Cleaning gravestones

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:20 pm

In case it isn't mentioned elsewhere -

If you take along a mirror or large piece of white cardboard you can use it to reflect the sunlight across the face of the stone leaving the depressed inscribed areas in shadow and hopefully readable. Even a strong flashlight if there is no sun.

Sometimes it is possible to read a badly worn horizontal stone by sprinkling talculm powder onto the stone and brushing it off the high spots - although I don't know whether this would breach conservation guidelines.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:14 pm

Hi Lorna
Jack once suggested on forum the use of wooden lollipop sticks to gently remove moss and the like, and they certainly seemed like a sensible suggestion after I'd scraped my nails to bits on a stone, and had earth firmly lodged in them - just as well I was not going anywhere afterwards!!

I'd agree that the light can make a big difference.

Best wishes
Lesley

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:35 pm

Sorry to be late in replying. Been a bit distracted. Thanks for the extra hints - mirror and lollipop sticks to be tucked in too!

Thanks for the site link Anne. BTW do you have a link for Campsie graveyard(s) by any chance? I did a search but didn't come up with anything. Don't think I'm very good at that. I'm looking for Morrisons and Pauls 1800s. Be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

apanderson

Post by apanderson » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:18 pm

Hi Lorna,

I haven't got a link as such. I've got both the East & West Stirlingshire pre-1855 books. (Campsie Churchyard is in the West book) As far as I'm aware, none of the MI's are online, but I obviously stand to be corrected!!

The map reference for Campsie is NS610796 so if you go to Multimap, key in the reference, you'll get a map showing you exactly where it is.

I had a wee look through the MI's and there's only one Paul stone (well there was in the sixties/early seventies) The inscription is as follows:

Peter Paul and his wife Helen Thain
Son Peter died 17th June 1851 aged 3 months
Son Peter died 1st May 1853 aged 16 days
Daughter Margaret died 11th February 1857 aged 10 years
Daughter Helen died 19th February 1959 aged 6 years
Son Peter died 20th February 1857 aged 2 years 6 months
Son Robert died 26th July 1874 aged 29 years

There are lots of Morrison (+ variants) MI's so if you could let me know some names and dates, I'll see if I can find any to match up.

Anne

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:42 pm

Thank you very much Anne.

The Morrison I know is mine is Margaret Paul b. 08 July 1804 in Kirkintilloch to John Paul and Janet Martin, m. James Morrison (no dates) died 1861 at Crosshill Street, Lennoxtown. They had 9 children: William b. 1824, John b. 1825, Jean Stewart b. 1828, James b. 1831, Alexander Paul 1833, Mary Donaldson b. 1836, Jeremiah Paul b. 1838, Elizabeth b. 1842 and John Paul b. 1844, all in Parish of Campsie. I would dearly like to know where her father John Paul lived when he died. He had been Tollkeeper at Broomhouse after giving up a licensed grocers in Kirkintilloch and a contact told me that Tollkeepers often sold liquor so I now see there is a connection.

It seemed to me that Margaret held onto the John Paul names and also called one son after her brother Alexander (whom I have "lost") and I wondered if her father might have been with her when he died. My hope was that if he died after 1855 I might get details of his parents and confirm that he was not a "Kirkintilloch" Paul but came from elsewhere.

Sorry to be so lengthy.

As I write I realise that I should probably be researching a Lennoxtown graveyard. I live in Perthshire so not that far away, and I had thought that a pointer to an online facility would speed up any "on the ground" visit.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

apanderson

Post by apanderson » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:55 am

Hi again Lorna,

No Pauls listed as being buried in Lennoxtown Churchyard either but you would only find them listed in these books if they had a stone, so they may well be in either of them.

I know that Kirkintilloch Library has burial records although I'm not sure just exactly what they have. Might be worth a wee phone call?

William Patrick Library (Information & Archives), Kirkintilloch
Tel: 0141 776 8090.

Good Luck!

Anne

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:30 pm

Thanks so much for that Anne. Just what I will do :D

Kind regards

Lorna
Researching:

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:38 am

Hi Lorna,
Lorna Allison wrote: - it would be nice if it didn't rain though :D
I once photographed a flat tombstone in the pouring rain (I was driving through the town and it was either then or never), and the water filled up the carving and made it very easy to read-- so maybe it is an advantage 8)

I would also add my support to the lighting suggestions. Sometimes it is readable with an oblique light from the sun, then illegible when the sun goes behind a cloud... so don't give up!
Best of luck!
Sarah

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi Sarah

Just a postscript re your kindness in tracing Jessie Middlemas' family in Buffalo. I got in touch with Laramie as well and they sent me lots of info, including addresses in 2001 of three members of the family, one an architect, one a nurse and one working for a petroleum company in Middlesex :!:

They came from an alumnii register - don't think that would be allowed over here. I haven't attempted to make contact yet, as it seems a bit "invasive" of their privacy. The archivist blithely thought that they would be "delighted to hear from me" :roll:

I'm thinking about placing a potted history of the family here, plus address and photos in the archives of Buffalo and Laramie, in case someone evinces interest.

All thanks to you Sarah. You know how grateful I am.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:53 am

Hi Lorna,
So glad you got such a good response! :D It can't hurt just to send a note, describing how you are related and offering to share family information if they are interested. Sometimes they will refer you to another family member who is "the one" in the family who is interested in genealogy, if they aren't. The worst that can happen is they won't answer, but you may just find another mine of information :D
[cheers]
Sarah