Johnstone Churchyard Renfrewshire.....

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:20 am

Hello Andrew
Appreciate your reply. After a quick review of the LDS site, it has been suggested that I begin with the 1851 census records to try and achieve my goal of finding the children of John Morning & Elizabeth Nicol, pre 1855 records on SP. At this time I know of 3 children pre 1855; John, Agnes and Lavina Morning.

Best Regards
Marilyn
Dogs leave paw prints on your heart.
Maxine Morning b. 23 April 1998 d. 14 Nov. 2008
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1718

Jack

Re: Johnstone Church

Post by Jack » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:59 am

Hi Marilyn,

The church is just round the corner. If you do a search for Quarry St - you'll see MacDowall St at the western end of it.

http://www.multimap.com/map/home.cgi?cl ... anced=true

This next one goes straight to the map (i've used TinyUrl because the address was far too long).

http://tinyurl.com/64a9k

Johnstone High Church on south side of Quarry St. looks north directly down the gently sloping Church St.

Johnstone Church in 1850s would, i'm sure, be the now named Johnstone High Church.
An 1853 Paisley / Johnstone Directory states a John McNaught of 13 Quarry St. is the Johnstone Church Officer.

As Andrew mentioned, Johnstone was a church parish inside the large Abbey (Paisley) Parish.
So any birth in Johnstone would still be regarded as an Abbey event up to abt 1897.

559 was the overall Abbey Parish number, and the different areas within it had this number plus a suffix.
559-1 was that part of the original Abbey Parish still in the town of Paisley (High, Low, Middle, Martyr's, North, South were the other mainly central parishes)
559-2 was Abbey Landward - around the outside of central Paisley, but mainly southwards.
559-3 was the Elderslie / Johnstone area.

This is a rather rough guide - some time i'll need to find out exactly what areas they did cover! But often just as you're getting the hang of boundaries, someone comes along and moves them....

Jack

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:20 am

Hello Jack

The hour is getting late here, so just a short reply, with a quick question?
My Morning family lived on MacDowall Street, High Street, Collier Street, Dimity Street and Houston Square, all within a few blocks of each other. Would Johnstone High Churchyard be the only cemetery in this general area? Your links to the map web site are an excellent reference point! Thank You..

Regards
Marilyn

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:36 am

Hi Marilyn,

I think i've been overdoing that strong ginger wine, or age is catching up (the latter more like). I don't know why i asked which church, because as far i know, there IS only one graveyard in Johnstone; and that is in the grounds of the now named Johnstone High Church.
The only other cemeteries i can think of are in the villages of Kilbarchan to the west & Elderslie to the east. But i don't know when they opened, or if there are any records.

I'd a look for your MORNING name In ALL Renfrewshire for the 1841 & 1851 censuses, but very poor results.
==========
1841 Abbey
Agnes Morning 15 - in MacDowall St
--
1841 Thorn Village
John Morning 25
Jean 20
David 1
==========
1851 Abbey
John Morning 58
Janet 55
---
1851 Abbey
James Morning 28
Agnes 26
Thomas 8
Robert 5
James 2
-----
1851 Kilbarchan
Alice Morning 40
-----
1851 Lochwinnoch
Mary Morning 24
=============
I dare say you'll have seen this 1881 census, but it seems odd that they weren't in Johnstone for at least the 1851census - unless cunningly hidden under a different name. Or maybe in Ireland?
--
1881 Census Place:Abbey, Renfrew, Scotland
Dwelling: Langs Back Land
Source: FHL Film 0203566 GRO Ref Volume 559-3 EnumDist 13 Page 12
John MORNING M 60 M Johnstone, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Engine Keeper Carpet Fac
Elisabeth MORNING M 61 F Ireland Rel: Wife Occ: House Wife
James MORNING U 26 M Johnstone, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: General Labourer
Elisabeth MORNING U 21 F Johnstone, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Carpet Weaver
Janet MORNING U 18 F Johnstone, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Carpet Printer
Agnes MORNING U 16 F Johnstone, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Cotton Mill Worker
John MORNING 9 M Elderslie, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Grandson Occ: Not In Sch
--
There's some photies of Johnstone at - http://www.johnstonetown.org.uk/history/photo/index.htm

Jack

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:14 am

Jack
I owe you a ginger wine. This is fabulous information! Do you know if any "MI" records are available for the Johnstone High Churchyard? Or would I be able to contact the keeper of the records? Yes, I have the copy of the 1881 census on John Morning and Elizabeth Nicol. John's parents were John Morning and Janet Mclaughlin, so this must be them in the 1851 census record you've posted. This information is verfied through John's Death Record found on SP. John Morning, husband of Elizabeth passed on 16 March 1882, Elderslie. The others must also be family, as the names you've listed are all family names. Must verify this of course on SP. If I may ask, would you please post the other two cemeteries in Elderslie and Kilbarchan area? Would like to pay my respects someday.

