address question for census find .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:04 am

Hi Kathy
Struggling with the maps - no sign so far. Partner who has regularly been in Applecross since his teens says it is not a familiar name to him, so it may be somewhere which used to be there but isn't now. I suspect, if anyone can, Andrew will come up with the goods!
If you are planning on going there I'm sure you will enjoy it - a truly magical part of Scotland. (OK, helped along greatly by the wonderful pub & food!!)
Happy memories of boiling up a small panful of whelks just harvested off the rocks!!

Best wishes
Lesley

kathyc

Post by kathyc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:07 am

Mary,

Thanks for the lead. I'll definitely follow up on it. :)

Kathy
Researching MacLeans, MacRaes, and MacKenzies of Torridon and Shieldaig, MacKenzies and Frasers of Ballindalloch

kathyc

Post by kathyc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:09 am

Lesley,

Thanks for checking. It may well be that the place has disappeared since 1841.

Kathy
Researching MacLeans, MacRaes, and MacKenzies of Torridon and Shieldaig, MacKenzies and Frasers of Ballindalloch

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:15 am

Hi Kathy (and Lesley),

I have raked through the online maps (old and recent) and a Postcode Directory and can find no sign of Duriie Na Furan or anything similar.

All the best,

AndrewP

kathyc

Post by kathyc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:20 am

Thanks for checking, Andrew.

Best,
Kathy

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:23 am

Hi Kathy
Aye, but on the other hand, Applecross as a district covers a vast area - not densely populated, but a very large area, and En. Dist. 12 will likely be quite some distance from the village of Applecross itself.

Best wishes
Lesley

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:26 am

Hi Kathy & Andrew
The only thing I found at all similar, which was stretching it a bit, was up the north end of the peninsula: Rubha na Fearn & Rubha na Fearna - but I've not seen the original census entry - it may be very clear on there?

Best wishes
Lesley

suedot

Re: address question for census find .....

Post by suedot » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 am

I know this is a very old thread but just in case you were still wondering about doire na fuaran. It was a tiny settlement on Loch Torridon. Now just an archaeological site at the foot of Mt Liathach. I visited a few years ago because it is where my great grandfather John MacLean was born. He appears as a 2 year old in the 1841 census. Years later when he had emigrated to New Zealand he bought a farm and named it Dorie after his birthplace. I have been unable to find any reference to him or his family in the 1851 census and wonder if the settlement still existed then. Would be very interested to know if anyone else has connections to the area and could help.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:09 am

Hello Suedot and [welcome] to TalkingScot.
We love when new information is added to a post. It all adds to our understanding plus offering a Google search another fact to latch on to :)
Kathyc has not visited the forum for a couple of years but if she still has the same e-mail address she will be notified about your post.
When an older post is re-activated it usually stimulates interest with folk who are newer members and - who knows- your info may knock down someone else's brick wall :D

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

kathyc1

Post by kathyc1 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:46 am

Hi Suedot,

Thanks so much for the information. That's a great help! I believe you sent me a private message also, but I'm unable to access it as I couldn't get in to my account. If you don't mind re-sending it to this account, that would be great. Thank you!

Russell, I do still have the same email address and received the notification, but was unable to log in, as I'd forgotten my password, and the "forgot my password" system assured me my username and email address combination don't exist, so I had to sign up with a new user name.

Kathy