William Rodger - Foulyet Farm, Bothwell Parish 1785 onwards

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

darylrodger

William Rodger - Foulyet Farm, Bothwell Parish 1785 onwards

Post by darylrodger » Sun May 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi,

I've just broken a brick wall regarding my hubby's 3 x great grandfather William Rodger, who lived in Bothwell about 1785 onwards at a place called Foulyett/Foulyet Farm (according to CANMORE) in Bothwell parish he was a farmer.

What I'd like to know is how long he lived there for, and what church or churches and cemetery were local to him. I have a feeling wasn't C.O.S as I can't find him in the o.p.r's so must have been dissenting/presbyterian etc. His son William must have been born in Foulyett c.1798.

There is also a James Rodger who lived at Rowantree, at the same time, (in the cart tax rolls 1785-1798) so I'm wondering if he could have been his brother ? and also a John also mentioned at Foulyet too, in the horse tax rolls perhaps another brother or relative.

I'd like to find him or his family, can anyone help ?

Thanks,

Daryl Rodger

Currie

Re: William Rodger - Foulyet Farm, Bothwell Parish 1785 onwards

Post by Currie » Wed May 31, 2017 2:05 pm

Hello Daryl,

The Scots Magazine, 1793, has a bankruptcy notice for a William Rodger, Merchant, Victual-dealer, and Carrier at Foulgeat, in the Parish of Bothwell. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=0C ... 22&f=false

More variations on the spelling, Foldyett, Foldyates, and Foulyates.
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digit ... ume-05/171

Alan

darylrodger

Re: William Rodger - Foulyet Farm, Bothwell Parish 1785 onwards

Post by darylrodger » Wed May 31, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for finding that info on William, he's proving difficult to find. I did come across him in the cart tax roll for 1785, but nothing after that.

I did find a document mentioning a James Rodger who resided at Foulyet farm on the Lauchope estate. His father before him also lived there
and they were apparently Cameronians, or Covenanters. They were reformed presbyterians which explains why I can't find any b.d.m's for them.
James also lived at Rowantree farm. A John Rodger (possibly a brother ?) was mentioned in the farm horse tax rolls, and living at Foulyet too for 1787-1798.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Daryl