saint marys industrial school.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

maceill

saint marys industrial school.....

Post by maceill » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:45 pm

I have posted this before,ages ago, just wondering if anyone has any info on this school
saint marys industrial school abercromby street glasgow.
thanks
mceill

Jack

Re St Mary's Industrial School

Post by Jack » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:51 am

Hi Maceill,
It wouldn't do any harm contacting Archives at The Mitchell Library, Glasgow.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... lyHistory/

Staff are always very helpful, but always busy with a variety of queries.
Jack

maceill

industrial school

Post by maceill » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:36 pm

thanks for the reply Jack, have contacted Mitchell Library, they have no records ,of this school also went to the archives at the Cathedral but they have no info.Another thing that puzzles me , i cant find the school on the 1881 census, i could be mistaken, but the presbetary seems to be on
regards
maceill

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:24 pm

Hi Maceill
Its mentioned on this page for 1866, as "Catholic Orphanage and Industrial School. 72 Abercromby Street, Glasgow" but you have probably seen this already I suspect.
http://www.institutions.org.uk/reformat ... _staff.htm

It seems to have been associated with the Church which is still there
http://www.saintmarycalton.org.uk/
I wonder if they might have any info? It says on their page:
Saint Mary’s Parish was founded the same year the Parish Church was opened – 1842. We have a long and interesting history and the story of our parish will be added to in the coming months – we look forward to sharing our life with you.

Maybe worth getting in touch with?
Saint Mary’s
89 Abercromby Street
Glasgow
G40 2DQ
Tel:
+44 141 554 0872
Email:
Admin@saintmarycalton.org.uk

Best wishes
Lesley

TD
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

maceill

industrial school

Post by maceill » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:35 pm

thanks for the reply, when i was in glasgow last october ,i went to st marys and asked about this school, but they knew nothing about it.
an old gentleman, told me the records are stuck in an attic or some other nook or cranny,and will be found one day,i think this may be the case. the archives at the catherdral, have some records on the boys school in glasgow, but the girls records have dissappeared.
as a matter of interest has anybody else had ancestors in this school
regards
maceill

Margaretk

Post by Margaretk » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:34 am

I had several male anxestors (brothers and cousins of my grandfather) all born in the early 1890's sent to this school for varying lengths of time. The longest being for 4 years, after which this boy spent some time on a farm in Ireland. I don't know if he ws sent there by the Church, but the family had origins in Ireland - I still have not been able to find if there were any relatives still in Ireland at this time

According to the poor relief reports these boys were sent to St. Mary's after being in the Govan Poor House. The report cited abandonment by parents. In one family the mother had been committed to a mental institution in another the father had died leaving his wife with a large family including a weeks old baby.
I guess social workers didn't have to be PC then!!

EllenGanssle

Re: industrial school

Post by EllenGanssle » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:48 pm

maceill wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:35 pm
thanks for the reply, when i was in glasgow last october ,i went to st marys and asked about this school, but they knew nothing about it.
an old gentleman, told me the records are stuck in an attic or some other nook or cranny,and will be found one day,i think this may be the case. the archives at the catherdral, have some records on the boys school in glasgow, but the girls records have dissappeared.
as a matter of interest has anybody else had ancestors in this school
regards
maceill
My great-aunt, Margaret Gunning, was on the 1881 Census. She was listed incorrectly as "Gumming". I can't find any trace of her after that. Her brother, my great-grandfather was in Parkhead Reformatory at the same time.