Barnhill Poorhouse Records

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

stephlangan

Barnhill Poorhouse Records

Post by stephlangan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the Mitchell Library holds the records for the Barnhill Poorhouse for the 1890s?

I have a cousin that says they have been to the Mitchell to look something up for me and all the records for that period were destroyed. A very kind person on here once did a look up for me for a ancestor that was in the Poorhouse in the 1880s.

Also, does anyone know if the records for the St Joseph Industrial School for boys are available anywhere. I have a great uncle that died there at the age of 10. I would like to see if there is some information available to explain how and why he got there.

Many thanks
Stephanie
Attempting to research : Langan, McDonald, Cosgrove, Stevenson/Stevens, McConnachie, McAvoy, Mullan

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Barnhill Poorhouse Records

Post by paddyscar » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:55 am

I had a quick look on the Mitchell site, but didn't immediately find information. Perhaps this link and the contact information will be of help to you, until someone with 'hands-on' knowledge comes along.

http://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ ... urces.aspx

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Crookie43

Post by Crookie43 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi, Yes the Mitchell Library hs all the Poorhouse records from early 1800's

Jade

carlineric

Post by carlineric » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:20 pm

Kirsty Wilkinson's website has a listing of the poor records for the whole of Scotland at http://www.myainfolk.com/Resources_file ... h_Poor.pdf
Eric

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:59 pm

stephlangan wrote:Hi

Can anyone tell me if the Mitchell Library holds the records for the Barnhill Poorhouse for the 1890s?

I have a cousin that says they have been to the Mitchell to look something up for me and all the records for that period were destroyed. A very kind person on here once did a look up for me for a ancestor that was in the Poorhouse in the 1880s.

Also, does anyone know if the records for the St Joseph Industrial School for boys are available anywhere. I have a great uncle that died there at the age of 10. I would like to see if there is some information available to explain how and why he got there.

Many thanks
Stephanie
Hello Stephanie,

There is no definite answer to the question as not all the records survived. So yes they will have some, but perhaps not all, records from 1890.

The only way to find out if a particular application survives is to search the index at The Mitchell Library or email the Archivists but they may charge for the search.

Regards,
Annette

stephlangan

Post by stephlangan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Thank you everyone for replying to my question.

I contacted the Mitchell Library back in the summer with this question and a few others and never got an reply. They must be flooded with emails and its hard for them to respond to everyone.

I think I am just going to have to save up my pennies and find a way to come "home" and do the research myself. I haven't been home since 1998 so I am long overdue for a Fish Supper and an Irn Bru and a walk thru the Barras. I have tried to enlist the assistance of cousins and second cousins that I still have in Glasgow and none of them have the family tree addiction that I have.

I wish you all a very safe and Happy New Year. All the best in 2016.

Stephanie Langan
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Attempting to research : Langan, McDonald, Cosgrove, Stevenson/Stevens, McConnachie, McAvoy, Mullan

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:55 am

Hello Stephanie,

Here's an old post of yours on the same subject. Time flies.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1717

Here's some info about the Industrial School.

1902 [Cd. 1106] Forty-fifth report, for the year 1901, of the inspector appointed, under the provisions of the act 5 & 6 Will. IV. c. 38, to visit the certified reformatory and industrial schools of Great Britain. Part I.--List of schools and detailed reports.

School: Tranent Industrial School.
Date of Visits: 19.3.01, 23.8.01.
Inmates and Staff.
Total number in school: 198.
Voluntary cases: 6.
On licence: 21.
Absconders: -
Superintendent and matron, Mr. and Mrs. McGee.
Head teacher, Miss McGee; assistant teacher, Miss J. McGee.
A senior boy assists in the schoolroom.
Drawing master, Mr Cummings, attends weekly.
Assistant superintendent, Mr. W. McGee.
Tailor, drill instructor, bagpipe instructor, laundry women, gardener.
The only change in the staff is in the post of upholsterer.

Nature and Condition of Premises and Character of Surroundings:
There has been a good deal of painting done this year and the premises were clean and in good order. In contemplation is the erection of a playroom, for which plans have been passed. A useful suggestion is that the bath should be fitted as a shower-bath, on the system devised by St. Joseph's, Manchester. This is an economical means of securing fresh water for every boy.

