Poor Relief in Inverness

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

heymarky

Poor Relief in Inverness

Post by heymarky » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:41 am

In 1851, my gggrandfather (Hugh Dyer) and a brother (James) and sister (Isabella) are living with their grandmother (Isabella Reid) next door to their Uncle (Hugh McBean) and his family on Tommnahurich Street in Inverness.

Back in 1841, the Dyer's are with their parents and other siblings on Havannah in Glasgow, College Parish.

By 1860 the three Dyer children are in Scott county, Iowa in the U.S.

It seems that something has happened to the family between '41 and '51 and I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to perhaps learn more.

It has occurred to me that Isabella Reid, when suddenly charged with the care of three young children at a late stage in her life, might have applied for poor relief to help take care of them.

Does this seem likely?

If it does, are there any existing poor relief records from Inverness from the 1841 - 1852 time frame?
Lyons and Dyers, McBeans, oh my!

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:40 am

Hi Heymarky
A quick look at http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html ... land.shtml
suggests that Inverness poorhouse was not built until 1859-61, so I'm not sure what the position would have been before that.

Ond of our other members may already have explored this area and know more about it, but if not, maybe try getting in touch with the archivist mentioned on the above page as they may be able to help, or Highland Council Archive Service here, who mention poor relief records:
http://www.highland.gov.uk/leisureandto ... larchives/

Best wishes
Lesley

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:31 pm

Hello All,
Just a bit of trivia.

Glasgow Herald, Monday, July 1, 1861
GOVERNOR and MATRON WANTED for the New Poorhouse at Inverness. It is expected that this Poorhouse (built for 200 inmates) will be opened by the 11th of November next, when the Paupers will be placed in it under the charge of a Resident Governor and Matron. Parties prepared to undertake the duties of those Offices from that date are requested to lodge sealed applications in their own handwriting, accompanied by certificates of fitness and character, with the Subscriber, by the 1st of August next. Joint Salary of Governor and Matron (who are required to be a married couple, whose children, if any, cannot be allowed to reside in the House), £89 a year, with Board and Lodging, or £120 without rations. Security to the extent of £100 will be required for their intromissions with the Cash and Property of the Parochial Board, Either the Governor or Matron must be able to speak Gaelic, and the Governor must be qualified to conduct the correspondence and keep the minute and account books and other books of the House. A preference will also be given to Candidates who have already had experience as officials or servants in Poorhouses or other public Institutions.
Candidates are requested to refer to the printed rules of the Board of Supervision, published in 1850 and 1854, in regard to the Management of Poorhouses, which will be strictly enforced, and any further information will be given by the Subscriber on being
applied to for it.
G. ANDERSON,
Inspector of the Poor of Inverness.
Office of Parochial Board,
1 Huntly Street, 26th June, 1861.

Glasgow Herald, Monday, November 4, 1861
MARRIAGES.
At Uddingston, on the 1st instant, by the Rev. Mr. Harper, of the Free Church, Bothwell, Mr. Donald Macfie, Governor of the New Poor House, Inverness, to Helen, second daughter of Mr. William Downs, Uddingston.

I wonder how he arranged all that, and how they got rid of the kids born 62, 64, 67, 68 (2), 70, 71, etc.

Alan

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Here is Mr Macfie & family in 1881

Institution: "Edinburgh Rd Poorshouse"
Census Place: Inverness, Inverness, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203420 GRO Ref Volume 098 EnumDist 4 Page 6
Donald MACFIE M 49 M Ardnamurchan, Argyll, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: House Governor
Helen MACFIE M 45 F Uddingston, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Occ: Matron Of Poorhouse
John D. MACFIE U 18 M Inverness, Inverness, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Law Clerk
Christina MACFIE U 16 F Inverness, Inverness, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Isabella MACFIE 12 F Inverness, Inverness, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
William MACFIE 9 M Inverness, Inverness, Scotland
Occ: Scholar
Alexander MACFIE 2 M Inverness, Inverness, Scotland
Mary MC DONALD U 30 F Glenmorriston, Inverness, Scotland
Rel: Serv
Occ: Cook (Domestic Serv)

heymarky

Post by heymarky » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:52 am

The Highland Council Archives replied to me. The people I am interested in were all in the US by 1852, so the records they have are all too late for me, but perhaps the information will be useful to someone else:
Highland Council Archives wrote:Thanks for your enquiry—we do hold here the surviving records of the Parochial Board of the Burgh of Inverness, which dealt with all matters relating to poor relief in the Burgh. These consist of the Board’s Minute books (from 1856 onwards), General Registers of Poor (from 1865 onwards) and Registers of Applications for Relief (from 1855 onwards). If the woman you are after did apply for and perhaps also receive poor relief from this Board, then it is very likely she would be mentioned in these records.

Usually, researchers from abroad who have no plans to come to Inverness themselves ask friends or relations in the UK to come and see us and search in the records for them. If you know someone who can do this for you, please ask them to contact us to make an appointment to see the papers. Otherwise, we can perform research on behalf of enquirers, at a cost of £15 per hour—I estimate that a search of the kind you need would take around 2 hours, at a cost of £30. If you would like this done, then the fee is payable by international bank draft or money order in sterling, made out to the Highland Council and sent to the above address.
Contact details can be found at http://www.highland.gov.uk/leisureandto ... lyhistory/

Happy Hunting!
Lyons and Dyers, McBeans, oh my!

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:15 am

Hi Heymarky,

Thanks for the information. You reminded me I still have to check a birth in the Poor House in Inverness. Maybe I'll get lucky! :D

Regards,
Anne H