McIntee/McEntee etc .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

ninatoo

McIntee/McEntee etc .....

Post by ninatoo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:35 am

Hi all,

I am having a devil of a time trying to find this family on any of the censuses and also I can't find the death for the father John McIntee. I know they were last living in Shotts in 1877 where baby Isabella was registered in Calderhead Lanark.

Father John McIntee born about 1846, mason.
Mother Mary Ann (McAloon) McIntee born about 1847. They were married in July 1870, Calton Glasgow.

Children:
Bernard, born 1870, Glasgow
Mary Patrick Margaret Lizzie Isabella and Catherine were all born after 1870 and before 1878. Catherine is listed at the IGI as being born in Ireland.

When I search for Mc*nt* I get McIntyre as a possible or even McGinty. But every one I have tried has been a dead end (and I have tried LOTS on various censuses). Is anyone able to point me to the right family so I can at least find out where John and Mary Ann were born please?

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:19 am

Before getting involved in wildcards think about the pronunciation..........
in both 1891 and 1901 you'll find the family as McENTEE, which should have been picked up by your wildcard search, ..... but in 1891 Mary's name is shown wrongly (if it is the same family ......... but it looks likely).

Mary's death is easy to find, but not so John's .............

David

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:04 pm

Yes thanks David, I have Mary's death registration and I have been using wildcards to find the rest. I am sorry if this sounds impatient, but please remeber I was not brought up in Scotland so some of the less obvious pronunciations are going to get past me, as well as some that seem natural to Scots at home. Giving me obscure hints is too much of a frustrating tease for me with this family....they have REALLY gotten under my skin.

Would care to actually TELL me where John's is please? How about being more open about which name/spelling to search for, if you know them? Given that I have spent well over what I would like in order to find these records already, I asked for help here. I usually only asked for help when I am truly stuck. So please, any direct assistance?

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

sporran

Re: McIntee/McEntee, etc.

Post by sporran » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Hello Ninatoo,

I feel that you are being a little churlish here. In common with others in the SP User Group, David receives a generous allocation of free credits, and he uses them to help others and to discover flaws in the search methods and the results. We agreed not to use the credits for commercial purposes, and therefore results and images are not presented to people "on a plate". There is always the possibility of the credits being withdrawn. In addition, many people do not want to receive the answer directly but just a hint or nudge in the right direction, and that is what David has provided here.

I realise that you may have spent a lot of time and money on fruitless researches, but a nicer approach might achieve your desired result.

Regards,

John

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:48 pm

Ninatoo wrote:Yes thanks David, I have Mary's death registration and I have been using wildcards to find the rest. I am sorry if this sounds impatient, but please remeber I was not brought up in Scotland so some of the less obvious pronunciations are going to get past me, as well as some that seem natural to Scots at home. Giving me obscure hints is too much of a frustrating tease for me with this family....they have REALLY gotten under my skin.

Would care to actually TELL me where John's is please? How about being more open about which name/spelling to search for, if you know them? Given that I have spent well over what I would like in order to find these records already, I asked for help here. I usually only asked for help when I am truly stuck. So please, any direct assistance?

Nina
(a) I'm not aware of having provided "obscure" hints.

(b) I'm not talking about Scottish accents, but Irish accents, i.e. McINTEE being heard by a Scottish ear when pronounced by someone from Ireland (Ulster?, would be my suspicion) so spelt as McENTEE by the Scottish hearer. I believe that I made this perfectly clear, thereby making the point that such an approach could avoid problems such as here where a wildcard search would produce many McINTYREs, and maybe problematic others.

You indicated a possible/probable Irish connection.

This subject in general, and in particular as regards the effect of Irish accents on Scottish ears has been covered on many previous occasions on TalkingScot.

(c) "but not so John's ............. " means exactly what it says, i.e. I can't find it.

Maybe he didn't depart this mortal coil in Scotland, but was living with the family of one of his wains, quite often the case after the death of the spouse, this family having emigrated, so living furth of Auld Scotia, be that as close as the country of the "Auld Enemy", or as far away as Aotearoa, - the Land of the Long White Cloud, - I can quote examples of both.

Had I had the time and the inclination, I'd have developed the situation as in the previous para in my first reply, but had believed that I'd answered your main question in respect of the 1891 and 1901 censuses.

(d) It would have allowed the use of 6 credits for someone else, had you made it clear that you already have the death register entry for Mary, which, inter alia, provides the valuable information that John was shown as being alive when his wife died.