Number Presented for Examination in each Standard with Results in Standard Subjects:
The general standard may be allowed to be good, though the lower standards are still a bit of a drag on the other classes. Standard VI. is a credit to the school. Standard II is marked good in consideration of its size, and the fact that had it been divided into two sections,; the upper would certainly have earned the award in marks.
{I haven't included the table in this transcription.}

Class and Extra Subjects Taken:
Singing (sol-fa), good. The boys sing uncommonly well. Mental arithmetic, good in VI, III, and II. Composition in V, and VI, good. Recitation, good on the whole. Geography, good. Object lessons on good lines had been given to the juniors. History readers had been used to good purpose.

Industrial Training:
Drawing is taken throughout the school on lines qualifying for the Government grant. In the tailor's shop technical instruction has been begun; the boys have made progress and are being made interested in their work. The upholsterer's shop now gives employment to 18 boys. The pipe band is now in full swing, and is proving the avenue through which boys proceed to the bands of Highland regiments.

Provision for Physical Training and Recreation:
Physical and military drills are practised under the supervision of a sergeant. who visits weekly. This training it will be possible to develop through free and applied gymnastics when the new recreation room is built. And the managers should not be satisfied until a standard is reached in this department equal to that of the best schools in the country. All that is required is careful and regular instruction and frequent practice. At football the boys play a fine game and deserve the position they have gained; they are now in the final tie for the Inspectors' cup.

State of Health:
There have been 3 deaths since last examination. The first occurred in May from hepatitis. Within a few days another boy died suddenly in the night, the cause was not certified. In June a lad who had been ill died of phthisis. In May and June there were 5 cases of pneumonia, and in December a case of pleurisy and 1 of bronchitis. From June, 1900, to the present time there appears to have been but little sickness except the two cases last recorded.

Conduct and Discipline:
This has been good. The record of major offences is a short one, and contains nothing that will not be found among healthy boys, e.g., the use of tobacco, tattooing, and impudence. A few boys had to be checked for laziness, and 3 for absconding from a working boys' home to which they had been licensed. The list of minor punishments is also satisfactorily short.

Remarks:
There is something attractive about this school; a really home-like air seems to pervade the place, and the boys frank and natural manners show the effects of the humanising influences at work in them. Not only does the staff take a keen interest in the welfare of the boys, but they are backed up by a sympathetic body of directors. The building of the new recreation room will be of the utmost advantage in giving much needed elbow-room.

Happy New Year,
Alan

stephlangan

Post by stephlangan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:38 pm

Alan

Wow that is amazing information. Doesn't sound like too bad a place..I was expecting something horrible like out of Charles Dickens.

Shame that Thomas didn't survive his time there, he died a few months after the 1901 Census from Pneumonia and Menningitis. Poor wee soul likely spent the majority of his short life alone and in an institution after his mother died when he was 4 years old. Heart breaking times to say the least.

Thank you for sharing this. Happy New Year.

Stephanie

stephlangan

Post by stephlangan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Alan

I just had another read thur what you sent me.

I think this line from your transciption refers to my Thomas.

State of Health:
There have been 3 deaths since last examination. The first occurred in May from hepatitis. Within a few days another boy died suddenly in the night, the cause was not certified

From the Death certificate I have, on May 16 1901 a William Mortiner age 15 died of Acute Menningitus...and on May 18 1901 Thomas age 11 died of Broncho Pneumonia and Menningitus. Although the report writer didn't have the cause of deaths correct, he must be referring to these boys.

Steph
Last edited by stephlangan on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rosie

Post by rosie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:19 am

Hi Stephanie

I don't know if some could have been destroyed and if they had it couldn't have been all of them as I have poor law records for my ancestors for the years 1890, 1894, 1898 and 1899

Hope this helps

Rosie
SEARCHING: CLARK(DUMBARTONSHIRE AND IRELAND )DONNELLY(LANARK) BAIRD( LANARK AND NEWKILPTRICK)COWAN(ANDERSTON AND IRELAND)COOK( ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS)ANGUS(ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS) GAULT or GALT( PARTICK AND NEWKILPATRICK)