Help - where did Helen appear from?? .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Ted

Help - where did Helen appear from?? .....

Post by Ted » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:17 am

Hi Everyone - Seasons Greetings to you all

I could do with some help (again) - I have my GG Grandparents James Allan & Jane Aitken on the 1861 Census in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, with what I thought were their two youngest sons John (aged 12) and Robert (my G Grandfather aged 9).

Lo and behold - there is another wean now - Helen aged 2. I had no previous knowledge of this child. My problem starts here however - I can find no trace of her birth - she is marked on the census as born in Inverurie - on SP I can only find one female Allan birth in Inverurie between 1857 and 1861 - Ann Allan - this one is not related. I have a wee bit of difficulty believing that this Helen is a child of James and Jane as he was between 50 and 58 (his age varies on all of the info I have on him) and she was about 54. Although not impossible, I think they were getting on a bit to have a child at that age. I have uploaded a copy of the census entry to the gallery on this link:-

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-330

I searched for all Helen Allans born Aberdeenshire and Banffshire - none on SP fit the bill here. All female children born between the possible dates is too big a random number to pay for on speculation.

It may be that this Helen is the daughter of James & Janes 2nd son - James Allan Bn 1836 at Chapel of Garioch - but I cannot find him on the 1861 census - or any trace of a marriage for him.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to derivative names from Helen - this might help to progress my searches.

Any suggestions on tracing Helen gratefully accepted.

Thanks lots & best regards

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

nelmit

Re: Help - where did Helen appear from??

Post by nelmit » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:02 pm

Ted wrote:Hi Everyone - Seasons Greetings to you all

I could do with some help (again) - I have my GG Grandparents James Allan & Jane Aitken on the 1861 Census in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, with what I thought were their two youngest sons John (aged 12) and Robert (my G Grandfather aged 9).

Lo and behold - there is another wean now - Helen aged 2. I had no previous knowledge of this child. My problem starts here however - I can find no trace of her birth - she is marked on the census as born in Inverurie - on SP I can only find one female Allan birth in Inverurie between 1857 and 1861 - Ann Allan - this one is not related. I have a wee bit of difficulty believing that this Helen is a child of James and Jane as he was between 50 and 58 (his age varies on all of the info I have on him) and she was about 54. Although not impossible, I think they were getting on a bit to have a child at that age. I have uploaded a copy of the census entry to the gallery on this link:-

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-330

I searched for all Helen Allans born Aberdeenshire and Banffshire - none on SP fit the bill here. All female children born between the possible dates is too big a random number to pay for on speculation.

It may be that this Helen is the daughter of James & Janes 2nd son - James Allan Bn 1836 at Chapel of Garioch - but I cannot find him on the 1861 census - or any trace of a marriage for him.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to derivative names from Helen - this might help to progress my searches.

Any suggestions on tracing Helen gratefully accepted.

Thanks lots & best regards

Ted
Hello Ted,

I agree that Jane seems a bit old to have a 2 year old daughter but you never know.

Hopefully somebody more expert than me will think of better ways but I looked at the High Wallis IGI batch numbers and there are two possible Helens (who appear to be illegitimate) born at the right time. Helen Crombie mother Jean and Helen McQueen mother Helen. do either of these names mean anything to you?

Regards,
Annette M

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:08 pm

Hi Ted (TS' Braw Lad)

I sympathise with you in trying to find out who belongs where. Several of my Aberdeenshire ancestors were brought up by grandparents or aunts, with their mother nowhere to be seen.

I have Helens on my tree, called Nellie, Ellen or Nell depending on which cert you look at.

Happy searching
Catriona

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:13 pm

Hi Ted

Looking at the image of the census, it seems to me that whereas James, Jane and John are all clearly recorded as Allan, both Robert and Helen seem to be equally clearly recorded as Allen. While I'm sure that they're all the same family, have you tried looking for Helen's birth under Allen?

Mary

nelmit

Re: Help - where did Helen appear from??

Post by nelmit » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:00 am

Duplicate post deleted TSAG

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:29 am

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your time and interest - I have tried all of your suggestions - nae luck. James & Jane also had two daughters who might be Helen's parents - but they still elude me as well. Elizabeth Mearns Allan Bn 1838 at Chapel of Garioch and Jean Allan Bn 1841 at Inverurie. They both show on the 1841 census with James and Jane at Inverurie but no trace of them after that. I can't find marriages or deaths for either of them after 1855 - so it is possible that they both died between 1841 and 1855. If I can trace Helen (she must have been born somewhere !) it might open up my brick wall with the others of the family.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

PS - Catriona - Selkirk is under 6 inches of snow this morning.

Very best regards

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:18 pm

Ted

How about trying to find a marriage or a death for Helen? The certificate should give parents' names.

Mary

Ted

Post by Ted » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:41 pm

Hi Mary

Went down that route a wee while ago - no luck for either a marriage or death - makes me think that maybe Helen was not her only name - or that she was registered as something else.

Thanks anyway

Ted

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:39 am

Hi Ted

You have a problem! Looks like being one of those ](*,)

Mary

Ted

Re: Help - where did Helen appear from?? .....

Post by Ted » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Hello everyone

Is anyone up for a challenge? I first posted this thread in 2005 and it is still a brick wall for me - despite looking at the problem from every angle I can think of - including standing on my head!

There are a multitude of new members here since 2005 and I wonder if anyone has any fresh suggestions? I'm completely out of ideas on this one.

Thanks lots

Ted ](*,)