address question for census find .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

kathyc

address question for census find .....

Post by kathyc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:04 am

I believe I've found my gggg grandparents and ggg grandfather on the 1841 census, thanks to Freecen. (Yay!)

Their address is given/transcribed as "Duriie Na Furan". Does anyone know if that's the name of a house, of if it's a phrase that means something else altogether?

Thanks!
Kathy
Researching MacLeans, MacRaes, and MacKenzies of Torridon and Shieldaig, MacKenzies and Frasers of Ballindalloch

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:07 am

Hi kathy
Any chance you could tell us where the census was taken? - I'm guesing it is a gaelic speaking area :lol: but if you could narrow it down a bit I'm sure that would be a help when it comes to looking at maps.

Best wishes
Lesley

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:09 am

Hi Kathy,

The next step is probably for you to download the census page from ScotlandsPeople and see if the transcription is right. This may well be anglicised Gaelic, so may be tricky to get a good translation. It is most probably the house name.

All the best,

AndrewP

kathyc

Post by kathyc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:10 am

Absolutely! Thanks for jumping in.

I'll give you everything I have from the Freecen listing in case any of it is useful:

Piece: SCT1841/58
Place: Applecross - Ross and Cromarty
Enumeration District: 12
Civil Parish: Applecross
Address: Duriie Na Furan

My gggg grandfather was Roderick (listed as Rodk) Maclean (listed as McLean).

Kathy
Researching MacLeans, MacRaes, and MacKenzies of Torridon and Shieldaig, MacKenzies and Frasers of Ballindalloch

kathyc

Post by kathyc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:12 am

Thanks, Andrew. I'll have to do that as soon as my budget allows me the credits.

Kathy

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:16 am

Hi Kathy,

What age was he given as? There are 7 Rodk McLeans in Applecross ED12 (plus a Rodk MacLean). Also, is a page number given?

All the best,

AndrewP

kathyc

Post by kathyc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:19 am

Andrew,

In the 1841 census, his age is given as 50, his occupation as Piper.

The page information seems to be Folio: 0, Page: 5

Kathy

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:19 am

Hi Kathy
Ha! Applecross - wonderful area to go for a holiday. Excellent pub with brilliant food, sheep, excellent beach, peace and quiet, no mobile phone reception, drive through a stunning pass to to get there ...what more could one ask!! Ok... you could ask for the location of the place you are looking for... I'll go get my box of maps!

Best wishes
Lesley

kathyc

Post by kathyc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:49 am

Lesley,

Good to know there's an excellent pub there. :) We're planning a family holiday in summer '08 to visit some of the family history places, so I'll make a note of the good pub food. :D

Thanks for checking your maps.

Cheers,
Kathy

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:50 am

Doire means "thicket" or "clump of trees"
Na means either "the" or "of the"
Fuaran means "Well".

So it could be (stretching now) "Wood of the Well"

Did a bit of a search and found Doire Na Fuaran mentioned in this webpage. It's about a team uncovering a small group of dwellings...

http://www.propertymall.com/press/article/7632

It mentions the National Trust. Maybe they can help.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)