Stephen Caine

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

EllenGanssle

Stephen Caine

Post by EllenGanssle » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:36 pm

My great-grandfather, Stephen Caine, ((b.1877 Gurtane, Ireland) died in the Paisley Poorhouse in 1910. He was said to have had "bad lungs from the war". I have not had any luck searching his name for the Boer War. I'm not really sure how to search for it.

Also, I can't find the 1911 census for Bridget (Scahill) Cain. She lived at 8 Broomlands, Paisley. I recently heard that my grandfather, Michael Cain (Keane) left to live with a wealthy aunt when his father died. It would had to have been either his Aunt Mary Scahill, or his Aunt Margaret Scahill.

My grandfather, Michael Cain, emigrated in 1927. He was married to Annie Donoghue, but she died in the 1928 Times Square Subway Crash. He used the settlement money to bring over the rest of his family.

Any help is much appreciated!!
Ellen Keane Ganssle

speleobat2

Re: Stephen Caine

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi Ellen

I had a look at the 1911 Census too and found no one by any of those names anywhere which makes no sense. I went to Ancestry.com and found two families on the 1901 census that might be clues. The first is for Stephen and Bridget Cain and Maggie Scahill living at 8 Broomlands who are the relatives you are posting about I think. Also, there is the family of Bridget Donaghy 56, Mary Scahell Donaghy 30 and a bunch of children last name Donaghy and Margaret Scahill 3, Annie Scahill 2. I checked the 1911 census for Donaghy and there are many in Paisley.

My guess is that your missing Bridget Scahill Cain is listed as Donaghy for what ever reason.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

EllenGanssle

Re: Stephen Caine

Post by EllenGanssle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:40 am

Thanks, Carol!
Stephen and Bridget are married in 1901, and Bridget's sister, Maggie, lives with them. Stephen is dead in1910, but he had 5 children, my grandfather, Michael Cain, John Cain, Stephen Cain, Hannah, and Margaret.

Bridget has a sister, Mary, but she married a Giblin. I can't find Bridget, or her children, or her sister, Maggie.

Every time I look on SP, it's wrong.