Dundee Howff, New Howff, Logie, St Peters & St Aidans

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

Dazx

Dundee Howff, New Howff, Logie, St Peters & St Aidans

Post by Dazx » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:23 am

I hope this is ok to post, I am webmaster for Tombs of the Dundee Howff which features memorial inscriptions and photographs from the Howff in Dundee, New Howff (Constitution Road), Logie burying ground, St Aidan's and St Peter's with the Old Mains coming soon which I have just recorded today and I'm busy making up the pages at the moment. The site is hosted at http://www.dundee-howff.info and hope it proves useful to some members here.
Darren.

Russell

Re: Dundee Howff, New Howff, Logie, St Peters & St Aidans

Post by Russell » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:50 am

Hi Darren
We are a free access site and don't rely on any commercial input to survive. As long as your webpages are free to users we are happy to post your link. There are sites which offer minimal information on gravestones but will only send the .jpg and inscription details after they get your money. This is information that should be freely available and our members will offer to visit their local burial ground to photograph a stone. I am currently working on a a similar project to you for a village church but so far have not managed to upload the info to the Internet via the church website (problem being that many stones are now covered with turf and I have to uncover them, clean them up, record the information, take a photo then cover them over again so that the grass cutting machinery doesn't damage them. Quite labour intensive) Poor weather conditions doesn't help either.
Your website looks fantastic and will delight many many folk across the world who would love to visit their ancestral home but can't make the trip
Good luck with your various connected projects.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Dazx

Post by Dazx » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:50 am

Russell wrote:Hi Darren
We are a free access site and don't rely on any commercial input to survive. As long as your webpages are free to users we are happy to post your link. There are sites which offer minimal information on gravestones but will only send the .jpg and inscription details after they get your money. This is information that should be freely available and our members will offer to visit their local burial ground to photograph a stone. I am currently working on a a similar project to you for a village church but so far have not managed to upload the info to the Internet via the church website (problem being that many stones are now covered with turf and I have to uncover them, clean them up, record the information, take a photo then cover them over again so that the grass cutting machinery doesn't damage them. Quite labour intensive) Poor weather conditions doesn't help either.
Your website looks fantastic and will delight many many folk across the world who would love to visit their ancestral home but can't make the trip
Good luck with your various connected projects.

Russell
Thank you for the comments, the website will always be free due to copyright material supplied by the local archives and library and will happily supply the original photographs as taken if people request them with the only condition being if posted somewhere online they ask permission and give credit to both myself and the site. I can agree with regards to the weather, I had to take cover yesterday after a very heavy downpour caught me and I had to shelter under a handy Yew tree :)

Dazx

Post by Dazx » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:14 pm

I have just completed uploading 1900 new images with pages now added for fragments, unidentified eroded stones and monuments unlisted in the SGS Volume 4.

Dazx

Post by Dazx » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:15 pm

I have now completed the Howff survey, included now is details from a survey carried out in 1833-34. All memorial entries now have either the inscription and claimant details or both. There is over 2000 pages available to view with a great deal of them being accompanied with photographs.

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi Darren
Thank you for the update. What a fantastic resource you have given the world ! Access is so easy and you have amalgamated so much information from the various sources. I initially thought wistfully that I have no Dundee ancestors then realised I have a distant Tawse relative who moved to Cellardyke so a visit will be required as soon as I can dig out the appropriate file (grandson is currently sleeping in front of the cupboard :D )
I hope you have a real sense of accomplishment now but I can't imagine you sitting back doing nothing :lol:

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Dazx

Post by Dazx » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:14 pm

Russell wrote:Hi Darren
Thank you for the update. What a fantastic resource you have given the world ! Access is so easy and you have amalgamated so much information from the various sources. I initially thought wistfully that I have no Dundee ancestors then realised I have a distant Tawse relative who moved to Cellardyke so a visit will be required as soon as I can dig out the appropriate file (grandson is currently sleeping in front of the cupboard :D )
I hope you have a real sense of accomplishment now but I can't imagine you sitting back doing nothing :lol:

Russell
Many thanks :)
Another small update today, I have uploaded the St Andrew's churchyard, King Street, Dundee to the site, only a small cemetery. It can be found under the "Other cemeteries" heading on the site.
And you are correct, sitting back is something I can't do! :)