Poor relief - Inverurie

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Ted

Poor relief - Inverurie

Post by Ted » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi Folks

Anyone have any idea if Poor Relief application records exist for Inverurie, Aberdeenshire. I have some long standing brick walls for some of my GGrandfathers siblings. Their mother Jane Aitken (widow of James Allan) died there in 1883 aged 74 - the death was registered by the local Inspector of the Poor - which suggests that she was in receipt of Poor Relief (she died at home - not in a Poorhouse).

I know that none of her childen were living there at that time - but I did read somewhere recently that Poor Relief application forms contained details of other family members not resident with the applicant etc. If records do exist and I can find one for Jane perhaps I might get a clue as to some of my missing brick walls - if you follow my logic.

So - any suggestions anyone?

Thanks lots

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:43 am

Hello Ted,

There’s some information here that may be useful
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 0998498182

Also here (also see link to the Poor Law Parish List)
http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/LocalHis ... mation.asp

Or page 17 towards the end of this document.
http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/downloads/infobook.pdf

Hope that helps,
Alan

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:07 am

Hi Alan

That's great - thanks for your help - I'll follow up with Aberdeen City Archives.

Much obliged

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire

Andrew C.

Post by Andrew C. » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:18 pm

Could you let us know how you get on with this process. I have someone in Peterhead in the 1851 census who I would be interested in finding some information on.

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:22 pm

No problem - but might be a wee while before I get around to it.

Regards

Ted

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi all,

A month or two ago I sent a research request to the ANESFHS looking for information from the Poor Relief applications for Aberdeen City. Just got the reply today. ANESFHS says that the poor relief applications for the City of Aberdeen have not survived. However, the application records do exist for most of the parishes in Aberdeenshire.

They also searched their Cemeteries Index which has lair records for St. Peters Cemetery, St. Nicholas Churchyard, John Knox Churchyard, Nellfield Cemetery and the Burial records for Old Machar Churchyard.

Unfortunately for me, my 2x great grandfather and 2x great grandmother were nowhere to be found. So my mystery remains, but maybe this information will be useful to someone else.

The people at ANESFHS are wonderful! If you haven't checked them out yet, you are missing a great resource. Their web site is:

www.anesfhs.org.uk

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary