Horn family in Dunfermline

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

missjeanyology

Horn family in Dunfermline

Post by missjeanyology » Tue May 10, 2016 7:05 am

This is an amazing site, have been browsing for a couple of months. The time, effort and expertise involved in replies goes above and beyond, and is very much appreciated!

I will be visiting Scotland next month and hope to be able to visit family graves in Dunfermline. Have been in contact with a few organizations but with limited useful results. The Fife Council Bereavement Services holds the records of burials but can only be reached by post (or as we say here in Canada, by mail) or by telephone. I will contact them by phone when I arrive.
The family belonged to the Canmore Street Church. What is the street address of this church? Did this church have an attached cemetery? Or does Dunfermline have one big cemetery which was used by all churches? Was it customary for ordinary folk to be buried in 'family plots'?

The following is a brief outline of four generations, with names, dates, residence (from census records) and churches mentioned in baptisms and newspaper, which may help to locate the correct family and their graves:

First generation:
William Horn and Katherine Buchan, married 12 Mar 1762, Dunfermline; had five children

Second generation:
John Horn, b. 1770, Dunfermline, married 27 Aug 1792 to Agnes Christie in Dunfermline; had seven children

Third generation:
William Horn, b. 1799, Dunfermline, married 1 Jul 1820 to Christian Pearson/Pierson in Dunfermline; four children baptized Queen Ann St. Burgher Associate, Dunfermline

Fourth generation:
John Horn, b. 1822 Dunfermline, left for Canada in 1844 and became my gr gr grandfather

The census records show:
1841 - William Horn, warehouseman, living Grant's Bank Street, with wife and three surviving children; (son William died age 3 years)
1851 - William Horn, no occupation given, living same; with wife, and unmarried daughter Agnes (daughter Jane had married John McKerral Stuart and moved to Glasgow;son John in Canada)
1861 - William Horn, warehouseman, living Queen Ann Street, with wife, and unmarried daughter Agnes
1871 - William Horn, warehouseman, living Rolland Street, widowed, with unmarried daughter Agnes (Christian Pearson died 1862)

The Dunfermline Press, March 14, 1861
This newspaper carries an article about the anniversary soiree of the Congregational Church, held in the Music Hall with about 600 people attending. A deacon spoke saying he had been with the Canmore Street Church for twenty-two years and the last eleven and a half years with William Horn, who was the treasurer. They presented Mr. Horn with a mantle clock with the following inscription: "Presented to Mr. Horn by the members of the Independent Church Dunfermline as an expression of their Christian regard and gratitude to his long continued service as Treasurer of their society, March 1861"

I have that clock with the inscription, but it is so far a mystery how it got to Canada.
I have not located a death record for William Horn or daughter Agnes Horn.

Any information about this family, their burials and the church will be most welcome.

WilmaM

Re: Horn family in Dunfermline

Post by WilmaM » Tue May 10, 2016 8:33 am

Canmore street is still in Dunfermline, I've walked along it often.
There is a church still there, a Google search brought up several hits the following one has lots of details.
http://dunfermline.urc.org.uk/?page_id=191

I can't recall any signs of a graveyard there, but the Abbey is just down the street with an extensive graveyard.

As seen in the brief history the church obviously has wealth of historical information, you could contact them and see what they know of your folks, or where their members were generally buried in that time frame.

You have a great treasure in that clock!
Wilma

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue May 10, 2016 1:54 pm

Hello and welcome to TS,

A look at the wills on Scotlands People shows that William died in Glasgow in 1876. You can view the 5 page will for 10 credits. There is also a 3 page inventory.

HORN WILLIAM 28/12/1876 SOMETIME WAREHOUSEMAN, RESIDING IN ROLLAND STREET, DUNFERMLINE, THEREAFTER IN HOLMHEAD STREET, GLASGOW, D. 29/11/1876 AT GLASGOW, TESTATE WILL GLASGOW SHERIFF COURT WILLS SC36/51

Maybe you'll find something about that clock there. :D

Regards,
Annette

missjeanyology

Post by missjeanyology » Wed May 11, 2016 4:12 am

Thank you so much for your prompt replies.
I shall follow up on the church information and will get copies of the will of William Horn from SP when I am in Edinburgh.

Again, many thanks.
Regards,
Jeany