Rosslynnlee Hospital buriels

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

Speedy65

Rosslynnlee Hospital buriels

Post by Speedy65 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi, my Great Great Gran died in October 1915 at the Rosslynnlee Hospital (known as Lasswade Lunatic Asylum at the time of her death). Does anyone have any idea where she might be buried please?

Rockford

Re: Rosslynnlee Hospital buriels

Post by Rockford » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi,

I can't give you specific information on local burial places near Rosslynlee, but If you have the certificate, does it give a usual residence or where were her family living at the time? Depending on the length of time she had been at the hospital and whether there were family (with funds), they may have arranged for her to be buried near where she/family was living rather than near Rosslynlee. One of my great grandfathers died at Rosslynlee (well after after your great great gran) and his funeral service was held at Mortonhall. Another great grandfather died in Peebles in 1904, but was brought home to Motherwell for burial.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Speedy65 wrote:Hi, my Great Great Gran died in October 1915 at the Rosslynnlee Hospital (known as Lasswade Lunatic Asylum at the time of her death). Does anyone have any idea where she might be buried please?
You could try the online newspapers for a death notice if you have access.

What was her name and date of death?

Regards,
Annette

Speedy65

Post by Speedy65 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:23 am

Thank you very much for that. Her name was Jane Henderson but her death certificate states Jane Henderson Pearson widow of Thomas Pearson when in fact no wedding took place and her name is still Henderson on the 1911 census. Her usual address was Cockhill Cottages, Gorebridge. She died on 15th October 1915. Annette, Jane was also a pauper so I wouldn't imagine that any kind of death notice would have appeared in the newspapers.
Last edited by Speedy65 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Speedy65

There are quite a few small towns and villages around Roslin and the website I found might help but I doubt there will be any memorial stone particularly as she was a pauper. Even into the late 1950's the mental hospital where I worked organised burials of inmates who had died since most times family were no longer in contact with their relative. Often the local undertaker was contacted and he arranged things. The local authority paid the expenses.
The only cemeteries I have come across which have records of pauper burials are all private enterprises rather than run by the local authority. I doubt there will be any records still in existence.
Good luck with your hunt though.

http://www.edinburgh.org/downloads/midl ... tones.pdf/

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

carlineric

Post by carlineric » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:39 pm

It may be worth contacting Midlothian Council and seeing if they have the cemetery records. I come from West Lothian and the local family history society have transcribed the burial registers, for West Lothian. It is interesting that Ecclesmachan was used by Bangour Village for the burial of their patients. What alerted me to this was the mention of Hartwood Asylum where the patients were evacuated to during WW1
Eric

Speedy65

Post by Speedy65 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Thank you for your help with my query, I will endeavour to find out some more using the information you have shared with me. x

Swenglish

Re: Rosslynnlee Hospital buriels - Jane Henderson

Post by Swenglish » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi, Just to say that Jane Henderson is my great, great grandmother too, via her daughter, Sarah Jane Pearson, who married Andrew Anderson. Please let me know if you eventually found her burial place. One of Jane's daughters, Mary, married a Matthew William Clayton who has substantial online information regarding the Pearsons. It would be interesting to know through which offspring you are related! With all good wishes

MirrenEA

Post by MirrenEA » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:16 am

Hello,

I’m also related to Jean Henderson as she’s my 4x great gran through Annie Elizabeth Pearson who married James Armstrong. If you found anything else about her I’d love to know! :)

Mirren