Thomas Stark, born c1835 - can't find a birth record

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Rockford

Thomas Stark, born c1835 - can't find a birth record

Post by Rockford » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I wonder if any of you have suggestions regarding where I go from here in finding out more about Thomas Stark, my 3 x great grandfather.

What I know so far:
Thomas married Mary Farquharson in June 1856 in the Parish of Linton Peebles. On the marriage entry he is listed as being 21 years old and his parents are given as Thomas Stark, Farm Servant, and Margaret Aitken. Interestingly, Margaret is not given as "Margaret Stark, maiden Surname Aitken", which perhaps suggests that his parents weren't married.

In Census records, Thomas consistently gives his birthplace as Penicuik.

On his death in 1909, in the Parish of Glencorse, Midlothian, his parents are again listed as Thomas Stark and Margaret Aitken, and again there is no maiden surname listed for Margaret and she is not described as Margaret Stark. The death informant was Thomas' son Cornelius.

I can find no record of a Thomas Stark being born to a Margaret Aitken and Thomas Stark around 1835. I've searched from 1828 to 1840 and there are some Thomas Stark births, but none that fit. I've also searched for Thomas Aitken births in case Thomas was illegitimate, but no luck there either.

There was one birth of a Thomas Stark in 1834 in South Leith where no parents were given, but this child had been found abandoned.

I've tried various wildcards on SP to see if Thomas Stark and Margaret Aitken are listed as having married at some point, but there is only one Stark/AIKEN marriage listed, but this is in 1737, which is impossible.

I've found a possible candidate for Thomas' father, Thomas Stark, in a man with that name who died in 1886 in Melrose, who is listed as a Land Steward. Thomas the elder was listed as a Farm Grieve on Thomas the younger's death certificate, although this is perhaps a tenuous connection. The man who died in Melrose was a widower, but his wife's name was not Margaret.

Any suggestions? :?

Best wishes

Brian
Last edited by Rockford on Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi Brian,
These look like Margaret and Thomas in 1841

Oakle Of, Penicuik, Midlothian
Jamima Neven, 70, born Midlothian, Ind
Margaret Aitken, 20, born Midlothian, Paper Mill Rag Cutter
Janet Dickson, 20, born Midlothian, Paper Mill Rag Cutter
Elisabeth Murray, 17, born Midlothian, Paper Mill Rag Cutter

Hogs Folly Or New Hall Enty Head, Penicuik, Midlothian
Margaret Leishman, 60, born Midlothian
Mary Burnside, 15, born Midlothian
Agnes Stevenson, 14, born Midlothian
Thomas Stark, 6, born Midlothian
Cornelius Tod, 6, born Midlothian

In 1851, Thomas is a farm servant, but now Margaret is living with Margaret Leishman (who had Thomas in 1841) and it turns out she is her mother!!! In addition, there is a little half-brother for Thomas, young William Murray...

Nine Mile Burn, Penicuick, Midlothian
Peter Robb, 72, Head, born Biggar, Lanarksh, Farmer (100 acres)
Agnes Robb, 63, Wife, born Kennoway, Fifesh, Farmer's Wife
Janet Sommerville, 17, Servant, born Linton, Peeblesh, House Serv
Charlotte Coutts, 19, Servant, born Linton, Peeblessh, Serv
Robert Sod, 19, Servant, born Pennicuick, M Lothian, Farm Serv
John Scott, 17, Servant, born Linton, Peeblessh, Farm Lab
Thomas Stark, 16, Servant, born Pennicuick, Midlothian, Farm Lab

Nine Mile Burn, Penicuick, Midlothian
Margaret Leishman, 76, Head, born West Calder, M Lothian, Spinstress
Margaret Aitken, 38, Daughter, born Pennicuick, M Lothian, Farm Serv
William Murray, 7, Grandson, born Pennicuick, M Lothian, Scholar

[cheers]
Sarah

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:55 pm

Sarah,

Thank you! :D

I've been stuck with Margaret and Thomas for ages and you've helped me make progress (again!). I've tended to make use of the BMD records and use the census to fill out the information on people, once I've confirmed they're mine. It should really have occurred to me to check the Penicuik census for Thomas and Margaret :oops:

I've now found Margaret Leishman's death entry from 1858, where she is described as Margaret AITKEN a Shepherd's Widow, with parents John Leishman and Elizabeth Thorburn.

I don't know if I'll ever find Thomas' father for certain - there are a few listed on the 1841 census, but there aren't any in Penicuik. I suppose the next place to try could be the Kirk Session records :shock:

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:21 pm

Hi Brian,
I've found a likely candidate for Thomas' father, Thomas Stark, in a man with that name who died in 1886 in Melrose, who is listed as a Land Steward. Thomas the elder was listed as a Farm Grieve on Thomas the younger's death certificate. The man who died in Melrose was a widower, but the wife's name was not Margaret!
Two possibilities there...

He married another woman later OR
He was already married when Thomas was born so could not marry Margaret.

In either case, it would appear that he acknowledged paternity, as his surname was given to the boy.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:23 pm

I saw those census results from 1841 but assumed you would have them Brian. I forgot the chant - never assume, never assume (in this business). :wink:

So in case you don't have this - looks like Margaret married the father of William in 1845.

MARGARET AITKEN
Female Family

Marriages:
Spouse: WILLIAM MURRAY Family
Marriage: 19 DEC 1845 Penicuik, Midlothian, Scotland

Kind regards,
Annette M

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:56 pm

Mary - My searching for Thomas snr so far bear out your suggestions, which is why is so difficult to pin him down. This is my first case of potential illegitimacy in the old parish records and I suppose the fact that I couldn't find a marriage for Thomas and Margaret threw me a bit!

Annette - Thanks for the additional information about Margaret's marriage to William Murray - I should be able to find her in later censuses now and to find out when she died.

Thanks to everyone,

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:17 pm

You're very welcome, Brian.

We love mysteries :D
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Rockford

Re: Thomas Stark, born c1835 - can't find a birth record

Post by Rockford » Tue May 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi,

I know that this is an old thread, but I am quite excited!

I have just found an index entry for a Sheriff Court Paternity Case at Edinburgh Sheriff Court in 1835 lodged by Margaret Aitken, Servant to James McLean (Innkeeper) at Nine Mile Burn against Thomas Stark, Farm Servant of Brunstane.

I have ordered a copy of the extract for £5 and am currently sitting by the letterbox with breath bated.....

Hopefully there may be a few snippets of info that fill out some of the gaps and help me confirm I have the right father for Thomas born 1835.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue May 24, 2016 10:34 pm

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Brian :D
It proves that you should never give up hope. Lets hope it's a fiver well spent. =D>

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

karenwalker

Post by karenwalker » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Hello Brian

This is an old post so hope you can read this. Thomas Stark and Margaret Aitken were my 3rd Great Grandparents. Back working on trying to find any information at all on this pair but they remain illusive. We emailed a few years ago but unfortunately I lost your email address. Can you get in touch with me please on here or at ashvilla[*insert the at sign here]aol.com. Many thanks

Kind regards
Karen Walker

*Address altered to avoid collection by spammers