Johnstone Churchyard Renfrewshire.....

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:47 am

Hi Marilyn,

And i'm sorry to hear conditions haven't improved - looks like they might never be either. Saying that, the grounds are kept tidy - just a pity all those old MIs are being ruined.
I've noticed quite a few cemeteries now lay flat many MIs that were originally standing up. Mainly i think for safety reasons - if they can't be made topple-proof they put them down on their backs. Then of course many are knocked over by mindless vandals, and just left where they fell.

Would do no harm in writing to the church, with names and death dates, and asking if they could check the Lair Records for them.

Jack

Rhandy

Post by Rhandy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:30 pm

Jack,

your link to Johnstone is great, my 3 x greatgrands owned property in the High St. Plus one daughter lived in 3 Houston Square after she married. Is great to see the Streets. A friend sent me a photo of one of the properties in High St, so now I can put it into context.

Cheers
Rhandy
Fletcher (Paisley),Robertson( Paisley and Perthshire),Manson,Innes,McBeath,Sinclair,Bain, Calder( Caithness)

David Lang

Post by David Lang » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:39 pm

I have a burial in Johnstone Kirk in 1855 , does anyone know if the minister has changed or is still the same uninterested person?

I do have a stiching of Johnstone Parish Church done by the deceased persons wife around that time in the house so i maybe able to offer that as a bribe to get the information needed!!!!
Lang/loynachan/oloynachan/Gillies/Scally/McIlchere- Argyll, Denovan/Rollo, Stirling/Burns-Stirling Mackie/Grant/Ingils/Campbell-Aberdeen,Stewart/Bell-Glasgow
Brown-Ardrossan/Dundonald, Gemmell- Johnstone/Partick
McKelvie-Arran/ayrshire

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:03 pm

I have a burial in Johnstone Kirk in 1855 , does anyone know if the minister has changed or is still the same uninterested person?

I do have a stiching of Johnstone Parish Church done by the deceased persons wife around that time in the house so i maybe able to offer that as a bribe to get the information needed!!!!
Hello David,

My time is short at the moment, but I could scan you some info on the Johnstone High Parish from my Visitor's Pack that I received two years ago when I paid a visit to the church. It was a Saturday and the caretakers were there and they took us for a personal tour of this beautiful church.

Minister

Rev Mrs A C McCool, BD, DSD,IPA, ALCM
Telephone 01505 320006

I would try contacting the Secretary

Ann MacMillan
36d High Street
Johnstone, Renfrewshire, PA5 8AH
Telephone 01505 324086
E-Mail: jhpchurch@yahoo.co.uk

Regards
Marilyn

David Lang

Post by David Lang » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Thanks Marilyn i will take a wee drive over there soon and see what i can get info wise its only 20 mins from the house.
Lang/loynachan/oloynachan/Gillies/Scally/McIlchere- Argyll, Denovan/Rollo, Stirling/Burns-Stirling Mackie/Grant/Ingils/Campbell-Aberdeen,Stewart/Bell-Glasgow
Brown-Ardrossan/Dundonald, Gemmell- Johnstone/Partick
McKelvie-Arran/ayrshire

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi David,

I hope your visit is a success!!

Regards
Marilyn

Mama58

Re: Johnstone Churchyard Renfrewshire.....

Post by Mama58 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Scottish war graves commission site . A photograph of a headstone for w. morning killed in the First World War 1915 in abbey cemetery elderslie. If you cannot find I can email the link.

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20 am

Hello Mama, and Welcome to TalkingScot.

This is his entry at the Commonwealth War Graves site:
MORNING, W
Service No: 12953
Date of Death: 20/06/1915
Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry 1st Bn.
Grave Reference Old Portion. F2. 627.
Cemetery ABBEY CEMETERY, THORN

A bit extra at the Scottish National War Memorial:
Surname MORNING
Firstname William
Service Number 12953
Date Death 20/06/1915
Decoration
Place of birth Johnstone Renfrewshire
Other 1st Bn.
SNWM roll THE HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY
Rank Pte
Theatre of death F.& F.

Reported in the Scotsman, 22 June, 1915.
PAISLEY.
Private William Morning, 1st Highland Light Infantry, whose home is at 7 Bridge Street, has died from wounds in the King George Hospital, London. Last week he wrote his wife that he had been shot in the thigh, but not to worry, and it is thought that a serious complication had supervened. Private Morning, who was a moulder to trade, enlisted after the outbreak of war, and went to France in May. He leaves a widow and three children.

Also reported in the Glasgow Herald.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=HN ... %2C6296689

All the best,
Alan

SandraBeacock

Post by SandraBeacock » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:09 pm

My ancestors were married in Johnstone Church, Kibarchan Parish. Does anyone have a photo on the church that I could use in my genealogy files? Is this the Johnstone High Church I see referred to in other literature? Thanks.
Sandra Beacock beacock4 AT hotmail DOT com

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Hello Sandra and [TS_welcome]

Our Russell lives in Kilbarchan and will surely be along soon to give you first-hand knowledge. In the meantime, I have edited your email address to make it less vulnerable to the spam bots.

All the best,
Sarah