Alexander Symon 1861-1871

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

JillRuddell

Re: Alexander Symon 1861-1871

Post by JillRuddell » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:35 pm

The 2nd Alexander Symon on your post, married to Ann Winton, is my Great Great Grandfather. He was born in 1828 and died in 1916.

You can contact me on JillRuddellEmirates AT gmail DOT com if you require more information.

Good luck on your quest

Jill Ruddell

Email address changed by Admin to avoid spam

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi Jill and welcome to Talking Scots

Thanks for the offer, but I know that your Alex Symon isn't mine, sadly, I can trace your one... :)

Things are on the back burner at the moment until I finish the degree I working next June, my family tree time is been eaten up with course work. :-({|= I am frightened to get a lead just now as I'll want to chase it and not study.
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

John Whiskyman

Post by John Whiskyman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:54 pm

A belated reply on an otherwise dead thread eliminating one line of enquiry.

The first Alexander Symon in the list in the opening post is my great-great-grandfather.
Son of James Symon (b. 1778) and Elizabeth Hay (b1789)
Children
John Clark Symon 1865-1908 (From whom I am descended)
Alexander Symon(b1867) (extensive family)
James Symon(b 1869 reputed to have died in West Indies)
Margaret Symon(b. 1870 m Robert Gray)
Isabella Clark Symon (1876-1966)
Jessie Jane Symon (b 1878 m. Hugh McCallum)
Elizabeth Hay Symon (b 1879 ? m. James Clark (possibly a cousin) extensive tree)

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks John for posting - it is the 3rd Alexander Symon that is mine, and still proving elusive :-( His reputed Grandfather is the same ;-) Thought my 3xGGrandmother would have known your 3xGGrandfather as they both came from Nether Dallachy.

I am still stuck more or less where I was before on Alex Symon, tried ANEFS - initially they said they could help, then they couldn't. Currently leaning towards DNA testing after doing a free online Genealogical course with furturelearn, admittedly that is more to solve the mystery of my Grandfather's father, but might stretch back to Alex Symon...
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Sun May 05, 2019 12:38 pm

I think I may have found the Alexander Symon I've been looking for, but some of the information is contradictory.

Family Search and Find A Grave has a death of an Alexander Symons on 15 Aug 1907, Cook Co. Il. and gravestone photo gives birth date as 20 Dec 1828. Family Search census says he was born in Scotland, there is only one birth of an Alexander Symon on that date in Scotland. Also says he Naturalized on 26 Oct 1869 in Superior Court of Cook Co.

But he 'married Jane/Janet Storms who came from Scotland in 1858', the first child born 1858 in Illnois (then one born; 1860, 1862, 1864, 1867, 1870). There is a Alexander Simonds with a Jane Simonds and Georgianna Jewett (1858) and baby Jewett (1860) born Homer, Illinois in the Family Search 1860 Census. I'm wondering if they changed the children's names to Symons later. My Alexander Symon fathered a child in Deskford, Banffshire in 1863 and the Kirk Session Minutes go on until 1865 when he admitted paternity, by letter. So if that is the one born in 20 Dec 1828 and he is in Illinois in 1860 - he isn't mine. :-({|=

I can't identify a birth for Jane(t) Storms in Scotland, but have her in 1841 and 1851 census in Urquhart, Moray. James Storm/Margaret Brown (parents) marry 1829 Urquhart, John Storm/Jean McGorrie (grandparents) in 1800 Dyke, Moray. Not finding a marriage in Scotland People or on Family Search for Alexander Symon(s)/Jane(t) Storm(s) and if the 1860 census is them she might have been married before.

Can someone with access check his naturaliazation documents and see if it gives his parents as Margaret Watt and James Symon (unmarried) or when he went over - which will have to be after 1864 for mine - when he was in Newmills, Keith, he can't be in two places at once. If the naturaliaztion records back up the website, then I have lost my 3xG Grandfather - again. (There were only 3 candidates and this the only Farm Servant) [rant]

On the DNA comment above - we did my Dad's DNA and managed to solve the mystery of his Grandfather, but so far nothing has turned up on the Symon line.
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

Bob C

Post by Bob C » Sun May 05, 2019 3:20 pm

"Can someone with access check his naturaliazation documents..."

According the Cook County Court Clerk's Office "The Archives Department holds Cook County Naturalization Records dating from October 1871 until 1929. All records prior to October 1871 were destroyed in the Chicago Fire."
Searching for Baillie in
Kettle, Collessie, Auchtermuchty and Markinch Fife
South Leith Midlothian
Larbert and Stirling

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Sun May 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Bob C wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:20 pm
"Can someone with access check his naturaliazation documents..."

According the Cook County Court Clerk's Office "The Archives Department holds Cook County Naturalization Records dating from October 1871 until 1929. All records prior to October 1871 were destroyed in the Chicago Fire."
Thanks for looking Bob, I'd hoped that would be the last nail in chasing this Alexander Symon and looking for mine :-( Would there be any sort of record in Washington or any place else? I wonder how they know the date to put it on Find a Grave. I guess I need to look for immigration records next...
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Wed May 08, 2019 7:51 pm

It is offically, a friend with Ancestry found the marriage of this Alexander Symon and Jane Storm, in 1859 in Illinois, so he isn't my 2xG Grandfather and I am back in the hunt for the Alexander Symon mentioned in the Kirk Session Minutes who is my GxGrandfather ](*,)
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'