Larbert Asylum

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

shorty

Larbert Asylum

Post by shorty » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm

Hoping for some help in locating where my Great Great Grandmother Ann Kenny ne Stewart is buried. she died in Larbert asylum on 29th November 1914. Her husband was Alexander Kenny,her parents William Stewart and Elizabeth Burns.
I was wondering if she would have been buried within the Asylum grounds if they had a cemetery. She was originally from Kilsyth and was married there but can't find her there.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Larbert Asylum

Post by paddyscar » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:35 am

Hi Shorty, and a warm welcome to TalkingScotQ [scotland-flag]

Unable to locate her on http://www.findagraveinscotland.com/, but have found contact info regarding Larbert deaths and burials http://archives.wordpress.stir.ac.uk/contact-us/

Mental Health Records

Bellsdyke Hospital, Larbert, was set up in September 1865 as Stirling District Lunacy Asylum and the first patients arrived in June 1869. In the 1930s it was known as Stirling District Mental Hospital and in 1960 the name Bellsdyke Hospital was adopted.

Surviving pre 1948 patient records from this hospital are held by Stirling University Archives. These records consist of registers and some case files. They are un-catalogued and are not available for public inspection, however, the archivist is able to conduct some limited research in response to telephone, email and written enquiries.

I would suggest that someone with greater information will be along to add to this. In the meantime, you may be interested in searching our site for previous mentions of Larbert burial records. You may do this by pressing the Search button on the upper right immediately below the broad blue banner and entering your query.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:15 am

Hi Shorty
I can't give you specific information about Larbert but when I worked in Leverndale hospital in the 1960's the policy was to inform the family about the death so that they could arrange burial/cremation in the place of their choice. Many times though the family had moved and contact was lost so the hospital would arrange burial at the cemetery nearest the hospital.
When the person had been in the same ward for years often staff members would go to the burial if they were off duty which was a caring touch !

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

shorty

Post by shorty » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Thank you everyone for quick reply,i will look into your suggestions .