glasgow iron works

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

clare2320

glasgow iron works

Post by clare2320 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi
I'm trying to find out something about an iron works in Glasgow called, at different times, Charles McNeil & co, or McNeil forge, or Kinning Park Ironworks . I know it was started by either my great, or great great grandfather, Charles McNeil, and I think made bits for ships boilers etc. I am also interested in a John McNeil who owned the colonial Ironworks in glasgow - not sure he's a relation but suspect he is.

First posting so hope someone can help! Thanks in advance

Clare

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:35 pm

welcome To TS Clare,
I do know the place you are asking about, though I don't know any details about it.

It popped up recently in a search on Kinning Park on the http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/ site.

There are a few photos of it there.

Kinning Park Ironworks 570 Scotland Street, seems to have been it's address.

A google search brings up all sorts of interesting snippets - in 1900 it was Chas. McNeil jnr advertising Manhole Covers and Ladles so there must have been a Snr Chas.
Wilma

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:41 am

Hi Clare:

A couple of small mentions -

Charles McNeil, 14 Kinning St. is noted in this family History http://www.garrion.co.uk/diary1853/mcneil.htm

www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA01413 - Copy of an advertisement showing Charles McNeil's patented products

Contact the Mitchell Library in Glasgow for assistance with their business archives

Please contact us for further information if you are interested in a particular company or type of business:

Archives and Special Collections
The Mitchell
North Street
Glasgow
G3 7DN
Phone: 0141 287 2910 or 2988
Fax: 0141 287 2815
E-mail: archives@csglasgow.org

There are also Glasgow newspapers available on microfilm and other materials where they may have information on Charles.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:10 am

1927 Glasgow Directory under M'Neill has this entry:

M'Neill, Chas, Ltd, boiler makers, motor accessories, and foundry requisites, and forge masters, 270 West Scotland St, : tel. add., "M'Neil, Glasgow" tel No. Ibrox 820.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... x-glas.htm

Scroll down to Names Section, it's at "1927names461jpeg".

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

clare2320

Post by clare2320 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Thankyou all, very much. Some useful leads, and I'm pleased to have had such a good response.
I wonder if there's any other descendants out there, I'd love to hear from you if so

Clare
interest in Parkhill - glasgow, Fleck- ayrshire, McNeil - glasgow, McNeill - Southend, Argyll

jim oneill

Re: glasgow iron works

Post by jim oneill » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:41 pm

HI Clare I served my apprentiship in mc neils 570 scotland st 1964/1969 Mr John mc neil was the main man then a tall man with one leg,rumour has it he lost his leg in the forge in an accident.Robin mc neil was there as well maybe a nephew.It was a great place to work good luck with you search :D

momat

Re: glasgow iron works

Post by momat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:18 am

Hi Clare,
I wonder if there's any other descendants out there, I'd love to hear from you if so
Have a look on http://www.genesreunited.com as there are some very recent McNeils in Glasgow on there.
Maureen