Ridge Park Children's Home and Dunavon Children's Home

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

mcblondie

Ridge Park Children's Home and Dunavon Children's Home

Post by mcblondie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi all,

Is there anyone out there familiar with Ridge Park Children's Home in Lanark and Dunavon Children's Home in Strathaven?

I'm looking to obtain info on any of these two children's homes but unfortunately can't find anything online.

Katie
Callaghan or Callahan & Callachan - Blantyre & Ireland. Polockus -(many variations) Blantyre, Bellshill & Lithuania, Worldwide. Young and Boyle - Hamilton and Fife also Ireland. O'Donnell from Hamilton and Ireland Hastie from Fife also Burns from Fife

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:41 am

Hello Katie,

Could you tell us please where you saw these Children’s Homes names and in what time period. Was it on a certificate of some kind, was it in connection with someone’s employment there or was it to do with someone who was an “inmate” and if so what was their age etc. Nothing much is coming up in searches and as many clues as you can provide may possibly help.

If you search the Scotsman Archives http://archive.scotsman.com/search.cfm for Dunavon Childrens Home as a phrase there is a result 29 November 1945. Does that time period fit with yours?

Alan

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:35 am

Hi Katie
Ridge Park Children's Home now seems to be a care Home for Autism , but other than that I was not coming up with much. Seemed to once belong to a "Mr. Charles Lindsay of Ridge Park, Lanark".

Best wishes
Lesley

c24wb19

Post by c24wb19 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:21 am

Dunavon Children's Home in Strathaven no longer exists. It was on the Commercial Road, and the site is now occupied by houses.

Not a lot of info on the actual home, but thought it might help. :)

mcblondie

Thank you

Post by mcblondie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:02 pm

Hiya,

I was just looking to find out when these establishments became Children's Homes and when they closed down. I just couldn't find much info on them on the web.

I was once a resident and was just looking back.

:)
Callaghan or Callahan & Callachan - Blantyre & Ireland. Polockus -(many variations) Blantyre, Bellshill & Lithuania, Worldwide. Young and Boyle - Hamilton and Fife also Ireland. O'Donnell from Hamilton and Ireland Hastie from Fife also Burns from Fife

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Back again Katie,

It’s a bit of a surprise sometimes when nothing turns up on the internet because so often there is at least something.

While I was looking I came across a government report http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications ... 20104729/0 and in chapter 5 it detailed some experiences of people trying to access children’s homes records. You may find it interesting.

All the best,
Alan

mcblondie

Thank you Alan

Post by mcblondie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:52 pm

I have saved the link and have read some of the stories given by child residents. Very sad, but very familiar,even although my days there where in the early 70's and it seems there was a basic pattern of abuse and lack of help from social services.

Once again thanks for the link.

mariemississippi

Re: Ridge Park Children's Home and Dunavon Children's Home

Post by mariemississippi » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:57 pm

mcblondie wrote:Hi all,

Is there anyone out there familiar with Ridge Park Children's Home in Lanark and Dunavon Children's Home in Strathaven?

I'm looking to obtain info on any of these two children's homes but unfortunately can't find anything online.

Katie

i was in ridge park from 1973 to 76, name is mare, i am aware of several things relating to this home, get in touch at downnoutneAThotmail,com

e-mail address modified to avoid potential spammers (AT=@) Russell

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi Mariemissippi
and a welcome to TalkingScot [scotland-flag]
Isn't it great to find a link for your very first post. I hope its the first of many as we like challenges on here.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

scallywag

Post by scallywag » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi katie I wrote a email to let you know I was a resedent of Dunavon home in 1944--1948-9 and would like to send some information I have On the home my name is Catherine(Kay to family and friends) I live in Tasmania(Australia) and would so very much like to make contact. However being new to this game> Computers>etc
I may have pressed the wrong icon and it was saved instead of sent!!! so hope you get this one!! Kay