Accessing Census forms for residential schools

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

drummerchick

Accessing Census forms for residential schools

Post by drummerchick » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi, Does anyone know if I can access census forms for residential schools, i.e. numbers in the school on census nights, names and places of birth?

Can I do it from Scotland's People website?

Many thanks
Jennifer
Jennifer

nelmit

Re: Accessing Census forms for residential schools

Post by nelmit » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:08 pm

drummerchick wrote:Hi, Does anyone know if I can access census forms for residential schools, i.e. numbers in the school on census nights, names and places of birth?

Can I do it from Scotland's People website?

Many thanks
Jennifer
Someone else will be able to answer your question more thoroughly than I can but meanwhile....

Do you know any names and ages at all? It also depends what year you want to search. The 1881 can be searched by address at Scotlands People. You can also search by address at Ancestry.

It might cost a few credits if you want to see all the people at the address on census night. There is a free header page that shows where the census was taken but I'm not sure if it would show the number of residents at that establishment.

So do you want to tell us what census and if you have an address or a person?

Regards,
Annette

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Accessing Census forms for residential schools

Post by AndrewP » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi Jennifer,

The online censuses include 'institutions' as well as households. Depending on the size of the institution, some get a census enumeration book to themselves; or some smaller ones will just be listed like a large household in amongst the neighbouring households. In that case, the institution should be named beside the leading name for that place.

Most institutions - hospitals, prisons, poor houses, police stations (including the cells), barracks, convents, lodging houses, lunatic asylums (and more) - give the information like households. However, some, lunatic asylums in particular, sometimes give only initials for their patients, rather than names. Enumeration books include the "free header" which has some summary information, usually including a full headcount from that book. For institution enumeration books, the summary information can be used to see how many people were present in that institution on census night.

All the best,

AndrewP