Donald MacDonald

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

eilthireach

Re: Donald MacDonald

Post by eilthireach » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:56 am

trish58 wrote:Hi everyone

Thanks for all the help with searches for Donald, it now looks as if the Edinburgh could be the Edinburgh in Canada

Following links there at the moment.

Trish :)
I have just discovered that there is an Edinburgh in Australia! It is a suburb on the northern side of Adelaide, apparently ... Could that have been where he was from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh% ... _Australia

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:01 am

Hi Trish:

There are several Edinburgh place names in Canada where people may have settled.

1 - New Edinburgh, Ontario
Geographic or Administrative Area: Carleton [near Ottawa, Ontario] This area was more known for farming and logging.
2 - New Edinburgh, Nova Scotia
Geographic or Administrative Area: Digby [near Yarmouth, Nova Scotia] This area was more known for fisheries and boat building.
3 - Edinburgh, Ontario
Geographic or Administrative Area: Sudbury [275 miles nw of Toronto] This area would have been a mix of mining and logging.

A lot of Scots settled in the Ottawa area, but Nova Scotia was by far more heavily populated by Scots.

Hope this of some use. There are a lot of Canadian sources listed in the TalkingScot Library - The Americas http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10349

All the best,
Frances

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:10 am

Could Donald be listsed Daniel - they are often interchangeble...

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi all,
Just to confuse things further, I have a Stewart relative who, by family tradition, was born in Edinburgh. It is looking now like it was a plot of land called "Edinburgh" in... Maryland! :roll: So, have to go back at least another generation to find a birth in Scotland!

All the best,
Sarah

trish58

Post by trish58 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:44 am

This post is 10 years old and another reason to never give up on your research.

Around 6 months ago I decided to see if I could get my head around "Trove" Just wish I had done so many years ago, and did a search for Ruth Irena Mounsey who married the very elusive Donald McDonald back in 1927, low and behold Ruth is there on Trove, and Donald had committed Bigamy.
He married a young 18 years old in 1937 and he was still only 28 (The same age as in 1927) He had also changed the name of his Mother to Alice Tebbs, Father John was deceased, when it went to court in 1940 he was aged 40. He had 3 children with this young lass, he was only sent to prison for 1 month as he wanted to get back to his wife (2nd) and children. Though I think Ida may have also thrown him out as he doesn't appear on any records with her.

He was never a Scot but an Australian from Victoria. I just wish I could find his death to finally wrap him up, this man cost me more money than I care to admit, if only I had been brave enough to try Trove before.
MEANT TO ADD HE HAD ALSO CHANGED HIS NAME TO JOHN MCDONALD.

Trish \:D/
Last edited by trish58 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:30 am

Hi Trish

So glad you sorted out Trove - I always use the advanced search - and although it seems impossible to eliminate some of the non matches that insist on coming up - it works well. The most detailed coverage of inquests, divorces, and of course, court cases can be found. If your families came from outside of the capital cities - all the better - the country newspapers covered everything that was happening in the town and surrounds. Difficult to have any family secrets :D

Happy New Year

(another) Trish

trish58

Post by trish58 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:21 am

Thanks Trish.
Not sure how to use the advanced search, I did try and as usual got into a mess, I was hoping to search some records beyond the 1954 cutoff.

Thanks
Trish
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:41 pm

NSW state library has SMH post 1954 - I don't think there is anything in trove past that date (may be some country papers but nothing from the state capitals).
The state library requires you have a NSW library card & the search is ghastly - browsing is about all I have ever got to work in the rare times I have used it.

The advanced search on trove is good for limiting dates & selecting states and/or papers - but usually only up to 1954

This list gives all the papers in trove & the dates covered
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/titles
They seem to have the Australian Women's Weekly to 1982 - little else past 1954

Trish

trish58

Post by trish58 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Thanks Trish
I do have the library card but haven't tried to use it.
The thing is I still don't have a birth for him either, tried everything. Time to lay him to rest (Until a new lead crops up) :lol:

Trish

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:47 pm

trish58 wrote: I do have the library card but haven't tried to use it.
Trish
If you use the Ryerson index - it is very useful for finding the death notices 1956-1995 (I think that is the end of it). The Ryerson gives the exact date of the publication so only have to search for the notices. It does take a bit of getting used to - especially trying to get a readable size - but worth it if you can't get to a library that has the film copies. This is the log on page for smh
http://ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/login?url= ... rd=Fairfax

Trish

PS Those we can't find always seem to come back to let us keep trying - so no doubt this thread will get another update in the future :)