Barras

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

biz

Barras

Post by biz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Hello
My grandma Bridget Park used to have a stall(I am told that she mainly sold jewellrey)in the Barras she died in 1967
So I am hoping that someone may remeber her and be able to tell me a little more has I was only 6 when she died
thank you
Biz
surname intrests..Park,Gould,Rankin,Hunter,Higton,Walker.Hughes

Quivy_2

Re: Barras

Post by Quivy_2 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:57 am

Hmmm. What are you doing currently?

biz

Post by biz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:27 am

WAITING FOR ELP WITH bRIDGET???????????????????????????

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Hello Biz,

I sense a bit of frustration there! Perhaps the reason you haven't received a reply is because people might not remember her, as it was a long time ago. The other reason might be that it is a busy time of year, and TS might not be as busy as usual. The third reason might be that your query is a bit vague, so it makes it hard for people to know what you want.

Do you want help with information about Bridget Park herself and not necessarily her work at the Barras? Perhaps if you write as much as you know about her it might help people find some more. For example, what was her maiden name, married name, year of birth (approximate if you don't know for sure) and place, also place of death if you know it. You might not know all of that, but every little bit helps people to find her.

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

biz

Post by biz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:20 am

Hello Nina
I know that my grandma Bridget was well known to the police in particular regarding involved in a murder case along with her son Francis Park ,John Caldwell was hung for the murder in Glasgow of a police officer in 1946(I have all the press cuttings for this murder)
Bridget and Francis were along with James Caldwell son of John Caldwell,who were all living at Fielden St ,in 1946 and associated with the case these 3 were arrested as fences for stolen goods,charges later dropped)
Bridget Miller was born to Margaret Miller in 1895(on birth cert states father has Hugh King drowned at sea 3 yrs before)Margaret and Hugh were Married, Glasgow(have marriage cert) but Hugh went on to marry twice(have certs) more whilst still married to Margaret=Margaret died 1903(have cert) ,Hugh in 1930(have cert)
I have photographs of Grandma Bridget at her stall in the Barras -she sold trinkets of jewellrey and clothes-she was still there in 1965 she died in 1967,Glasgow(have death cert)
when she was arrested in 1946 she was using to surnames King and Park --Park being her married name she married twice too men both with the surname Park but not related her last husband my granda being Robert Graham Park he died Glasgow 1941(have both marriage and death certs for both husbands)
phewwwwwwww

Recently a friend found a newspaper item relating to Bridget staing the folllowing it was taken from the Scotsmen
dated 18 May 1898
Thomas WELSH,32,from 9 Stirling St Glasgow,remitted to Sherrifs Court,with stealing Bridget King aged 5 ,daughter of Hugh King of 251 High St Glasgow,the child was taken whilst in the custody of a woman neighbour,who had taken it for a walk.
Welsh was traced to Paisley and then to Johnstone,where he was arrested with the child
I would like help with the crimes of Bridget
and of course that of the Thomas Welsh case has I can find no further mention of this

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:58 am

The poster here called Currie is very good at finding information in newspapers, so maybe he'll be a long soon. I found a court case for one of my ancestors at the NAS website. I was able to purchase some of the actual documents (photocopied) and it gave me great insight to the case. Have you tried to search there?

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

biz

Post by biz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:49 am

Thank You Nina
I have tried negotiating the NSA
but alas it has beat me

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi biz

I've had a root around in the NAS site and it seems that the main papers for the murder are closed for 85 years but there are some records of John Caldwell in prison and about his execution. The records from the prison include details of his visitors so there may be some mention of the Parks in that. I could not find any record mentioning Bridget herself under any of her names. Maybe the police records in Glasgow might have more. They are held at the Mitchell but may be subject to closure periods.

Not the most satisfactory answer.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

biz

Post by biz » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:29 am

Thank you Anne
Thank you for looking ,if it is not to much trouble do you think that you could send me the next time that you go to the NAS the visitor records etc,for John =the info that is available
I too have been searching for info on Bridget King being `child snatched in 1898 by Thomas Welsh (from what we have now found out it seems that Thomas was her natural father)(taken from 18/5/1898 the Glasgow Herald)
after this date and due to Gladwin`s death we cannot find any further reports
I have thought of several things has to why we may not be able to find anything else
1/could he have joined the forces has a way to escape a prison sentence??
2/in between being arrested and the sherrifs court did he die(he was remanded in custody)
But I would have thought that a case at that time would have resulted in a heavy sentence if not death but I still cannot find anythingand by now the time ban on looking at anything is well up.
we have found out that in 1881 Thomas Welsh and Margaret Miller (never married) had an illigitamate child Euphemia who died ,she then had Bridget who was also registered illegitamate after this Margaret married Hugh King(involved in the Red Clydeside movement) he died 1930 and he gave Bridget his surname then in 1898 when Bridget was 5 she was child snatched by Thomas Welsh
there is still lots of my ](*,) that need \:D/ do \:D/ wn
So Anne any help that you can give is much appreciated
take care ,until I hear from you again
Have a wonderful Christmas
Biz

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi biz

Best thing would maybe be for Anne to post the references for the records she found in the online catalogue, and you could check them out yourself online, then contact NAS and find out about getting copies of the ones you think look promising.
http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/
e.g.
Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Records of Scotland
Reference HH16/35
Title Criminal case file: John Caldwell
Dates 1946
Access status Closed
Access conditions Closed for 85 years
Location Off site
Description John Caldwell (No.1653/46) was convicted for housebreaking and murder at the High Court, Glasgow, 26 June 1946, and sentenced to death. Executed at Barlinnie Prison, Glasgow, 10 Aug 1946.
Level File
Closed until 01/01/2032

I say this because, having looked at some prison records in the past, which were also relatively recent, I found that they had to be ordered up in advance of your visit, (so it is not something you can do on the spur of the moment, it has to be a planned visit) and even then it took quite some time to trawl through the materials and find the relevant part(s), but the record above, is, as you can see, closed until 01/01/2032.

And there are also these - which may be the records Anne found, or she may have also located others:
HH16/234 Criminal case file: John Caldwell 1946-1960
HH16/642/1 Barlinnie Prison: Prisoners Records 1946
HH16/643 Barlinnie Prison: Burials of Executed Prisoners 1946-1953
HH16/644/2 Barlinnie Prison: Condemned Cell (Capital Punishment) 1946
JC36/173 Trial transcript from the trial of John Caldwell for the crime of theft by housebreaking, attempt to murder, murder at 524 Edinburgh Road, Bridgeton, Glasgow. Tried at High Court, Glasgow. Tried on 25 Jun 1946 25 Jun 1946 Closed
RHP141611 Plan of prisoners' burial ground, Barlinnie Prison, Glasgow 1945-1952

- if you put the above ref. codes into the search page at NAS (link above) you can get some more information about what is contained in some of these records.

Best wishes
Lesley