Wilsons

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Barclay

Post by Barclay » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:26 pm

FYI AnneM,

On the marriage certificate of J. Wilson(John is added) and Jessie Urquhart his professionis listed as Private 2nd Batallion 2nd Regiment which I dont think helps. Unless anyone knows who was stationed in Aberdeen in 1867.

This marriage certificate has 3 John Wilson s listed on it, my 2 Johns and the Minister another John Wilson. No wonder I'm having problems finding the correct lot.

John and Jessie were in Ireland I believe from sometime between 1868 and 1888 probably because of the army and 3 if not 4 of the children they had were born in Roscommon and Dublin. But unless anyone knows which regiments were stationed in these places at these times I think it is unlikely I will find his military records.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi Barclay

David WW is your man for military history. He might well be able to illuminate the issue a bit. Nil desperandum on the military records front.

Anne

Unfortunately the entries on the 1851 census which might contain your Johns have no images. Wonder why not.
Last edited by AnneM on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi again

The James Wilson in the census is definitely the brother of your John. On his marriage to Ann Jamieson, a widow, in 1858 he gives his parents as John Wilson labourer and Jane Wilson m.s. Scott (deceased).

I think that makes it more and more likely that Jane was dead by 1855.

I really think you are being a bit pessimistic here as it seems to me that as long as you are sure that you have the correct parents of Edward David Wilson, you have the right family here... shame about the 1851 census image or lack of one.

The entry for the census on Ancestry gives John Wilson senior's place of birth as Cromenty which is almost certainly Cromarty and Jane and James's as Penffrie, Morayshire. I cannot think what the original of that could be but maybe someone who knows the Moray area better than I can.

It does not seem likely that the mason and his family are yours as the occupation is all wrong and the wife survives the husband into the C20, where the mother of James and John dies before either of them marry.

I wonder if the poor law records from Aberdeen survive. Sure someone here will know the answer to that.

I notice that your family seem to be Free Church which means that you may not find records for them pre Statutory Registration.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi again

Can't get away from being fixated with your Wilsons.

I'm pretty sure this is John the carter, born in 1803 in Cromarty.

John, illegitimate son to Smith Wilson, Private in the Rosshire Militia, and Margt Urquhart born 12 Jan last.

Anne
Anne

Barclay

Post by Barclay » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:16 pm

Anne ,

I think you've cracked it with the Smith Wilson and Margaret Urquhart as that would fit with the death records fairly well. I was never very convinced it was the Ellon/Monquhitter lot that were mine(seemed unlikely that they would go from employing 10 men in one census to being in the poorhouse on his death certificate)

Thanks for all your help. Now for miss Scott......

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:48 pm

Hi Barclay

I'm hoping that David W will have some insights on your military ancestors.

Anne
Anne

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:19 am

Hi again Barclay

I've just finished reading, in an interesting book called Wild Scots by Michael Fry, an account of a fairly inglorious action by the Rosshire Militia when they tried to crush a riot against forced evictions at Culrain in Easter Ross. It seems that most of the combattants on the other side were women.

Fortunately it happened in 1820 which is a bit late for your
Smith Wilson to have been involved.

Good book, by the way, if that is not advertising!! Interesting different take on the history of the Highlands from that which we are used to.

Anne
Anne

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:53 pm

AnneM wrote:Hi Barclay

David WW is your man for military history. He might well be able to illuminate the issue a bit. Nil desperandum on the military records front.

Anne

Unfortunately the entries on the 1851 census which might contain your Johns have no images. Wonder why not.
Barclay wrote:FYI AnneM,

On the marriage certificate of J. Wilson(John is added) and Jessie Urquhart his professionis listed as Private 2nd Batallion 2nd Regiment which I dont think helps. Unless anyone knows who was stationed in Aberdeen in 1867.
Hi there !

Missed this thread !

But it should help !

(Any chance of posting the image of the 1867 marriage?)

The 2nd of Foot, if this is indeed the regiment involved here, were the The Queen's Royal Regiment.

However, the second battalion weren't in Scotland at this time, - see http://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/002-2.htm

See also http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/l ... gxrefn.htm for other possible meanings of "2nd".

David

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:39 pm

Hi David

I think he may have been on home leave as he was from Aberdeen and that is where he got married. Barclay has more details about where s/he thinks the regiment was thereafter due to the births of the children. The family seems to have been in Ireland between 1868 and 1888 according to Barclay's post. Looks as though at least for some of the time the 2nd Battalion of the 2nd Regiment of Foot was in Ireland according to the link you posted.

Perhaps he could post the certificate.

Anne
Anne

Barclay

Post by Barclay » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:29 pm

I think you've found the correct regiment for John Wilson I just looked at one of his son's second marraiages and it says he was a private in the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment.

I also have the birth of Robert John Wilson 25/9/1873 in Athlone, Roscommon, Ireland(from IGI) which seems to fit with the link you gave David.

Would there be easily accessable records for this regiment? What would I be likely to find?