Hit a Brick Wall - Scottish Birth Records

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:30 am

\:D/ Hi Donna,
So glad it turned out to be the right family! If Robert died in Poplar in 1872 and all the children had gone to Canada, I would imagine that Ellen would go over too... but I can't find her. Anywhere.
Either I'm too tired, or she remarried (or both!)
Anyway, a little mystery remains for the future... in the meantime you have still taken quite a few steps forward!

[cheers]
Sarah

donnab

Re: Hit a Brick Wall - Scottish Birth Records

Post by donnab » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks to everyones help I was able to find the marriage certificate for John and Annie and was able to confirm Annie's parents name and find siblings for her. Thank you so much.

I also just noticed a posting about a son James born in 1868 I really think this is their son I had thought he was born here in Canada but I think its possible that he was now born in the UK. We found another son named Robert for them as well.

Thanks everyone for all your help, I'm going to search now and see if I can find John's brother James haha since he's are only hold out.

Donna

donnab

Post by donnab » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:11 am

It's been a long time since I last posted. I have since found a lot of info on this family since posting my last message. I believe I may have found the parents of Ellen Kennedy who married Robert Liddell I would like to see how I might be able to confirm this.

I believe Ellen Kennedy parents could be John Kennedy and Ann Cattenach, I found a birth info on Scotland People for a Ellen Kennedy born 8 Apr 1825 Kingussie and Insh/Inverness.

I did find very little info on John Kennedy and Ann Cattenach but there is no mention of Ellen Kennedy. I can't find a marriage cert/bann for Ellen and Robert my g-grandmother their daughter Annie was born in 1843 in Canongate, Edinburgh, Scotland so I'm guessing they married in Scotland.

I have my Ellen Kennedy's birth location as St Enoch, Glasgow, Scotland but I don't know where I got that info from, Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Donna

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Hello Donna,

St Enoch's is in Glasgow so I don't think the Inverness birth will be the right one.

Looks like you got the birth info from a previous post by Sarah.
SarahND wrote:Hi Donna,
donnab wrote:I can’t even find a Scottish census report for any of them.
This family has all the right names. Are the ages more or less correct?

273 Canongate, Edinburgh, Midlothian
Robert Liddle, 34, Head, born New Monkland, Lanarkshire [New Moulkand, Lanairdrie], Railway Labourer
Ellen Liddle, 27, Wife, born St Enoch, Glasgow
Ann Liddle, 9, Daughter, born Canongate, Edinburgh
Jane Liddle, 6, Daughter, born Canongate, Edinburgh
Robert Liddle, 4, Son, born Canongate, Edinburgh
John Liddle, 2, Son, born Canongate, Edinburgh

All the best,
Sarah
Regards,
Annette

donnab

Update: Ellen Kennedy and Robert Liddell - Hit a Brick Wall - Scottish Birth Records

Post by donnab » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Well it has been some time since I last post here, I was able to update some info with my search for Ellen Kennedy and Robert Liddell (3rd great-grandparents), still can't find their marriage info but confirmed that when Robert Liddell died in 1872 in England Ellen Kennedy Liddell came to Canada still working on the year but I would guess 1872, she died Sept 28, 1888 in Toronto and is buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery in the family plot owned by her son Robert Liddell my gg-uncle brother of my 2nd great-grandmother Annie Liddell Begley.

On the grave marker is shows that she was born 9 Jan 1815 died 28 Sept 1888. Didn't find an obit yet if any hoped it might provide siblings or parents names, have no parent or sibling names for either Ellen Kennedy or Robert Liddell. Its possible of course that Ellen isn't her birth name but using that search for now since I have no other name and this is even the name used in the burial info provided by her son Robert Liddell.

If any one has a connection to either Ellen Kennedy or Robert Liddell I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank You

Donna