1841 census .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

BillyF

1841 census .....

Post by BillyF » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:10 pm

Hi all I was wondering if and where you can get access to the 1841 census for Edinburgh . I will need to go through and spend a day or two in Edinburgh to find my GGGGGGrandad who was born 1769 died 1835 , I know his wife is buried in the West Church Burying Ground 1859 but when I went I couldn't find her in the records or in the graveyard are there 2 west church burying grounds in edinburgh ? , anyway sorry about all the questions
billy
researching the Fleming,Bennett,Brannigan,Mooney,McIlroy, Stewart & Gamble families

sporran

Re: 1841 census

Post by sporran » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:29 pm

Hello Billy,

GROS definitely has the 1841 census films but it costs £17 a day there. A cheaper option (and better film reader with printer attached) is at Edinburgh Central library on George IV Bridge. However, for either place there is no name index for 1841, there will be several films, and each film will take up to 2 hours to look through. No booking arrangements, so get there for doors opening, usually at 10 for the library.

Regards,

John

AndrewP
Site Admin

1841 census

Post by AndrewP » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:58 pm

Have you found her on the 1851 census? In the Edinburgh Room of the Central Library (George IV Bridge) there is a name index for the 1851 census (Edinburgh parishes).

I can't remember if there is a street index for the 1841 census (there probably is). I am fairly sure there is no name index. Do you know where you were expecting her to be living in 1841?

The West Church was another name for St Cuthberts Church which has its graveyard surrounding it at Lothian Road. There is a Monumental Inscriptions book fot St Cuthberts Churchyard in the Edinburgh Room. I cannot remember what date that goes up to - many of these are up to 1855.

It may be worth an e-mail or phone call to the Edinburgh Room asking if they have a name and/or street index for the 1841 census (Edinburgh area). Contact details on the Local Studies Library links page at www.talkingscot.com/links/libraries.htm

See also http://www.st-cuthberts.net/

Don't apologise for asking questions. It's the only way you will get answers.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

BillyF

Post by BillyF » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:49 pm

Cheers guys , I will try the edinburgh room . I did find her on the 1841 free cen search living with her daughters. She was at 18 Roxburgh street when she died and at 5 west adam street in the 1841 with 2 daughters and what looks like a grandaughter . Cheers for the link
Billy
researching the Fleming,Bennett,Brannigan,Mooney,McIlroy, Stewart & Gamble families

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:46 pm

This lady (and her family) moved less than 100 yards between these addresses.

Go to http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/to ... 00_se.html
Near the NW corner, select map III,8,16
On that map, go to the SE corner to find these two streets.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

BillyF

edinburgh map

Post by BillyF » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:54 pm

Andrew thanks a million mate , I have various addresses and when seen in your map they are all in touching distance , Drummond street , Lady Yester church , United Presbyterian Church ,marriages in Lady Glenorchy's church ,Roxburgh st ,West Adam street , they are all there. I am a Glaswegian but have been through a few times lately to see where they came from , the street map is gold. Now I can get a picture in my head.
Cheers mate
Billy

ronmac

1841 census

Post by ronmac » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:16 pm

Billy, before you go to Edinburgh, check the Mitchell Library in North St Glasgow. There is a book there indexed for the Edinburgh Census for 1851. Hopefully you will find a street for your ggggggrandmother, which perhaps will save a lot of time on looking at the 1841 census.
Ron
researching M(a)cKenzie, McNair, McIndoe, McLaws, Wat(t)ers, Manson

DavidWW

Re: 1841 census

Post by DavidWW » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:28 am

AndrewP wrote:I can't remember if there is a street index for the 1841 census (there probably is). I am fairly sure there is no name index. Do you know where you were expecting her to be living in 1841?
There is indeed a street index at NRH for 1841, but only for the cities of Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I have a vague memory that The Mitchell has a copy of this A4 size book.

To complete the picture there are similar indexes for all the other open censuses up to 1901, the coverage becoming wider decade by decade until most urban areas are covered in 1901.

Remember as well that the 1881 census can be searched on the basis of an address, either on the SP site, or using the Advanced Search capability in the 2 area CDs covering Scotland.

GROS told the User Group many moons ago that the 1901 street index was going to be added to the site, but nothing yet, - in fact it's so long ago that until I typed that I'd forgotten that we User Group members actually used it on a test site.........

Orraverybest

Davie

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:48 am

When i went up to Dundee last year i found my way around easily using a 1901 ordnance survey map. Such maps show every street and buildings including pubs,wash houses......They are a joy to read and include a street index. They are limited to specific areas but I would be suprised if such maps did not include Edinburgh. Go to www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk They cost less than three pounds delivered to your door.
Malcolm
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:21 pm

Malcolm wrote:When i went up to Dundee last year i found my way around easily using a 1901 ordnance survey map. Such maps show every street and buildings including pubs,wash houses......They are a joy to read and include a street index. They are limited to specific areas but I would be suprised if such maps did not include Edinburgh. Go to www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk They cost less than three pounds delivered to your door.
Malcolm
Malcolm

Agreed that these maps are excellent for getting to know an area, but they lack one thing which the NRH street indexes have; the ED number, and the page or pages which covers the address of interest; so that it's possible to straight to a page or several pages for an entry of interest instead of having to look through a complete census district, - not that big a task for a small rural parish, but can be a real pain for a town or a city!

Orraverybest

Davie