John J Wall 40
David Webster 20
Maggie Weldon 71
Eveline M Whyte 27
John Whyte 46
John F Whyte 5
Mary A William 27
Henry Woolf 41
Last edited by JustJean on Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:13 pm

opps...hit enter when I meant to comment!!

I tried any number of searches to find her!! Finally had to resort to looking at the original on SP before believing she existed!!! Anyhow...I guess her age was obliterated enough to that it was left blank. Interesting.....so that that was what was blocking my Ancestry search.

I hate to blow your theory but this one seems to be ok. There is no indexing of any entries in the G&E column on Ancestry and so because it wasn't erroneously added on the the place of birth column then it doesn't appear at all.

Best wishes
Jean

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:18 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..................................

A certain lack of consistency :!:

As the entry is clearly "Invernessshire<sup>Boleskine</sup>", then in the next column "G&E", the <sup>superscript</sup> to indicate that Boleskine is squeezed in above and a wee bit to the right of Invernessshire in order to fit all of the info in the box !!

Arrrggghhhhhhhhhh :!: :!:

David

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:26 pm

What intrigues me in this little saga is that every single name has been transcribed correctly
There actually was another problem finding that Christina Davidson one.

It didn't show up if I entered her name. If, however, I only put in Old Machar and the page number, there she was!

The name was right, but the search engine couldn't find it!
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:39 pm

emanday wrote:The name was right, but the search engine couldn't find it!
This has happened a number of times to me on the 1871 and 1891 census search. When I finally find the person, the name is correct, but it doesn't come up in a search. If I know other people in the household, I just keep searching until I find one of them who IS found by the search engine. There is definitely something wrong with the search in specifically these two censuses. I have told them about one of the problems (see viewtopic.php?t=8589 ) but it might be a good idea if more people complained about the other glitches.
Regards,
Sarah

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:47 pm

Hmmmmm......I had no prob finding Christina.....

I got 10 results as shown below:

Christina Davidson Wm G abt 1862 Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire Wife Aberdeen Old Machar Aberdeenshire
Christina Davidson William, Isabella abt 1886 Abdnshire, Aberdeen Daur (Daughter) Aberdeen Old Machar Aberdeenshire
Christina Davidson abt 1874 Petty G & E, Invernesshire Lodger Aberdeen Old Machar Aberdeenshire
Christina Davidson Robert abt 1854 Kemnay, Aberdeenshire Wife Aberdeen Old Machar Aberdeenshire
Christina Davidson John, Isabella abt 1878 Kincardineshire Daut (Daughter) Aberdeen Old Machar Aberdeenshire
Christina Davidson abt 1850 Deer, Aberdeensh: New Head Aberdeen Old Machar Aberdeenshire
Christina Davidson abt 1854 Marnoch, Banffshire Head Sister (Head) Aberdeen Old Machar Aberdeenshire
Christina Davidson John, Jane abt 1874 Abdn, Abdnshire Daur (Daughter) Aberdeen Old Machar Aberdeenshire
Christina Davidson abt 1868 Aberdeenshire, Birse Patient Aberdeen Old Machar Aberdeenshire
Christina F Davidson James, Jane abt 1876 Durris, Kincardineshire Daur (Daughter) Aberdeen Old Machar Aberdeenshire

when I searched on:

First Name: Christina
Last Name: Davidson
Civil Parish: Old Machar
Reg #: 168/2

Knowing I was looking for the G&E entry it wasn't hard to choose the right one!

Best wishes
Jean

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:59 pm

This seems to be the real problem we are all having, Jean.

One day the search works fine - another day it doesn't! When Sarah had previously mentioned a problem she'd had, I did exactly the same search as she had and it worked fine. This was only a short time after her attempt.

It's the inconsistencies of the service that is maddening and, just to prove that point, I did that Christina Davidson search again a few minutes ago, including her name, and it worked fine this time. :roll:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:01 pm

And hmmmmm again. I just tried again to find Mary Fraser (who had been nowhere in sight a minute ago) and there she is, clear as day, in a search for Mary Fraser, housemaid, page 26 (no other info). Something is indeed very odd and also inconsistent.
:?
Regards,
Sarah