North British Machine Co. Ltd.

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Keatley

North British Machine Co. Ltd.

Post by Keatley » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:35 am

Just found out through his will, that my Gt Grand-Uncle, James Robertson, was Managing Director of the North British Machine Co. Ltd.,Clyde Street, Glasgow(wholesale cycle & sewing machine factors) He died in 1913.
My Gt Grandfather was a cycle agent, and probably worked for him.
Does anyone know anything about the company or where I can find further information?
Thanks,
Paul

Maisie

Post by Maisie » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:42 pm

Hi Paul

If you Google "North British Machine Co Ltd" you get a link via the National Archives to the Glasgow City Archives which appears to hold some records of this company.

Maisie

Davie

Post by Davie » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi Paul,
http://www.needlebar.com/makers/uk/n/no ... index.html

On the PO directory in 1903
The North British Machine Company, cycle and sewing machine accessory factors; showroom, 24 Carlton Place, warehouse, 19 Carlton Place; James Robertson, manager.

Jas. Robertson, of The North British Machine Company and the North British Motor Company ho. 5 Granby Terrace W.

Robertson John H., The North British Machine Co. ho. 3 Skirving Street.

Wm Robertson manager, North British Motor Company, ho. 5 Granby Terrace W

The North British Motor Company. Agents for “Clement” De-Dion and Lanchester Cars. 310a St Vincent Street.

Davie

Keatley

Post by Keatley » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:08 pm

Thanks for the replies Maisie & Davie.
I don't seem to be able to get anymore info out of the National Archives, unless I'm doing something wrong!
The online catalogue says that Articles of Association, 1909; Balance sheets, 1917-1940; Private ledgers, 1906-1938. are available, but how do I order them?
One of the address you supplied from the 1903 PO directory Davie,enabled me to find his son on the 1901 Census!!(Robertson been a very common name)
Thanks again
Paul

Davie

Post by Davie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:35 pm

Again Paul
From the 1893 Directory
Robertson, Jas: The North British Machine Co. 19 Carlton Place,: house 38 Regent Park Square.

Robertson John H The North British Machine Company: 19 Carlton Place. House 8 Bowman Street Queens Park.

The North British Machine Co cycle manufactures and wholesale factors for all accessories: sole proprietors for “Pearl” sewing machines: works: Birmingham and Crosshill Glasgow; head office 19 Carlton Place; depot; 1 McDonald’s Lane, Corporation street, Manchester; Jas Robertson Manager.

The North British Machine Company were still trading in 1963 at 200 Clyde street.. They were agents for wireless sets as well as sewing machines and cycles.

As you say Paul, Robertson is a common name.
Interestingly enough on the 1893 directory, there was a John Robertson’s Coachbuilders at 412 St Vincent Street.

Skirving Street, Regent Park Square and Bowman Street are all within walking distance of my flat in the Southside. So if you want any photographs of what they are like today, just let me know.
On the useless information front; a scene from Billy Connolly’s “Down among the Big Boys” a made for TV movie was filmed outside 3 Skirving Street.

Davie

Keatley

Post by Keatley » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:58 pm

Thats brilliant Davie!
Thanks for the info and the photo offer, which i would like to take you up on please, whenever you can get them.
Just an update on the census I found thanks to your address...I found John H Robertson married with 2 children. Because I knew his wifes first name and that he got married between the 1891-1901 census, I was able to find his marriage cert. Through this I managed to find a very distant cousin on his wifes side on Genes Reunited living in Oz!!
Years and months of hardly any progression and then one address moves it on so much!
Thanks again Davie,
Paul

Davie

Post by Davie » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:29 pm

Greetin’s Paul,
Frae a dreich cold Sou’side the day.
I am always interested in Glasgow businesses.
What surprises me regarding The North British Machine Co. is that there is so little information on them.
I have looked through several of the PO directories and papers that I have in the flat, and only the directories have shown anything.
There are several photographs of Clyde Street and I have found only one which I think shows no. 200.
St Andrews Cathedral is at 186 and the new Arch Diocese is at 196.
James, as you probably know started his career as a Mercantile Clerk and is on the 1881 census in Garturk st. (another in walking distance) as manager sewing machine.
I will be home next week and will check to see if I can find any record there.
Meantime I have sent you a PM
Awrabest
Davie

Keatley

Post by Keatley » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:44 pm

Thanks Davie,
They must have been fairly successful and certainly diverse, to last for 70 yrs or so.
Any findings I would be most interested in.
Cheers,
paul

David Russell

Re: North British Machine Co. Ltd.

Post by David Russell » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Dear Paul,
I came across your question when googling the North British Machine Company (NBMC). You posed the question in 2006, but if you are still interested, I can help you.

My father, the late James Robertson Russell, was the last Managing Director of the NBMC, which was wound up in the mid 1960s. When I knew it in the 1950s it had expanded to become a wholesale supplier of motoring accessories, tools and equipment to the motor trade with customers throughout Scotland, was an agent for Elswick-Hopper bicycles and had a radio and television department. It was a family firm and a number of the shareholders were elderly maiden aunts ("the aunts") whose unmarried state may well have been a consequence of the Great War, when so many potential husbands lost their lives. Another director in the 1950s was my father's cousin, James Robertson, who was probably related to you, as would have been my father, although more distantly. Both my father and Uncle James died early in this century.

I have no information on the closure of the company as I was never involved in its running, having left school (Hillhead High School, Glasgow) to join the Royal Navy in September 1960.

Yours sincerely,

David Russell
Winchester

e-mail: davidrussell242ATbtinternet.com

** e-mail address altered to (hopefully) slow down any spammers **

StewL

Re: North British Machine Co. Ltd.

Post by StewL » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:49 am

Hello David
[TS_welcome]
I hope you enjoy your time on TS
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson