The NAMELESS ONES

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

momat

The NAMELESS ONES

Post by momat » Sat May 12, 2012 3:26 am

Ancestry freebie for 1911 Census.

Decided to have a look on this to find a complete brickwall and trying everything from simply entering the Initials but still nothing,but I could cry from what I did find .

All the nameless ones living in instituations as inpatients and Lunatics etc; with only INITIALS against their names
How on earth would any one find those poor people.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Such inhumanity!!!!
As far as I know none of my lot .
Maureen

Currie

Re: The NAMELESS ONES

Post by Currie » Sat May 12, 2012 12:51 pm

Hello Maureen,

Here’s the guilty party!
http://www.histpop.org/ohpr/servlet/Pag ... =35&zoom=3

LUNACY COMMISSION,
66, VICTORIA STREET, S.W.,
22nd March, 1901.
SIR,
THE Registrar General has addressed a communication to the Commissioners in Lunacy, in which he requests their co-operation, in order to secure the utmost accuracy in the returns which will be required at the ensuing Census to be taken on the 1st of April next. I am accordingly directed to request your special attention to the following statement, and to express the hope of the Board that you will furnish the required information in as complete and careful a manner as possible.
Before the 31st of March, an appropriate form will be left at every County and Borough Asylum, Licensed House, Lunatic Hospital and Institution for Idiots in England and Wales, to be filled up by the Resident Medical Officer or Proprietor, as the case may be. In the case of Establishments containing more than 100 patients at the time of the Census, the person making the return will be awarded payment for the work, according to the scale approved by the Treasury.
As a special concession in the case of the insane, the initials of the patients will, if entered in the column headed "Name and Surname," be considered sufficient, provided that all the other particulars (including the former occupation, if any) are given with all practicable exactitude.
I am,
SIR,
Your obedient Servant,
L. L. SHADWELL,
Secretary.

A census has never been carried out with the intention that people could be found there at some time in the future. It was just a count of population and trends and all that jazz. It was nothing to do with genealogy.

A bit of a pain in the proverbial nevertheless.

All the best,
Alan

momat

Re: The NAMELESS ONES

Post by momat » Sat May 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Hello Alan,
Thanks for that explanation, but it is so sad that there are Hundreds of Thousands
on these lists noted in this manner.
So if you are looking for a missing ancestor and know their age and previous occupation search for them under their initials and they may just turn up here.

Correct me if I am wrong but Prisoners in jail were listed by name if I am not mistaken !

What puzzled me on the former list was how many are recorded as RUSSIANS.
Maureen