Happy New Year Jack!
Marilyn

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:10 am

Jack
Also worth mentioning, John and Elizabeth Morning had a son, James Morning d. 28 August 1884 Elderslie Johnstone. John Morning's father was also John Morning d. 24 March 1877 Elderslie Johnstone and his father was, Adam Morning resting place unknown, was unable to find Adam's passing on SP. I would say these Morning's were perhaps buried in the Elderslie cemetery?

Marilyn

Jack

Post by Jack » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:59 pm

Hi Marilyn, here are those censuses. I thought i'd sent them - found it in my Drafts folder and very near deleted it!
--
1841 cens 559 Ed 9 pg 4 (Abbey)
Thorn Village.
John MORNING, 25, weaver, born in County - Yes
Jean MORNING, 20, ------- b - No
David MORNING, 1, -------- b - Yes
--
1841 cens 559 Ed 18 pg 2 (Abbey)
MacDowall St, Johnstone.
Mary ALEXANDER, 50, wickwinder, b - No
Elizabeth ROBERTSON, 20, c.f. throstle framer, b - Yes
AGNES MORNING, 15, c.f. throstle framer, b - Yes
Elizabeth WILSON, 13, throstle framer, b - Yes
Agnes ALEXANDER, 50, wickwinder, b - No
=====
1851 cens 568 (448) Ed 7 pg 12 (Kilbarchan)
Braidwood's Land.
Allis MORNING, head, u/m 40, washerwoman, b Ireland
Carrah McNICOL, lodger, u/m 16, washerwoman, b Ireland
--
1851 cens 570 (450) Ed 11 pg 8 (Lochwinnoch)
Low Bowfield. Woman House.
Mary MORNING, bleacher, u/m 24, bleacher, b Ireland
[In the employ of John Campbell, bleacher - 70 employees - all but abt 5 or so are born Ireland]
--
1851 cens 573-3 (470) Ed 7 pg 21 (Abbey)
Walkinshaw St, Johnstone.
James MORNING, head, marr, 28,weaver, b Johnstone
Agnes MORNING, wife, 26, house duties, b Johnstone
Thomas MORNING, son, 8, home, b Johnstone
Robert MORNING, son, 5, home, b Johnstone
James MORNING, 2, home, b Johnstone
--
1851 cens 573-4 (473) Ed 12 pg 34 (Abbey)
Graham St, Johnstone.
John MORNING, head, marr, 58, weaver, b Antrim, Ireland
Janet MORNING, wife, 55, not employed, b Antrim, Ireland
=====

There are 2 Elderslie cemeteries, but alas opened too late for what you need (records held at Paisley) -
Abbey, Elderslie - 1887 (now also known as the "Old Cemetery)
Broomward - 1991 (a quite new cemetery)

I've now found the book i was looking for. There are 3 church cemeteries in Kilbarchan, but i haven't a clue who holds records (if any).
Kilbarchan East
Kilbarchan West
Kilbarchan Burntshields (apparently only one burial known - Rev Alex Brown 1819)

There is also the Council cemetery, northeast of Kilbarchan, northwest of Johnstone on the Bridge of Weir Rd, but this didn't open till 1897 (again records at Paisley).

Jack

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:28 am

Jack

While reading your post I stared to giggle and sing "super calla fraga listic expieala doscious" :D I'm so happy you found this in your file. So many new searches in my future thanks to you. But first I need to study these developments.
Many thanks! Glad to hear you'll be seeing straight soon. 8)

Kind Regards
Marilyn

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:09 am

Jack

I've just today received confimation of the condition of the Johnstone High Church Cemetery, which you described on your post of 2 January 2005. It appears my Morning relatives have no marked gravestones here. But I did receive a wonderful picure of the Church with its high steeple and clock in the tower. If anyone would like a copy, let me know.

Regards
Marilyn

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:56 am

Jack,

I'm sorry to report that I've just received confirmation on the condition of the Johnstone Churchyard, that you've described in your above mentioned post. No spotting of a stone for the Morning family yet!

Regards
Marilyn