Dance Master 1796 v Robbie Williams 2006?

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

david macdiarmid

Dance Master 1796 v Robbie Williams 2006?

Post by david macdiarmid » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:38 am

Hi Guy's I have re-discovered a cad,it seems,after discounting him 25 odd years ago.I spent an enjoyable afternoon in the Special Collections room in St Andrews University,recently.I was reading the Kirk Sessions, from Auchtermuchty in Fife,from about 1750 to 1800.In general i was looking for my "Muchty Watson's".Who were my Gr Gr Grandmother Janet,her Sister Isabella and William,Janet's Son William.I have them on the 1841 Cencus in Burntisland,Fife,where i know they moved to,Janet 75,Isabella 80 and William 45,he was a Master Baker.Anyway back to Auchtermuchty's Kirk Sessions,you could have knocked me over with a feather,when i discovered my Janet brought before the KS in suspicion of being pregnant,she was sent off to be "investigated" by a midwife at the cost of three pounds.When she had returned to the KS,i think she had given birth to William ,with her was Mr Alex Leburne,Dance Master.He of course denies pre nuptual fornication,but together they stood to get a dressing down,Janet was accused of lewd behaviour :oops: etc etc.They were then flung out of the kirk for non attendance.It would seem this Dance Master liked the attention of the Ladies because a year later he has another child to Lilias Morrison namely Helen Moncrieff OPR Births 406/00 0010 0186.I cannot find head nor hair of this chap or his family after 1796,but if indeed he was guilty of pre nuptual fornication with my Janet then he would be my Gr Gr Grandfather.Where can i find information on his later whereabouts?What indeed was a Dance Master?Would the Ladies have the same kind of attraction to Alex as they do to Robbie,what i am trying to say would a Dance Master 1796 have Groupies?And Lesley if you have your Black's book to hand on Scottish surnames,could you check out Leburn* for me,Thanks for listening,David :-
Banks,Bennet-Clark,Bird,Cholat,Clark,Clay,Dupre,Dupuis,Fraser,Grant,Gunn,Hooper
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

LesleyB

Re: Dance Master 1796 v Robbie Williams 2006?

Post by LesleyB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:31 am

David - no sign of surname Leburn(e) (or Leaburn or Layburn) in Blacks. It goes from Leask to Leckie.

I suspect a Dance Master would be a professional teacher of dancing (I'd guess probably dance of the social variety, rather than ballet etc.) , so plenty opportunity to meet ladies and even have a form of physical contact with them which would have seemed inappropriate perhaps with others; he'd need to be able to demonstrate dance moves and lead the ladies through them, I'd guess.

I found this rather interesting publication; it is English & earlier, but gives a wee flavour
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~flip ... /cover.gif
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~flip ... yford.html

Best wishes
Lesley

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:41 pm

:( Hi Lesley,thanks for that,I did not think Leburne had a Scottish ring to it,but hey,who would have believed that Plenderleith was a Scottish name.The Dance Master must have had a right jolly old time,there appears to be a bit of kissing in dance 88,it is probably all very innocent,but i suppose if you are teaching, you have to be hands on :oops: ,so to speak.What kind of musical instruments would be used,do you think,being before the time of records and cd's,i assume some sort of band must have been present,David :lol:
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi David

I think I wold have enjoyed being a 'Dancing Master' in the late 1700's. His pupils would all be of the gentry. Wives and daughters striving to fit into posh society.
Many different instruments were in common use and there would be lots of folk skilled enough to provide basic music. Fife, fiddle, tabor, penny whistle would all have served the purpose.
In earlier times in England one man would play fife and tabor giving both tune and rhythm.
Having someone in the family able to play an instrument of some sort was almost essential in the absence of our easy access entertainment centres.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Russell,I agree,it sounds like a fine job and i think the Robbie link,may not be far off the mark.Of course i am not saying Robbie did these things,in case his lawyer is a TS contributor. :shock: But i can't help thinking that the Dance Master Alex Leburn was a very popular man :wink: .The big question is where did he go,I have found someone of the same name and profession buried in Muchty kirkyard.But this layout plan was written in 1818 as i don't know when he was born i can't guess his age at 1818.The guy in the kirkyard may have been Alex's Dad for example :cry: ,Regards David

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Hello David,

There was an 18th Century Fiddler from Fife named Alexander Leburn who used to Fiddle with the Fiddle as well. He was from Auchtermuchty, and you can still buy his music it seems.

According to the Caledonian Mercury, Saturday, November 23, 1833, an Alexander Leburn was then a Bailie of Auchtermuchty. That suggests money, try the Wills on SP.

Goodnight,
Alan

johnniegarve

Post by johnniegarve » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Obviously the rhythm method hadn't been invented yet but the dancing master seems to have had a flair for it!

