Poorhouse look-up please?

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

ninatoo

Poorhouse look-up please?

Post by ninatoo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:03 pm

I know it is a busy time of year, but if there's anyone going to the Mitchell, I would appreciate a poorhouse look-up please! I can wait until after Christmas of course!

I am looking for Marion May Allen born 1 May 1888 in Glasgow,to John Lang Allen and Sarah Gordon. Her mother died when she was nearly two, and I can't trace her father after he re-married to Jessie Stanborough in 1892. I know Jessie re-married in 1899.

Thanks for reading!

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

ninatoo

Re: Poorhouse look-up please?

Post by ninatoo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

I don't mean to be a pest, but is anyone able to have a look for the above?

Nina :)
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:13 am

Just the nudge I need to get back into my family history.I will have a look next week..
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:55 am

Thanks Joette! I understand that nudge. Marion is mine, after her direct ancestor contacted me (my gg grandmother and Marion's mother were sisters).

Nina

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 am

Hi Joette,

Did you have any luck with this one?

Nina

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 am

Sorry have been unable to get there. Both my Mum & brother have been in hospital-two separate hospitals too.Jim is home but back on dialysis & unable to do much as he's recovering from pneumonia on top of everything.Mum still in hospital so I'm pretty much either house or hospital bound... Sorry.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 am

Oh please don't be sorry Joette! You have been where you were needed the most! I hope your mother and brother are on the road to recovery soon!

I know how family illness can be...this past six months my dad has been ill with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, and my daughter has quite a serious problem with her leg, so we have been back and forth to hospitals, and doctors, xrays and blood tests, and in between we have been house bound too. Both are recovering, but it is still a journey we are on.

So you can see that I quite understand what a situation you are in, and send you big hugs. xxx

jjlmary312

Post by jjlmary312 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 pm

HI

How do I go about finding out if a relative of mine was in a poorhouse or institution?. I know my great gran dad and his children are census records in Scotland but not his wife? Can I do this for free and what is the information I need to put into the search. I know she died in Hartswood Asylum in 19XX.

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 am

The records for the Glasgow area are kept at the Mitchell Library. Others are in various county archives. (Not all have survived). The Mitchell will look the records sup for you, but there is a fee.

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries ... /home.aspx
Elwyn

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:01 pm