poorhouses.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

BillyF

poorhouses.....

Post by BillyF » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:38 pm

Hi guys did I see a letter refering to Barnhill Poorhouse and if so where can you go for any info on the people who eventually ended up in them I know it was a fearful place as I grew up in Springburn and my wee sis in law is now a resident in the old grounds of Foresthall(barnhill) my wifes ancestor died in there and he was originally Irish it was to see if I can get a county name for his birth etc.
Billy F
researching the Fleming,Bennett,Brannigan,Mooney,McIlroy, Stewart & Gamble families

Jack

Re Poorhouses

Post by Jack » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:00 pm

Hi Billy,

I see you're in Glasgow - if you can manage to visit The Mitchell Library they have the Poor Law applications name indexed.
Click on Poor Law archives to see what they have.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... lyHistory/

Some records give a wealth of information - others next to nothing, and occasionally they say where in Ireland, but please don't build up your hopes too much on this if there is a record.

Jack

BillyF

poorhouses

Post by BillyF » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:10 pm

Cheers for that info Jack I thought I had seen it here before but couldn't remember. I will take a wee run down and see if I can dig anything .
BillyF
researching the Fleming,Bennett,Brannigan,Mooney,McIlroy, Stewart & Gamble families