Shaw.....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:56 pm

Elizabeth, John, Elizabeth, Edward and Margaret are in the 1871 census for Greenock. No John (the father) at the same address.

Edward would have been exactly the right age.

Edward obviously had children but I can't find him or Jenny/ie in the 1900 or 1910 US Census
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:49 pm

Hi Andy,

Is there an error with the 1871 image - father John missing? The index has these.
--
1871 cens 564-3 Ed 40 p2 (Greenock)
John SHAW 58
Elizth 48
John 29
Elizth 27
Edward 18
Margaret 14 [wrongly indexed under 564-3 Ed 44 p 2]
--
Jack

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:51 pm

Hi Jack,

I was just looking at the GROS reference numbers.

Elizabeth Shaw, the daughter married John McKinley in 1865 so it's lucky she was counted as a Shaw. Two grandchildren were staying at the house. Elizabeth Martin McKinley 4 and John Shaw McKinley.

They stayed at 6 Union Street so they could have nipped over to the Watt Library to look up their own details.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:03 pm

Thanks Andy,

I hadn't actually looked at the entry - just some index nos.

I guess it's over to Dennis to see if he can throw some light on Edward and his family in the USA.

We've often heard of brothers that look just like twins; "his twin double". So as the years roll by maybe all that is remembered is "twin & brothers". Clutching at straws!

Jack

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:25 am

Hi folks,

Just some census details.
--
1841 cens 564 Ed 28 p 2 (Greenock St. Thomas)
Low Vennel.
John SHAW, 25, carpenter j/man, b RFW
Elizabeth SHAW, 18, -------- b RFW
John SHAW, 15 days, ------ b RFW
&
1851 cens 564-3 (441) Ed 92 pp 3-4 (Greenock West)
106 Union St.
John SHAW, head, marr, 38, ship carpenter, b Greenock
Elizabeth SHAW, wife, 28, -------- b Greenock
John SHAW, son, 9, scholar, b Greenock
Elizabeth SHAW, daur, 7, scholar, b Greenock
Neil SHAW, son, 6 mos, ------- b Greenock
&
1871 cens 564-3 Ed 40 p 2 (Greenock West)
6 Union St.
John SHAW, head, marr, 58, carpenter (unemployed), b Greenock
Elizth. SHAW, wife, 48, --------- b Greenock
John SHAW, son, u/m 29, baker, b Greenock
Elizth. SHAW, daur, u/m 27, ----- b Greenock
Edward SHAW, son, u/m 18, railway clerk, b Greenock
Margt. McL. SHAW, daur, 13, scholar, b Greenock
Elizth. M. McKINLAY, gr-daur, 4, ------- b Greenock
John Shaw McKINLAY, gr-son, 2, ------ b Greenock

[error with daur Elizabeth 27 - she was dittoed as unmarried]
--
I'd a quick look at Union Street in 1861, but it was spread across several enumeration districts and search was cut short when i was politely told to get out - closing time!
The 1861 name index should make it easier to find the family.

Jack

dennyshaw

Re: Shaw.....

Post by dennyshaw » Mon May 09, 2016 3:34 am

Hi,
It's been a very long time since I originally started this post. I now do believe this is the family of my GG Grandfather Edward Shaw. At the time I was hung up on the family legend of a twin brother, but as I researched the family more, using what info had been passed down to me, I found there were much information and stories that were false, I think Edward having a twin was one of them. I have Edwards naturalization papers, unfortunately it only says Scotland, but it does say he immigrated to the US in 1871. I've been unable to find any immigration records. How can I research that on the Scotland end? Through DNA testing, I am also showing a link to Elizabeth Shaw who shows up as Edward's older sister who immigrated in 1873 with her husband John McKinley and settled in Mexico Missouri. Edward died in a hospital in St. Louis Missouri in 1901.
Not sure if anyone will pick back up on the post, but thank you in advance for any more help in tracing Edward back to Scotland.
Dennis

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon May 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Welcome back Dennis.

Looking back at previous posts I suppose the first question you have to answer .....is the Edward who worked at the watch factory and was married to Jennie your grandfather.

The most obvious birth is to John Shaw and Elizabeth Martin as Jean said.

Name Edward Shaw
Gender Male
Christening Date 02 Jan 1853
Christening Place SIR MICHAEL STREET UNITED PRESBYTERIAN, GREENOCK, RENFREW, S
Birth Date 04 Dec 1852
Father's Name John Shaw
Mother's Name Elizabeth Marten

As Jack said this Edward Shaw appears on the 1871 Scotland census as a railway clerk but no sign of him after that in Scotland.

It looks as though Edward and Jennie had at least 2 children - George and Alfred - are either of these your ancestor?

Regards,
Annette

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon May 09, 2016 6:36 pm

Death Record
SHAW John 1883 John Shaw, shipwright, formerly of Greenock, died at Mexico, Missouri on 29th July 1883
(Greenock Telegraph 13.8.1883)
https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en& ... yde.gov.uk

There are plenty of other Greenock Shaw possibilities in the Watt Library pdf, including this one.

Marriage Record
RODGERS Robert 1879 Robert Rodgers to Maggie McLellan, youngest daughter of John Shaw, carpenter, at 2 Princes Street, Greenock on 15th April 1879 by Reverend D. Boyd.
(Greenock Advertiser 17.4.1879,
Greenock Telegraph 17.4.1879)
https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en& ... yde.gov.uk

Alan

dennyshaw

Post by dennyshaw » Mon May 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, Edward Shaw who was in Elgin is my Great Grandfather. He marrie Jennie Shaw, daughter of William Stewart Shaw. They had three children, George, Ethyl and my Grand Father Alfred Stewart born in 1890. Records I have say only that he was from Scotland, but the John and Elizabeth connection seems very strong, and also through DVA testing I seemed to be linked to Edwards older sister Elizabeth. I would love it if I could find out where he immigrated from. His father was a ships carpenter. I wonder if it's possible he could have been crew coming over and not a passenger, because I've never been able to find him on a passenger ship
Thanks,
Dennis

dennyshaw

Post by dennyshaw » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 pm

So it's been a little while since I've been back here looking into my Shaw ancestors in Greenock. And all the info was very helpful, the family we've discussed turned out to be who I was looking for. Now I have another line I researching, This time it's on my Mothers side and the name is Gormley.
Edward Gormley and Martha McBride, as far as I can tell, were both born in Ireland, but were married in Pollockshaws, Renfrewshire in 1859.
Martha's parents, Thomas and Margaret Dougan were also in Pollockshaws. My Great Grandfather John E Gormley was born there in 1864 and then sometime around 1869 they immigrated to American ending up in Lorain County Ohio. So once again, any info that you might be able to find to add to my understanding of my Gormley line would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis Shaw