Prison records

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

thomsos

Prison records

Post by thomsos » Sun May 04, 2008 3:51 pm

I have a dc1877 for a Martha McMillan ms Stewart who died in Perth Prison, she lived in glasgow, is there anywhere I can find out what she was sent to prison for?

Sandra
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun May 04, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Sandra,
This doesn't account for the incident in 1877, but here is something from the Glasgow Herald of 1 Nov 1875:

Martha Stewart or McMillan, a thief four times previously convicted, was sent to prison for four months for having, on the 24th September, stolen a wooden tub from a washing green in Green Street, Calton.

Not sure if her offences were serious enough to be found here, but Perth Prison records are held at the National Archives of Scotland:

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/crime.asp

Perth (General) Prison 1846-1913
HH21/47/1-8, HH21/48/1-5

All the best,
Sarah

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun May 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Just a thought on prison records; if making a trip to NAS to view them, ensure you order them in advance as they are likely not held in the buildings open to public access.

My look into prison records required two trips; one to see the (ordered in advance) indexes and then another trip was required as the documents I needed to see which were mentioned in the indexes also needed to be ordered in advance.

Best wishes
Lesley

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun May 04, 2008 9:52 pm

I was looking around on the net for some information just the other day and found this page at the NAS which explains it all:

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/crime.asp

Also, I like to look here but have never found anyone!

http://www.blacksheepindex.co.uk/

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

thomsos

Post by thomsos » Sun May 04, 2008 10:22 pm

SarahND wrote: This doesn't account for the incident in 1877, but here is something from the Glasgow Herald of 1 Nov 1875:

Martha Stewart or McMillan, a thief four times previously convicted, was sent to prison for four months for having, on the 24th September, stolen a wooden tub from a washing green in Green Street, Calton.
A bit a criminal was our Martha then, :roll: guess she must have been caught again for something else.

thanks to all, this gives me something to be getting on with.

Sandra
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley