New Crookston

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

karenmcc

New Crookston

Post by karenmcc » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:31 am

Hi All,

I have my gggrandfathers death April 11th 1921. The DC gives his place of death as New Crookston. I have seen from another post on this forum that this is possibly a home for the aged.

His usual residence on the DC is 16 Langlands st Kilmarnock, where he was living with his son (my ggrandfather) and his very large family. I know the family were not well off and I doubt they would have been able to pay for something like this. What I am wondering is, would there have been some sort of application made to the poorlaw board at this late date (1920's) and if so, would someone please be kind enough to have a look for me?

He is registered as Joseph McCUBBIN CUNNINGHAM, and his age is 72.

thank you
Karen
Lochiel, McKinlay, McGibbon/McCubbin, Cunningham, McDougall, Burnside - Lanarkshire->Ayrshire.
Hay, Hannah, - Kirkcudbright.
McIntosh, McQuaters/McWatters, White, - Kilmarnock
Murdoch, Hope, McMillan - Muirkirk

Russell

New Crookston

Post by Russell » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:56 pm

Hi Karen

Since no one has picked up on your post and I must have missed it initially lets have a stab at it.

The only Crookston I know is the area around Crookston Castle and near Leverndale Hospital on the outskirts of Glasgow.
If it was in that area the most likely place would be the ex-poor house which was just along the road. It later became a residential home for the elderly.
To try to pin this down to an actual place - Which parish was his death registered in :?:
Was there any indication of where this institution was :?:

Kilmarnock is a long way from Crookston and even in the 1920's there was almost nothing round about except the Asylum (then called Hawkhead Asylum) and its home farm just across the road from the old poorhouse.
I think that the Poorhouse earlier was in Renfrewshire but Kilmarnock, as you know, is in Ayrshire so I don't see any connection between the various places.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:40 am

A Google search for "New Crookston" brings up a reference to another death about the same time in Barrhead & Levern, Renfrew (is that a Registration District?)

http://awt.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/igm.c ... 47&ti=5538

Alan

karenmcc

Post by karenmcc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:42 am

Hi Russell and Alan,

Yes, this death was in the District of Barrhead and Levern, Renfrew.

There's another post that deals with Crookston under the subject of Poorhouse Nitshill (i think). When I read through this post the first time, for some reason I got the idea that the Poorhouse was closed down by 1921.

Would "New Crookston" be the Renfrew Combination Poorhouse then? He was born in Rutherglen, and I see from the Poorhouse website that this is one of the parishes covered by this Poorhouse.

Karen
Lochiel, McKinlay, McGibbon/McCubbin, Cunningham, McDougall, Burnside - Lanarkshire->Ayrshire.
Hay, Hannah, - Kirkcudbright.
McIntosh, McQuaters/McWatters, White, - Kilmarnock
Murdoch, Hope, McMillan - Muirkirk

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:39 am

Hi Karen

There was no Poorhouse in Crookston in 1898 but it was there on the 1939 map directly opposite Old Crookston farm so I think that's the spot your looking for.
Nitshill was certainly in Renfrewshire at that time.
I hadn't realised that Rutherglen was part of the parish group. :shock: It's a heck of a long way away (in Scottish terms :? )

I'll scan in the map sections and e-mail them to you.
I just happened to have theses particular maps to hand because I worked in Hawkhead Asylum/Leverndale Hospital and have an interest in its history. I was just about to file them away when I saw your post :D :D

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny