Edinburgh registration districts

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

brabason

Edinburgh registration districts

Post by brabason » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Hello
So far I have Edinburgh registration districts as (some are old)
685/1 St George
685/2 St Andrew
685/3 Canongate
685/4 St Giles
685/5 Newington
685/6 Morningside

Does anyone know were these areas are? Some of the names correspond to known areas of Edinburgh but I cannot find St Giles 685/04. Is there an old map or boundary instructions to enumerators? Many of the old street names do not exist any more so this does not help.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Edinburgh registration districts

Post by AndrewP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi there,

The registration districts changed over the years, mostly as the built-up city expanded. See the following TalkingScot page for information about what registration districts existed and when.

http://www.talkingscot.com/rds/city-rds-edin.htm

Finding boundaries is a far trickier task.

The 1911 census street index may help you. It can be found on the free-of-charge side of ScotlandsPeople.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Conte ... r=551&2070

If you are looking at a census page on ScotlandsPeople for any of the open censuses, you can click on the "view free header". You may need to "page forward" one or two pages from there, and you should get a description of the streets or area enumerated in that census book. Viewing the header pages is free, but only once you have purchased a view of one of the census pages in that book.

Loosely speaking, St Giles registration district was the High Street, Lawnmarket and the streets and closes off them (vaguely centred on St Giles' Cathedral), north as far as Princes Street Gardens and south to about Tollcross.

All the best,

AndrewP

brabason

Re: Edinburgh registration districts

Post by brabason » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Thank you for your help. You confirmed where I thought St Giles district roughly was. I was confused by the location of The New Edinburgh Infirmary but this was originally located on Infirmary Road which is definitely St Giles (now University of Edinburgh) and was described as New at the time (1870 death, demolished 1884). Thanks also for the ScotlandsPeople link, I use this web site a lot but not enough it seems!