War Memorials

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

paulpesda

War Memorials

Post by paulpesda » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:07 am

Hi. I wonder if anyone could help me, or explain the protocol with local village or town War Memorials.

Today, I found a distant ancestor who had died in the First World War. He was killed in action on the 30th July 1916. I have found all his details online, but I can't seem to find his name on the local War Memorial's that he could be linked to. He was born in Scone, but then they moved to Balbeggie, St Martin's, Perthshire. He was working in Crieff when he enlisted for the War. But he's not listed on any of those Memorials. He is listed on the main Scottish National War Memorial. Were soldiers listed on both memorials? What protocol was used and how were the names submitted for the local Memorials?

Thanks

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: War Memorials

Post by AndrewP » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:28 am

I think it depended on the organisation that was set up to gather names for their memorial. Some people are named on more than one memorial. To add to the local memorials (mostly local parish), there are also regimental memorials, school memorials and workplace memorials (and probably more types that I have missed out). Unfortunately there are some memorials that don't have any names - a prime example is the main Edinburgh memorial outside the City Chambers - no names on it. One memorial was a district nurse, something the parish was to benefit from more than a stone memorial.

It is well worth a search on http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/

All the best,

AndrewP

paulpesda

Re: War Memorials

Post by paulpesda » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:55 am

thank you