(e) Your main question related to finding the family in the later censuses and I believe that I provided you with the information to enable you to go direct to these in 1891 and 1901, with the minimal expenditure of SP credits, despite a glitch re the wife's given name in 1891, to which I referred, but everything else fits, including the Head's occupation, and a 20 year old Bernard.

It's always possible that the 1891 family is a different John Mc[I/E]NTEE, also a mason, but a quick check of the Bernards born around 1870 should clear that one up, - I can only see the one............., never mind the fact that 3 of the 1891 entry wains are shown as born in Shotts.

I'm assuming, of course, that you don't already have these 1891 and 1901 census entries.

(f) As sporran notes, (he's also a SPUG member), as a member of the GROS/SP User Group, I receive an allocation of free credits from GROS/ScotlandsPeople.

The primary puprose of these is to beta-test the periodic site upgrades and updates, with a secondary, but still very important objective being to continue to "test drive" the SP site in general and look for basic problems, plus flaws in the search methods and the results, - and there still are a few gremlins lurking in there; although, to be fair to GROS/SoL, many fewer as time goes by (it used to be the situation that problems previously solved re-occurred after major upgrades, but I don't recall that having happened for long time), - the latest gremlin that I discovered turning out to be one that had been reported by another SPUG member some months ago.

Using examples posted by TS members provides good examples to feed into the above process, but it will only be on very rare occasions that the information I find will be provided on a plate to anybody; instead just pointers in the right direction.

Looking at such examples frequently provides a better insight to optimum search strategies on SP, - in fact not just SP, but also the combination of SP, FamilySearch, Ancestry, and a range of other resources such as various Scottish FHS indexes, census and others, plus sources furth of Auld Scotia, - all this in the context of an ever increasingly greater number of on-line resources, so that determining optimum search strategies is actually becoming ever more of a challenge; where there is sensible advice on optimum search strategies these are most often reflected where appropriate in FAQ posts here on TS..............

(g) In conjunction with my retiral from the TalkingScot AdminGroup, retiral, along with my wife, from our full-time jobs, and a move back to our "home county" I'll be spending a significantly lower amount of time on TalikngScot.

That's not to say that I won't still pick up on what I perceive as interesting queries on TalkingScot, but your response sets me back on my heels; and leads me to the realisation that it's maybe time that I started looking elsewhere as well for queries that take my interest.

After all, there's several other ScotlandsPeople UserGroup members who are regular or occasional contributors on TalkingScot; so maybe it's time I spread myself around a bit :shock:

An alternative that I'll now consider more often in the future is providing the info to posters via PM or email.

David

billymac

Re: McIntee/McEntee etc .....

Post by billymac » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 am

Hello there,
I am a new member who stumbled across this old thread while following up a few details of my research.
I see that way back in 2007 you were chasing details on the family, particularly John McEntee, born early 1840s, and married to Mary Ann McAloon.
I have a complete rundown on the family and have many certificates and registrations. (I do tend to want to make sure that my research and information is correct and provable.)
I can tell you that the family came out of Eshywulligan (Eshawilligan) townland in Fermanagh, Ireland. John was the son of Bernard McEntee and Mary Breslin. He had three sisters : Margaret and Catherine, neither of whom married, and Maryann who married a James McDonald of Gallon townland in 1869.
John's father, Bernard had died by the time John married in Scotland in 1870 but his mother remained in Eshywulligan and died there in 1889. Catherine died in 1903 and Margaret in 1921.
John is on the 1871 census (difficult to see if it is 'McIntee" or "McEntee") but not the 1881. I believe the family was back in Ireland at this time. All of John's children were born in Scotland with the exception of one daughter, Catherine, born in Eshywulligan in 1878 and who died in Glasgow in 1880. He is on Scotland's 1891 and 1901 census (as McEntee --although in 1891 the census taker has incorrectly written "Margaret" instead of "Mary Ann" as his wife). His wife Mary Ann McAloon died in Scotland in 1909 and John returned to Ireland. He is back in Eshywulligan in the Ireland census of 1911 living with his sister Margaret. He died in Eshywulligan, aged 75, in 1916.
It took a lot of persistence sorting it out as the family name spelling crops up as McIntee, McInteer, McEntee and McEnteer in Scotland's BDM records.
I have more information if you are still following this line.
Kind regards,
Bill

ninatoo

Re: McIntee/McEntee etc .....

Post by ninatoo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:42 am

Thanks Billymac,

I will answer you in a PM shortly!

Nina