Death of

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

biz

Death of

Post by biz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Hello I am just wondering if any one may be able to help me with the following query
I have a relative
Hugh Thomas King 1866-1930 born at Bridgetown Glasgow,to James King and Maria Boyle
Hugh married a Margaret Millar at Blackfriars House Dennistoun on the 19/5/1885
I know that they had 1 Bridget Millar King born 17/12/1892 Glasgow,Blackfriars district
Hugh Thomas is listed at his marriage has a hawker and Margaret is listed has a soft goods hawker

I have 2 questions please that I need help with
1/did Bridget have any siblings??
2/when idid her mother Margaret die??
Thank you
surname intrests..Park,Gould,Rankin,Hunter,Higton,Walker.Hughes

LesleyB

Re: Death of

Post by LesleyB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi Biz

To find answers to your questions you could try the following:

1. did Bridget have any siblings??
Find the family in the 1891, 1901 census, then the 1911 census and if there are living siblings they will most likely be with the family. You can search the census transcriptions at Ancestry, or you can search and see the original census pages at ScotlandsPeople.

2. when idid her mother Margaret die??
Have you tried a seach in ScotlandsPeople for the death of Margaret King, other surname Millar on ScotlandsPeople?

Best wishes
Lesley

biz

Post by biz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Thank you
I am now armed with a cup of coffee and am off to attempt to negotiate Scotlands people :roll:

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Hello biz,
I hope you are having some luck with this, because it is not looking like an easy find in the censuses, although there is a promising looking death for a Margaret King, other surname Miller in 1903 in Glasgow. I haven't actually looked at it, so don't know if it is really your Margaret, though.

According to a tree or two on Ancestry, Bridget was not the daughter of Hugh. An extract of her birth record has her as "Bridget Miller or King, illegitimate daughter of Margaret Miller, Soft Goods Hawker, Widow of Hugh King, Seaman, Merchant Service, who was drowned at sea about 3 years ago."

Do you have the death certificate of the Hugh who died in 1930? Just wonder whether you are sure it was him.

And that does open up the field somewhat for siblings, since we don't know who her father was...

All the best,
Sarah

Later: This rang a bell so I did a search and saw that you were aware of the fact that Hugh may have drowned: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16456&p=131852
On the birth extract it says clearly that Bridget is illegitimate, thus not the daughter of Hugh.

biz

Post by biz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:19 pm

hello
and thank you for getting in touch
you are right there is some info on Bridget (birth/2nd marriage/death certs) that I have posted on ancestry and has you say I think that she has to be an illegitamate child of Margaret`s due to he being born in 1892 however I can find no record of Hugh Kings death being drowned at sea c 1889
also the death date for the Margaret you found may be a correct one ha sthere was some talk of Bridget being in a home ,put again we have had no luck there9she would have been aged 9 if this is her mother dying in 1903
However Bridgets youngest child Isabella Walker Park who passed away last month said that her mother had always known that she was illegitamate
what I am trying to achieve is 1/did Margaret and Hugh maybe had other children
2/ what did happen to Hugh
3/where is Bridget buried
arghhhhhhh I guess I have it that brick wall ](*,)
Biz