1881 census Henry Gilmour question about residence .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

1881 census Henry Gilmour question about residence .....

Post by Dennis » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:14 pm

Hi. The residence for the Henry Gilmour family in the 1881 census, Newton On Ayr, is given as Saltfield House. I can't seem to locate that it ever existed. Perhaps it was demolished. I don't know.

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:48 pm

Hi Dennis

I am sure someone with more local knowledge can help you more than me, but I did find one reference in the Scotsman - 1912 , a divorce case came before Lord Anderson: James Morrison, rope runner, Ayr Harbour, 7 Saltfield House, Taylor Street, Ayr against Helen Wilson or Morrison ...

Looking at the 1855 map of Ayr on www.nls.uk , on grid 4 , you can see Saltfield Lane parallel to Taylor Street with one house in between and I guess that could be Saltfield House. ???

Time for you to go to the seaside ... :wink:
All the best
Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:57 pm

Sally. Thank you for the map reference:)

dennis

lizzieayr

Re: 1881 census Henry Gilmour question about residence .....

Post by lizzieayr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:38 pm

hi i was looking for the location of saltfield house when i found this as im james morrisons great granddaughter :) was wondering if u could let me know where you found his divorce in the paper would love to see it :) x