St Rollox Institution

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Tracey
Global Moderator

St Rollox Institution

Post by Tracey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:21 pm

1891 WHITELAW MARY ANN F 18 ST ROLLOX GLASGOW/LANARK 644/06 095/06 042

I have just downloaded a 1891 census and it is obviously an Institution in St Rollox. I have looked on the Institutions web site (cant remember what it is called) there is nothing for St Rollox and i dont know where is where yet.
Would anybody have an idea which one this is. I can tell you its a page full of women inmates and the person that is on it is Catholic (if that makes a difference) and lived immediately before and after in Garngad Road.

I will also contact SP but thought i would ask here too.

Thanks
Tracey
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:29 pm

Just had another look at the header incase i had missed something and yes i had :roll: in scribble it says City Poor House. Now would this be Barnhill Poorhouse as Google ing City Poor House Barnihill comes up.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:47 pm

Ok i am probably answering my own questions here as i go a long :lol:
In 1905 the City Parish Poorhouse in Parliamentary Road closed and its inmates went to Barnhill, making it the largest poorhouse in Scotland.
So the City Parish Poorhouse was in Parliament Road. Is this the one that relates to my census do you think ?

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi Tracey
I think you might be right.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html ... sgow.shtml
It was in Parlimentary Road, which I seem to remember is no more.

Best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Re: St Rollox Institution

Post by nelmit » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:51 am

Tracey wrote:1891 WHITELAW MARY ANN F 18 ST ROLLOX GLASGOW/LANARK 644/06 095/06 042

I have just downloaded a 1891 census and it is obviously an Institution in St Rollox. I have looked on the Institutions web site (cant remember what it is called) there is nothing for St Rollox and i dont know where is where yet.
Would anybody have an idea which one this is. I can tell you its a page full of women inmates and the person that is on it is Catholic (if that makes a difference) and lived immediately before and after in Garngad Road.

I will also contact SP but thought i would ask here too.

Thanks
Tracey
Another institute in the area was 'The Little Sisters of the Poor' which has now moved to Robroyston.

There was a discussion before about it.

Regards,
Annette

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:58 am

Thanks Lesley and Annette

Maybe i should send a form in to SP just to make sure.

Tracey

wini

ST.ROLLOX INSTITUTION

Post by wini » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:01 pm

Can't help you Tracey, but I loved the discussion with yourself.
Glad I'm not the only one who does it.

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm

You get an awful lot sorted out when you talk to yourself dont you Wini :lol:

wini

ST. ROLLOX INSTITUTION

Post by wini » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:21 am

That is corrrect Tracey,
Sometimes you are the only intelligent person around, especially when you are by yourself..

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:53 pm

mailed SP and got a response from them today
Good morning

I am afraid we would not be able to confirm this as we do not hold these
original records - only GROS have these.
However the second page of that free header does advise the address as
Parliamentary Road, Glasgow.
So from that response i am taking it that it was the City Parish Poor House.

Case closed !

Thank you
Tracey