Chemists Assistant

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

runmerry

Chemists Assistant

Post by runmerry » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:41 pm

I have two ancestors, John and William Hutcheon who were both chemists assistants in the late 1800's early 1900's.
I wonder if anyone could tell me what a chemists assistant did in those days i.e. did they do dispensing, were they just shop assistants or were they perhaps apprentices learning a trade?
If they were learning to be chemists what level of education would they have to have?

Regards
Jenny

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:33 am

Hello Jenny,

This document sets out the evolution of Pharmacy and the history of the Pharmaceutical Society in the U.K. http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/pdfs/musevb2.pdf

There’s some more here about qualifications. Note the references to the Pharmaceutical Society’s Minor and Major Examinations. Passing the Minor Examination would produce a qualified assistant and the Major a qualified chemist. http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/pdfs/tracing.pdf

The Pharmaceutical Act of 1868 was probably the one in force when your two became Assistant Chemists. This 1868 edition of the Pharmaceutical Journal has a copy of the legislation and some discussion on earlier pages about its effect on the trade and much mentioning of Assistants from about page 564. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=XgE ... 22&f=false

Here are a few summaries of items in the 19th Century newspapers. It seems that at the time there may have been more than one variety of “Chemists Assistant”. Juniors running messages, unqualified individuals working in the shop, and qualified persons assisting the Chemist or managing shops and whatever.

1870 – Chemists Assistant wanted, a junior immediately, unexceptionable references required, Cardiff.
1871 – Chemists Assistant wanted to manage a branch. Must understand prescribing and tooth extraction, Wolverhampton.
1871 – To Chemists Assistants, vacancy for a Junior or Improver. Two at this establishment successfully passed the last preliminary examination, Cardiff.
1875 – Chemists Assistant wanted. An active trustworthy assistant wanted, Bridgend.
1875 – Chemists Assistant wanted for a Dispensing Family Business. Apply with references, Dundee.
1885 – Wanted an Assistant Chemist to take charge of an establishment in town, Aberdeen.
1888 – A gentleman in Birmingham mentions that he passed one of the South Kensington examinations in Chemistry and for 18 months worked as a shop assistant for Alexander Mitchell, chemist. Later referred to the job as “Chemists Assistant”.
1888 – Chemists Assistant wanted. Must passed examination. A firm of Wholesale and Retail Druggists are desirous of meeting with a thoroughly competent man as manager, to Open Branch Drug Stores, with a view to partnership. Highest references and Security required Birmingham.
1892 – Wanted immediately qualified Chemists Assistant state salary, references and full particulars, Cardiff.
1894 – Wanted Chemists Assistant (Junior) out of apprenticeship, age, height testimonials, Glasgow.
1895 – Chemists Assistant charged with contravention of 1st and 15th sections of pharmacy act 1868. Not being a duly registered pharmaceutical chemist or a chemist or druggist within the meaning of the Act. He sold laudanum etc, Ayr.
1896 – Mr Godden, the Chemists Assistant who served the lemonade, denied that he threw a bottle of scent at the defendant who claimed that sixpence for a glass was a swindle
1898 – Chemists Assistant wanted, Junior (outdoors) accustomed to general trade. Apply with usual particulars, Cardiff.

Hope that’s useful,
Alan

runmerry

Post by runmerry » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi Alan,
That's just magic!!
I couldn't think of where to start looking.
Strangest thing is I worked in a pharmacy for many years and never thought to look at the Pharmaceutical Societys web site, too used to using it for present day info.

Many Thanks

Jenny

david macdiarmid

Re: Chemists Assistant

Post by david macdiarmid » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:11 am

:? Hi Jenny and Alan,What would a Druggist be?19th century Re Alex Leburn Auchtermuchty,David :?:
Banks,Bennet-Clark,Bird,Cholat,Clark,Clay,Dupre,Dupuis,Fraser,Grant,Gunn,Hooper
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

runmerry

Post by runmerry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi David,
An alternative name for a chemist.
There is a weekly trade magazine for pharmacists in the U.K. called "The Chemist & Druggist" which was first published in 1859 and is still going today. There is also a trade directory of all the prices of medications called the "Chemist & Druggist" issued monthly which we used to price prescriptions in pre-eletronic days now computers do all that.

Regards
Jenny

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi Jenny,Thanks for you reply,I came across a druggist last night,around 1850 and it appeared to be like a caf'e,selling teas etc.This shop was in Markinch in Fife,so i must confess,i was somewhat thrown,by the term Druggist, :roll: Regards,David
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

runmerry

Post by runmerry » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi David,
I think that is probably right, at that time they didn't have the kind of medications we have today and would have relied a lot on herbal preparations which would have been made as infusions i.e. herbal teas. Some herbs being quite bulky would not have been suitable to be made into pills. Chinese medicine still relies a lot on herbs and infusions.

Some of the drugs we use today originally came from herbs, Aspirin - willow bark, digitalis- foxglove, quinine- cichona bark, all now made synthetically and of course chemists are still interested in botanical sources for new drugs, there is a chemotherpy drug made from the yew tree.

Chemicals were being used in medicine at this time too, though some did more harm than good such as arsenic, used by Victorian ladies for the complexion and as a tonic, hence the term chemist & druggist, combining both aspects of the pharmaceutical trade at the time.

Oh dear, once I start I do go on!!

I find it a fascinating subject and with medication we seem to have come so far in such a short time.

Regards
Jenny

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Jenny

Please don't apologise for being enthusiastic :D

TS works best because we have folks who are enthusiastic about such a wide variety of topics relevant to all the background information we need to understand how our ancestors lived. I was the same with weaving topics and ended up writing a post to go into the library so anyone using the search facility could find answers. Keep waxing lyrical about topics most of the rest of us don't know about or understand =D> =D>

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

carlineric

Post by carlineric » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:42 am

The BBC showed an interesting series last year called "The Victorian Pharmacy" which is available on DVD. It took you from the 1850s when regulations were starting to be introduced until the early 1900s and showed how the pharmacy business developed over the years. They were unable to produce some of the concoctions due to the dangerous nature of the ingredients (many are very poisonous) but were able to produce some of the safe ones. The role taken by the PHD student Tom Quick would give you some idea of what a chemist's assistant would do.

Eric
Eric

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:11 pm

[skeleton]Hi Jenny and Eric,I can't help feeling that some of the potions you mentioned,led to an early passing for some O:) It must have been a suck it and see approach to a certain extent,not sure if a witch doctor may have been preferential.Anyway it has been an interesting topic,on something i knew very little about until a few days ago,Many Thanks,David