Wilsons

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Barclay

Wilsons

Post by Barclay » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:15 pm

Hello forum,

I have a Wilson line in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire but I'm not convinced that it raelly all fits. This is the information that I have gathered.

Edaward David Wilson was the son of John Wilson and Jessie Urquhart who were married 27/9/1867 @ Old Machar, Aberdeen

John Wilson,60 army pensioner died 1901 @ Old Machar, Aberdeen. Sp death cert states his parents were John Wilson, a carter, and Jane Scott.

A John Wilson and Jane Scott were recorded married in the parishes of Ellon and Old Machar 26/10/1848. Census data for this couple for 1851 WILSON John Head M M 33 Mason Emp 10 Men Aberdeenshire - Monquhitter
SCOTT Jane Wife M F 30 Aberdeenshire - New Deer
WILSON Margaret Dau - F 1 Aberdeenshire - Ellon
WILSON John Son - M 1m Aberdeenshire - Ellon
WILSON Isabella Sister Aberdeenshire - Monquhitter

The first thing that is making me unsure of whether this is my line or not is the fact that John Wilson's 1868 death certificate(if it is the correct John Wilson) states he is 66,a carter, the widower of Jane Scott but states his parents were -Wilson(sergeant rifle brigade) and Margaret Urquhart. The informant was the governor of Old Machar poorhouse. The parents of the John Wilson in the census above appear to be a John Wilson and Margaret Taylor.

I cannot find a death certificate for Jane Wilson nee Scott, which preceeds that of John but there is one for 1905 for Jane Wilson 85, widow of John Wilson, builder-mason.

There are so many little inconsistancies around John Wilson husband of Jane Scott about his occupation, parentage and ages that make me doubt whether he is the father of the later John who married Jessie and also whther he is the same John from the census. The only consistant factor is Jane Scott but there are no other Scott/Wilson marriages that I can fnd that fit. Do you think these Wilson were just really bad at getting information recorded?

nelmit

John Wilson

Post by nelmit » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:51 pm

Hello Barclay,

Not sure if this might help - This looks likely to be John and family in 1841. What age is Isabella his sister on the 1851 census. Does it match with the Isobel here in 1841?

Piece: SCT1841/223 Place: Monquhitter -Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 7
Civil Parish: Monquhitter Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Millbrex
Folio: 7 Page: 1
Address: Maryhill

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
WILSON John M 50 Mason Outside Census County (1841)
WILSON Margaret F 45 Aberdeenshire
WILSON John M 20 Journeyman Mason Aberdeenshire
Page: 7/2 WILSON James M 15 Apprentice Mason Aberdeenshire
WILSON William M 15 Apprentice Mason Aberdeenshire
WILSON Ann F 25 Aberdeenshire
WILSON Jane F 13 Aberdeenshire
WILSON Isobel F 10 Aberdeenshire
WILSON Elizabeth F 8 Aberdeenshire
WILSON Mary F 6 Aberdeenshire
HENDRY James M 25 Journeyman Mason Outside Census County (1841)
HENDRY Elizabeth F 2 Aberdeenshire
HENDRY John M 1m Aberdeenshire
SHIVAS James M 20 Apprentice Mason Aberdeenshire
SMART Fordyce M 13 Ag Lab Aberdeenshire
Kind regards,
Annette M

Barclay

Post by Barclay » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks nelmit, yes I think that is the John that is in the 1851 census. However what I'm really trying to establish, sorry I didn't make this clear in my initial post, is whether people think I have the correct John Wilson death certificate i.e is the John Wilson in the death cert the father of the later John who married Jessie Urquhart and if he is then is he also the John in the census in Ellon in 1851 and Monquhitter in 1841.

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:09 pm

Hi Barclay

There are 3 John Wilson families in 1861 Aberdeenshire whose occupation is "mason".

John Wilson (wife Jean) b abt 1818 Monquhitter, Aberdeens Head Ellon Aberdeenshire
John Wilson (wife Margaret) b abt 1822 Fyvie, Aberdeensh Head Old Machar Aberdeenshire
John Wilson (wife Jervis) b abt 1801 Leochel Cushnie, Aberdeenshire Head St Nicholas Aberdeenshire

The fellow that died in the poorhouse fits age wise with number 3 above. It's possible Jervis is a second wife and perhaps his first one was named Jean/Jane Scott or something similiar. According to her DC Jervis mn is Ross.

