Westhorn Reformatory School for Boys

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

SuzyC1978

Westhorn Reformatory School for Boys

Post by SuzyC1978 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi

I wondered if anyone might be able to give me a clue as to where to look for records from this school.

I am interested in particular in a Daniel Reilly who appears in the 1871 census in the School. I am not certain if he is my relative or not so was looking to see if I could find his admission records to find out more about him.

I called the Mitchel Library but they only have the admission records from 1932 onwards. They did suggest me speak to the Roman Catholic archives as they may have the records before then as the school was originally called Parkhead Roman Catholic Reformatory for Boys. I am not sure how to contact them though to find out.

Anyone have any ideas on where I could look. Daniel was born in Edinburgh in approx 1856.

Suzy

SuzyC1978

Re: Westhorn Reformatory School for Boys

Post by SuzyC1978 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:48 pm

I should have said the school is in Glasgow.

Currie

Re: Westhorn Reformatory School for Boys

Post by Currie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:44 am

Hello Suzy,

We’ve had a few enquiries over the years about Parkhead and I think it’s usually been suggested that Catholic Church Archives be contacted. Also possibly NAS. I don’t know if anyone had any luck with that. search.php?keywords=parkhead+reformatory

Parkhead Reformatory was located at Westhorn Mills and from its establishment in 1859 was known as Parkhead Reformatory for Roman Catholic Boys.

Catholic boys who got into trouble were sent there from various parts of the Country, and sometimes made an appearance in the newspapers, but I couldn’t find anything about then for a Daniel Reilly.

Scottish Catholic Archives. http://www.scottishcatholicarchives.org ... fault.aspx

Archdiocese of Glasgow. http://www.rcag.org.uk/history_intro.htm

Best of Luck,
Alan