Scots bottlemaker with an Irish connection?

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

StewL

Re: Scots bottlemaker with an Irish connection?

Post by StewL » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:53 am

Hello Robert
[TS_welcome] xmas:smile:
I hope you find TS helpful and in turn can offer some help to others
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Hello Robert and welcome.
I didn't get an alert of your post, so have only just found it.
I have been getting together what I know of McLarens.....I have Jean/Jeannie/Jennie Little marrying a Joseph Mclaren? in 1868?
My ggrandfather John Little was involved at the beginning of James Alexander King's bottleworks - but it wasn't small, it became the Irish Glass Bottle Works and eventually Ardagh, which closed in I think 2002.
Thomas was John's brother, but John became manager there.
John came to Dublin about 1870 from Newton-le-Willows in Lancashire.....possibly leaving the works there in the lurch and forcing his father to come down from Glasgow to take over! (speculation from records.)
- Alison.
Researching:
LITTLE - Scotland, Lancashire, Dublin and South Africa. And Canada.
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland
ANDREWS, MEMERY, DOWSE and BIRMINGHAM - Dublin
PRICE, JACKSON, ROGERS, ALLEN - N. Wales

ronoc

Post by ronoc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:28 pm

For; RobertM

My great grandfather is also called Francis Murray who worked in the Glass Bottle Factory in Ringsend. He was related to the Mclaren family through marriage. I think we are taking about the same person. I am interest in your comment about the town in Northern England that you mentioned. I have been following alison's posts on different forums about this subject but only noticed your comment now. Would really like to make contact with you. :D

robertM

Post by robertM » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:09 am

Hi Alison,

Yes, I have Jane (Jean) Little (1846 - 1928) marrying John McLaren (1848 - 1928) and having 2 children Joseph (1873-1946) and John (1871-1960) John would have been the glassblower who (trained at?) Pilkingtons in Newton le Willows (Thank you) and then on to Ringsend with a fellow glassblower (Francis Murray). Their children married and eventually resulted in me (and a whole bunch of others!)
Unfortunately I haven't got any info about John Mclaren except that he owned a sausage making factory or two nor have I been able to go back any further: There is a family rumour that the Murray side is related to the Duke of Athol who gambled away the Isle of Man and that the Murray tartan we claim is a bad one because we sold out Bonnie Prince Charlie but all this is unsubstantiated.

robertM

Post by robertM » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:24 am

Sorry Alison, I didn't read your post properly: what you're saying is that your ggrandfather also moved from Newton le willows to Ringsend and by inference your grandfather had Jane/Jean Little as an Aunt? Jane/Jean ?Little is one of my gggrandmothers. Did I get that right?

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Sorry about the gap but again I don't get an alert!

I have Jean as married 30 OCT 1868 to JOSEPH McLaren, with both sets of parents recorded (sorry I shouldn't copy
that here). She married as 'Jeannie R.C.Little'
She was my greatgrandfather John Little's aunt, my gggrandfather's full sister, earlier called Jane.
She had a child in Newton in 1875 and another in Dublin in 1879, where she's found later.
That's children John, Joseph, Thomas and Christian.

I have two John Littles, both glassmakers and John Two b 1841 went from Glasgow to Newton-le-Willows in the 1860s and then (leaving his father John in Newton) to Dublin by 1870.
The Irish Glass Bottle Works started then - but there were about 5 bottle works in Ringsend and Dublin at the time.

I have a feeling that any McLarens who are associated with glassmaking were to do with the Cambridge Place works which I think was called the National Bottle Works - they've been mentioned recently in emails to me from someone else.

Are we talking about the same Jean? - Alison
Researching:
LITTLE - Scotland, Lancashire, Dublin and South Africa. And Canada.
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland
ANDREWS, MEMERY, DOWSE and BIRMINGHAM - Dublin
PRICE, JACKSON, ROGERS, ALLEN - N. Wales

Carole24

Post by Carole24 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi
My grandfather was John Mclaren living in Ringsend and a glass bottle maker, he died in 1960