East Park Home, Maryhill

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

alimail

East Park Home, Maryhill

Post by alimail » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:46 pm

Just wondered if anyone could tell me if there are any records in existence relating to children who were looked after at East Park Cottage Home on Maryhill Road. Two of my relations were there, and I'd love to find out more about how what happened to them etc.
Thanks in anticipation!
Ali

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi Ali,

Take a look at this thread, where you'll find infomation on "East Park"

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6922

Regards
Marilyn

mds1203

John Ferris, Glasgow, b.1866 d.1883 16yo

Post by mds1203 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:30 pm

marilyn morning wrote:Hi Ali,

Take a look at this thread, where you'll find infomation on "East Park"

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6922

Regards
Marilyn
Hi Marilyn, have you ever heard of a connection between Broomhill Hospital (Kirkintilloch) and East Park Home (Maryhill)? I traced some info for John Ferris admitted at Broomhill, he died at the age of 16 in 2nd Jan 1883. I have just come across a headstone at the Glasgow Necropolis which relates to the Children of East Park Cottage Home and there is a John Ferris 16yo died 02/01/1883. The exact name and death of my Great Uncle.

Currie

Re: East Park Home, Maryhill

Post by Currie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:48 am

Hello there,

I don't think there should be any doubt it's the same John Ferris.

There were movements of people between different institutions etc as mentioned in these extracts from newspaper reports of the annual meeting in connection with East Park Cottage Home for Infirm Children.

Glasgow Herald, Tuesday, October 26, 1880
“during the past year 25 children had come and gone to the Cottage Home, leaving 31 inmates. Many of the children had been restored to their parents in greatly improved health, and fit to attend school. Others found incurable had been removed to existing institutions—3 to Broomhill, and 1 to Mr Quarrier’s Home—while 4 had died during the year.”

Glasgow Herald, Tuesday, October 31, 1882
“at the last annual meeting there were in the Home 33 inmates; admitted during the year, 29—total, 62. Of these there were returned to their parents or friends much benefited, 5; lodged with guardians, and attending industrial schools, 4; taken over by Parochial Boards, 2; died in the Home, and buried in East Park lair, Necropolis, 3; do., buried by parents, 1—total, 15, so that there were in the Home at this date 47. Owing to the nature of their ailments most of the children had required longer care and attention than usual, and consequently there had been fewer changes during the past year than in any one year since the Home was opened. Of the above 15, who had left during the year, six had been inmates since 1879; and of the 47 at present in the Home, 19 were inmates at last annual meeting; and three of these were admitted as far back as 1877, 1878, 1879.”

Hope that helps,
Alan

mds1203

Re: East Park Home, Maryhill

Post by mds1203 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks Alan, that was very interesting. I will try and see if I can find out some more. I know John was blind and do not think his mother was capable of caring for him. His 10 yo brother ended up in the Industrial School in Abercrombie St, sentenced to 5 years for trying to steal from a shop.