Thomas Hume: plumber & gasfitter, Stafford Street, Edinburgh

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

doddie

Thomas Hume: plumber & gasfitter, Stafford Street, Edinburgh

Post by doddie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:20 pm

I have a combination of questions. My g.grandfather Alexander Stewart (1867-1925) was a plumber by trade and in 1900 set up his own business in Argyll. Prior to that he worked for Thomas Hume (& Son?) a plumber and gasfitter with premises at 2a Stafford Street, Edinburgh. I am trying to establish whether, as a rule, the numbering of streets stays the same. Secondly, does anybody possibly know if there exists a photographic archive relating to the area near Stafford street. Finally, (I promise) is there anyone out there who is related to Thomas Hume? I would like to find out a bit more about him. All I know in addition to the above is that he was born c. 1841 and his later private family residence was in Cambridge Street (opposite the Usher Hall) in Edinburgh and that the business was still operating under the same name until at least the 1970's.

Regards

Doddie

Hibee

Re: Thomas Hume: plumber & gasfitter, Stafford Street, Edinburgh

Post by Hibee » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi Doddie

I believe that, when street numbering was first introduced, it was rather haphazard. It was standardised, I think, in the mid 19th century, and generally numbered outwards from the town/city centre.

Have not found any old pics of Stafford Street, but Alexander may have popped in here after a hard day's plumbing.

Hibee
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi Doddie,

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=s ... 61,,1,3.85

Although generally listed as 2 Stafford Street, I think the House of Hearing (the one with the white and blue frontage) should be number 2a. Both the House of Hearing and the Yorkshire Building Society advertise as being at number 2. One website quotes the House of Hearing at number 2a.

All the best,

AndrewP

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Maybe your G-Grandfather plumbed the Turkish Baths or maintained them :) His skills as plumber & gas-fitter would have been useful to the Establishment.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

doddie

Post by doddie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Hibee, Andrewp and joette, apologies for taking so long to get back to you. Thanks for getting in touch. Made me chuckle to think of my g. grandfather planking himself out on a slab amidst the steam of the turkish baths. I suppose he would have deserved a bit of R&R like anybody else. Will keep you posted about further progress with my query.

Ta

Doddie