More lost ains

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Moray_Lass

More lost ains

Post by Moray_Lass » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:56 am

I've just cracked another brick-wall on my 3xG Grandmother's family \:D/ , leaving me with just two problems in that generation I am not getting anywhere with - one that should be easy and one a big mystery, and I am hoping someone here can see the light... ](*,) again the 1861 census is one of my stumbling block to tracing them, my family seems to have hid from the census takers that year :roll:

Parents are Robert Loban and Isabella Laing

Jane/Jean Loban
1813 born Kingston, Speymouth, Moray
1841 census - with widowed mother, niece and nephew in Fochabers, Bellie, Moray
1850 gave birth to Isabella McKenzie (24 Dec 1850), by Simon McKenzie, they didn't marry.
1851 census - with widowed mother, niece and daughter in Fochabers
1855 puts up a gravestone to mother and father in Bellie Kirkyard
Disappears off face of the Earth with daughter, and I hope you prove me wrong.
(She is not the Janet Loban in Angus on the 1861 census)

Robert Loban
The Big Mystery - only found out he existed from his mother's dc
c1803 born Boharm, Banffshire
1828 possible sighting fathering George Lobbon/Lob(b)in with Janet Burnet in Speymouth (No Kirk Session entry concerning it)
1855 mother's death certificate has 'supposed dead'. Informant was widowed son-in-law Huntly Lawton, but at least three daughters were still alive.
(The Robert Loban in the newspapers around 1828, father of Margaret who married Lt Col William Farquhar, are his father/sister)

These two have been a dead end ever since I got Isabella Laing's dc and linked my 3xG Grandmother to them, I've managed to trace the other 7 siblings. So any help tracing these would be greatly appreciated.
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: More lost ains

Post by SarahND » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi Maggie,
I assume you have looked at the three Jane Lobbans who were married between 1855 and 1861? None are in Moray, but one is in Ordiquihill, Banff, which is not far off... :roll:

All the best,
Sarah

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:27 am

Hi Sarah

Unfortunately yes, and Boharm is even closer, the two local ones are only 19 the third is 27 a Janet in Inverness. Funnily enough only one of the three turns up under deaths with Lob*n as a maiden name... which is where I started out, thinking to work backwards. Even tried Isabella M*kenzie with a Jane in 1861 and Jane Lob*n in the 1881 census :( If it helps any she was a dressmaker in the previous census, but she might be 'independent' after that, using money her parents had - which I suspect funded the gravestone.

Just don't know what to try next. #-o
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi - I was wondering if someone with Ancestry can do a quick check on something for me.

I was messing with IGI the other day and came across an entry for a Robert Lobin in the English 1841 census, aged 35, born Scotland, but I am not finding him on Freecen and I never noticed such an entry last time I was signed up to Ancestry. The closest I am finding on a free search now is a Robert Lovine b abt 1806 Scotland, residence; Surrey, England. Can someone have a look and see if the name on the census page could be Lob(b)an/Lob(b)on/Lob(b)in, and if he is still around in 1851 - where he was born? Long short but if there is anyone else born Scotland in the household that could help me identify if this is my missing Robert too. [-o<
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:36 pm

HI Maggie,
Sorry, but he is clearly a Robert Levine, 35, Clergyman. It's hard to tell where one household ends and the other starts, but he and Robert Bent, 40, Bookseller appear to be in the household of John Goatley, 45, Clerk and his wife Mary Ann, 40. There are also two female servants. There are some funny little marks after the "no" that may indicate Scotland for John Goatley and Robert Bent... but not sure. Robert Levine is the only one clearly from Scotland.

Regards,
Sarah

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks Sarah

So it looks like IGI's transcription is every bit as creative as Ancestry's usually is :roll: back to the drawing board with my Robert Loban then :x
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Since we are bouncing threads for the Anniversary I was wondering if anyone can turn up any new leads on these two characters :-) Jane Loban and Robert Loban. Robert (if I can ever trace him) would be the only surviving son of Isabella Laing and Robert Loban - the other son died at 6 months.

I've been worrying away at the 1841 Robert Lobin on and off since I posted this thread and turned up some other things.

A Robert Libin born 1803 immigrated to New York in 1844 on the England (ship) usual place if residance England. I have an Ed Lobin born 1834 immigrating 1864 on the Edinburgh (ship) to New York (on looking on the actual image I am wondering if that is Tobin :? and not Lobin). I can't find Edward Lobin (or any spellings) on the 1851 or 1861 census on freecen or Familysearch. An Edward Lobin and Margaret Coffey had a daughter Hannah who married an Edward Brady in 1906 in New York.

I haven't been able to find a marriage for Robert Lobin to an 'Elizabeth' or a birth for Edward c1833 on FamilySearch. I have found 2 Edward Tobins born in Waterford Ireland and Northunerland, which can't be him as he was supposedly born in Middlesex :-( But a Margaret Coffey marrying an Edward *Tobin* in Ireland - so not sure about the 1906 marriage now. I can accept Lobin/Tobin transcript error, but...

Can anyone find Robert Lobban/Loban/Lobin/Libin in the 1850 New York census, or mention of a death that could have his parents so I can bury this possible lead once and for all ](*,) I don't want to get seriously into chasing these red herrings if they really are not my guy.
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:26 pm

Hello Maggie,
At first I couldn’t find him anywhere… it turns out the Ancestry transcription for the passenger list in 1844 was “Robert Libne” and in another database “Robert Sibrie” A user has added the comment that his name is really Robert Sibree. He was a surgeon on the passenger list and was buried in New York under the name Robert Sibree on 3 Dec 1847. No parents' names nor cause of death. So I think you can discount that one, anyway…

Best wishes,
Sarah

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:36 pm

Thanks Sarah for checking - obviously another deadend for me. :roll: Robert Loban's father was a shipwright so the best I'm expecting is a wright or a labourer. Still have the possibility of the 1841 census of a Robert Lobin, wife and 2 sons in a workhouse(?) and disappear. ](*,)
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'