Considering the age of your John Wilson (or should i say "J"...(tricked me for a minute) at his 1867 marriage is 28 this means he was around maybe for the 1841 census. Also based on age you can quickly see he doesn't fit the profile of either of the other Johns. The one with family head number 1 above is the also the one you have in 1851 at 1 month old. The one with family head number 2 from above is found in Old Machar in 1851 census as age 3 and again in 1861 as age 13.

Have you tried finding him with a John/Jane couple for the 1841 census?? Do you know of any siblings to your "J" that could help confirm you have the right family grouping??

Does any of this help??

Best wishes
Jean

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:13 pm

What does it say about John's parents' names and father's occupation when he married Jessie in 1867?

Kind regards,
Annette M

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:20 pm

There is this family who might fit with the death of John Wilson the carter.

Piece: SCT1841/168 Place: Aberdeen -Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 3
Civil Parish: North Parish Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 4 Page: 38
Address: Justice Street, Massons Court

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
RENNY Margaret F 61 Independent Outside Census County (1841)
WILSON John M 36 Carter Outside Census County (1841)
WILSON Jean F 31 Outside Census County (1841)
WILSON James M 11 Aberdeenshire
WILSON David M 7 Aberdeenshire
WILSON John M 2 Aberdeenshire

Regards,
Annette M

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:01 pm

Hi there

In 1851 in Aberdeen, Greyfriars in what is transcribed as Left Handsideg Court!! (don't ask just look at the image on SP) there are

John Wilson aged 46 Carter born in Rosshire
Jane Scott Wife aged 42 born Morayshire
James Wilson son aged 18 Carter born Morayshire
David Wilson son aged 15 Carter born Aberdeen
John Wilson son aged 11 Scholar born Aberdeen

The actual places of birth in Rosshire and Moray are the usual Ancestry mince so you would have to look at the image to ascertain what they are. However I'm pretty sure that's your lot.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:34 pm

BTW

This may be James in 1861 tho' I'm struggling to find John Senior. They are in Old Machar, Aberdeen at 4u Leadside

James Wilson Head aged 29 Cool Carter born Speyside
Ann Wilson Wife aged 25 born Puntfield, Aberdeen (Yes I know it is Printfield!)
Margaret M Jones Step daughter aged 6 Scholar born Aberdeen

Hi again

In the 1861 census for England there are a couple of John Wilsons of about the right age for John junior born in Scotland in the Royal Artillery. Do you know if he was with the RA. If he was if you could access his records in the National Archive you would get a lot of information. I found a gunner who was a 3x great grandfather of my kids. You do have to look through the box by hand or get someone to do it for you.

What was John's occupation on his marriage certificate and the certificate of his children's births?

Anne

PS I think Jane probably died before 1855 as there is no sign of her death in the relevant period.
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:03 am

Hi Barclay

Having another quick look at this I've come to the following conclusions:

1. I think you have the right death certificate for John Wilson and he was a carter.

2. That John was the one on the 1841 and 1851 censuses identified by Annette and me.

3.that John was born in Rosshire, probably Cromarty in the early 1800s. There is a submitted entry for a John born 1803 in Cromarty to Smith Wilson and Margaret Urquhart.

4. Jane nee Scott was probably dead by 1855. Having said that I cannot find John senior on the 1861 census though he should be there somewhere. Maybe someone who has credits on SP might find him.

5. Given that their oldest child was born in Moray it is unlikely that they married in Aberdeenshire.

6. There is a James Wilson born 1830 on the IGI in Speymouth to James Wilson and Jane Scott, could be an earlier deceasing James of theirs.

Hope you can make something of all of this.

I'm sure that if on one certificate or another it gives John junior's regiment there may be records at Kew with details about his service.

Anne
Anne

Barclay

Post by Barclay » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted a response to this little conundrum. I've only just seen most of them so I'll take a look and get back to you with my conclusions. Thanks again and feel free to chip in with anymore.