Ardrossan Shipbuilding

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Waverley

Ardrossan Shipbuilding

Post by Waverley » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:22 am

My Grand father & Great grand father were both ships carpenters and resided in Ardrossan and I am assuming that the would have worked in the local ship builders yards.
Where should I start my research? all advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Jim

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:04 am

Hi Jim and Welcome to TalkingScot [scotland-flag]

Would you like to let us know what time period you are dealing with, and if give us their names and that of any of the family, perhaps there may be someone who can start you off in the right direction.

Depending on the time frame, there may be something listed in the census, or are you looking for birth/marriage/death certificates?

The more you can give us about what you have and what you are looking for, the more likely we'll be able to help.

All the best,
Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Hugo

Post by Hugo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:24 am

Jim,

They may also have worked in the shipyard in Troon, which is just down the coast.

Hugo
Hugo

The more you know, the more you know how little you know. (My science teacher)

[scotland-flag]

nelmit

Re: Ardrossan Shipbuilding

Post by nelmit » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:42 am

Waverley wrote:My Grand father & Great grand father were both ships carpenters and resided in Ardrossan and I am assuming that the would have worked in the local ship builders yards.
Where should I start my research? all advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Jim
I now a couple of mine who were ship's carpenters actually sailed.

A wee bit about Ardrossan here.

Regards,
Annette

Waverley

Ardrossan Ship Building

Post by Waverley » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks to all who wrote.
My GGF James Wilson b 12/1/1848 at Craigie son of James & Mary (Hendry) Wilson.

James Married 26/11/1874 at Boglemart Street, Margaret Guthrie b 21/3/1851 daughter of Peter & Marion (Scott) Guthrie. Margaret died 29/11/1911 at Willowbank, Caledonia Road Saltcoats

GGF James was employed as a ships carpenter 1868

My GF James Wilson b1882 at Craigie son of James & Margaret (Guthrie) Wilson.
James was employed as Joiner/Carpenter in 1900

I would also like to know what order his children were born, they had 7 children and I think the younger ones were born in Glasgow.

I look forward to your response if possible
Regards James

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi James
would also like to know what order his children were born, they had 7 children and I think the younger ones were born in Glasgow.
A look at the census would give you a good idea of that; 1881, 1891 & 1901

Best wishes
Lesley

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:26 am

Hi James,
As Lesley said, the censuses will tell you a good deal about the family. I can only see evidence of 5 living children, but there is a 7 year gap between James and his younger brother Thomas. All the children appear to have been born in Saltcoats, Ardrossan. To help you find them, since there are so many Wilsons about:

In 1881 James Sr is not with the family. He is lodging in Partick on census night, but Margaret and the first three children are in Ardrossan.

In both 1891 and 1901 they are together in Ardrossan. You should have no trouble finding them on Scotland's People.

Let us know how you get on!

All the best,
Sarah

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:13 am

Hi,

In my experience, carpenters often went to sea too. Sailing ships, particularly the pre iron (wooden or iron clad) ones, needed them to keep all the mechanisms going (greasing them, keeping them in full working order etc).

An article appears in the Liverpool Mercury on Saturday, July 31, 1869 (Issue 6713) in which a James Wilson, carpenter on board a ship named the Globe was a witness in an inquiry about a fatal incident which happened on the Mersey.

Send me your email by PM if you think it may be relevant and I'll get it to you.

There's loads of great info about researching seafarers on this site. Do a search and it'll take you to it.

Regards,
Ann

q98

Ardrossan Ship Building

Post by q98 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:36 am

"Boglemart Street" is in the Parish of Stevenston which is immediately adjacent to Saltcoats which, in turn, is immediately adjacent to Ardrossan. Caledonia Road is most certainly in Saltcoats.

A Death Notice for Margaret Gurthrie Wilson MAY be found in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald of 1st December 1911. There may also be Funeral and other notices from her children. E-mail
localhistory[AT]north-ayrshire.gov.uk [replace AT with the usual]
and request a lookupf of A&S Herald, 1st Dec 1911 edition.

Good hunting
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

Waverley

Post by Waverley » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:38 am

Thanks to all for your comments. I have had my computer board upgraded and I now hope to get back into my research
Jim