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:54 pm

[raise-glass] Hi Guy's and Slainte Mhor.It is a mystery to me Alan,how you find this information,i think i have said that before,but i am sincerely grateful that you do.I live 3 miles from Auchtermuchty you live thousands of miles away in Australia and you just seem to come up with the goods,.The info provided by you guy's is so valuable in my search for the fiddling Mr Alex Leburn,Dance Master.So there are now more questions,so Alex plays fiddle teaching groups of people to dance or on a one to one basis,i am not sure how it works,but i am guessing the explanation to be very simple.I have already seen a layout plan for the Kirk yard in 1818 and one Alex Leburn,Dance Master is indeed interred,therein.That being the case,in 1833 the then Baillie of Auchtermuchty Mr Alex Leburn,who we have to assume is in his 50's or 60's,has to be mine and the Alex interred is his Dad.This is all fantastic stuff,what to do with it and where to go next.I will follow Alan's advice and do a will search.He may of died before 1855 that's why i can't find a death ,i also can't find a marraige or a birth.I need to try and find records for Auchtermuchty Baillies around 1833.Where did you find the sheet music info Alan,i wouldn't mind having a wee look at that,so much to do,Thanks again =D>

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:27 am

David, A google search comes up with this site where you can purchase his sheet music.

http://www.musicinscotland.com/acatalog ... alker.html

Apparently he was not only a gifted violinist, but also a druggist, philosopher, and mathematician.

Ina

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:05 pm

Back again David,

Here’s a bit of a bio and obit from “The Glen Collection of Scottish Dance Music” Book 2, John Glen, 1895. (John Glen died 1904.)
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=2Dw ... CCgQ6AEwAA

ALEXANDER LEBURN, a native of Auchtermuchty, followed the profession of musician in that good old town in the latter part of the eighteenth century, and is found as a subscriber to Chas. Duff's Collection, 1790; also in Gow's Third, M'Donald's Third, and James Walker's First Collections, in some of which he is styled a musician. In May 1793, he published a collection of tunes, which was advertised in March of that year as follows:—

"About the end of May will be published (by subscription) a Collection of New Strathspey Reels &c. with a Bass for the Violincello or Harpsichord Dedicated by permission to Mrs Moncrieff" of Reedie by Alex. Leyburn Auchtermuchty. Those who have not had an opportunity of subscribing and wishes to favour the Publisher, will find Subscription papers with Robert Ross Carrubber's Close, James Johnson and Co. Lawnmarket, Nathaniel Gow Baillie Fyffe's Close Edinburgh, or send their names to the Publisher at Auchtermuchty as soon as possible March 27th 1793."

For his Collection he received subscriptions to the number of 231 copies; the book is now somewhat scarce. Leburn's Collection contains 36 tunes, ten of which he qualifies as the compositions of other individuals. He claims "Mrs Duncan's Reel," and judging from his style, and from the fact that he calls himself author, and no other unqualified tune could be challenged in his collection, we are inclined to think it is his composition, although Nathaniel Gow also lays claim to it.

What position Leburn attained as a player we have been unable to ascertain, but the editor has seen an old Italian violin which was presented to him by the Earl of Leven, no doubt for his performances. We are unable to say how long Alexander Leburn continued his musical career. Whoever wrote the following in the Fifeshire Journal either despised the musical profession or considered it beneath his notice, as he omits any reference to it:—

"The death of Mr Leburn, one of the magistrates of this burgh, has made a deep impression on the inhabitants of this town and neighbourhood. After a period of useful and laborious duty, he had settled into comparative retirement, when he was suddenly cut off by apoplexy. Mr Leburn was no ordinary man. Without the advantage of any better education than is usually obtained in a country school, he acquired considerable proficiency in mathematics, chemistry, astronomy, and general science. But mathematics was his forte, and in it he became so eminent as frequently to solve problems which few others could master. His desire for knowledge was so intense, that much of his time was devoted to reading, nothing delighting him more than a new book on any of his favourite studies. Whether sitting at home, or walking along the high road, his mind was absorbed in one study or another. Mr Leburn was therefore a self-taught philosopher of no mean order, considering the advantages he enjoyed. His manners were unostentatious, his habits so temperate as almost to amount to abstinence, his heart kind, his piety sincere without ostentation, his integrity incorruptible, and as he was much respected by all ranks, he is now universally regretted.—Auchtermuchty, 12th March 1836."

Alexander Leburn was born 1767, and died 1836.

According to the above the Musical Alexander and the Magistrate were one and the same. The obit seems at odds with everything else there is, but I think obits from that era tended to be a bit that way. The obit part also appeared in the Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh), Monday, March 21, 1836, and was attributed to the Fife Herald.

Someone else has an interest in this fellow.
http://newsarch.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1253566397

Alan