Farquhar - born Paisley, recorded Eaglesham.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

annpa

Farquhar - born Paisley, recorded Eaglesham.....

Post by annpa » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:10 pm

Having the devil of a job finding the birth of my Great-grandmother ELIZABETH CROSSAN nee FARQUHAR. All the details I have found so far, marriage cert, census entries etc, she gives her birthplace as Paisley, 1844, but I have not been able to find a record of birth yet. What I have found, in the Vital Records Index by LDS, is the births of her older sisters and brother, Janet Farquhar, Thomas Lang Farquhar and Christian Farquhar, all down as born in Paisley (Abbey) Renfrewshire, and recorded in Eaglesham, Renfrewshire. The births are between 1832 and 1844. Others do not appear in the VRI. Why would the ones who appear there have been born in one place and recorded in another?
What does recorded mean? recorded in the Parish Register of Eaglesham, although born in Paisley?
I have tried to find her as born in Eaglesham, but no luck. Any ideas, anyone, please?
[size=75] Annpa Fincher seeking
[b]FARQUHAR[/b] Paisley, Glenlivet;
[b]CASEY, CRAMPSEY, KELLY, CROSSAN[/b] Glasgow, Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire;
[b]SPARKS[/b] Inverness-shire, Glasgow, Norwich;
[b]MATHESON[/b] Banff, Ross[/size]

Morag

Post by Morag » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:53 pm

Hi

I also have Farquhars from Paisley , who moved to Barrhead and Neilston, with my part of the family then moving to Falkirk. The names sound as if we could have the same family .
Who were Elizabeth Crossan 's parents ? I have a John Farquhar who married Janet MvPhee in 1840 in Neilston , but John was born in Paisley - his parents were John Farquhar & Catherine Robertson. I have his Father (another John !) but not much else on them , but there were not many Farquhars in that part of the world at that time.
In answer to your question , elsewhere I have an illegitimate birth in Glasgow , but registered in Perth ( where the mothers family all lived ), so I assume she was sent away to have the child and then returned with some tale about how she had come by a baby !

Morag
Searching mainly Stirlingshire - Hastings,Nicol,Honeyman,Nisbet,Tough,Miller - among others

Jack

Re Farquhars

Post by Jack » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:08 am

Hi Annpa,

I remember coming across that a couple of years ago - ie Abbey, Paisley births in the LDS BIVR as recorded in Eaglesham.
They weren't my family, so i never actually tried to find the reason for this. But looks like an error somewhere!
--
I dare say you'll have all these - sorry no more details on censuses.
Seems your G-GM Elizabeth was born abt 1840.

JOHN FARGUHAR
Spouse: MARY LANG
Marriage: 15 APR 1824 Cambuslang, Lanark, Scotland

MARY FARQUHAR - Christening: 14 NOV 1824 Cambuslang, Lanark, Scotland
JANET FARQUHAR - Birth: 09 FEB 1832 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland
THOMAS LANG FARQUHAR - Birth: 25 AUG 1834 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland
CHRISTIAN FARQUHAR - Birth: 18 SEP 1836 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland
--
1841 cens 559 Ed 26 p 3 (Abbey)
Silk St, Paisley.
John FARQUHAR 39, twister, b SCT
Mary 38, b SCT
Mary 15, draw girl, b SCT
James 11, b RFW
Janet 9, b RFW
Christina 4, b RFW
Elizabeth 1, b RFW
--
1851 cens 573-3 (469) Ed 2 p 8 (Abbey)
7 Old Smithhills, Paisley.
John FARQHAR, head, marr, 44, weavers twister, b Glasgow, LKS
Mary FARQHAR, wife, 48, -------- b Glasgow, LKS
Mary FARQHAR, daur, u/m 23, weavers warp winder, b Cambuslang, LKS
Christina FARQHAR, daur, 14, weavers warp winder, b Paisley, RFW
Elizabeth FARQHAR, daur, 12, ----------- b Paisley, RFW
--
Jack
Last edited by Jack on Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:25 am

Ann

Hmmmmmm........

Not unusual to find a birth recorded in another parish when the family moved shortly after the birth, but in this case the dates stretch over a period of 5 years.........

Were Abbey and Ealesham parishes next to each other I would immediately suggest that they lived near the border and attended a church across the border, but it would have been a fair old trek across the whole of Neilston and Mearns parishes to get from one to t'other.

I can think of other possible reasons but only if the parishes were neighbouring and we were looking at a single birth.

All that "recorded" means in this instance, is that the entry was made in the Eaglesham OPR.

Davie

Jack

Post by Jack » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:34 am

Hi Davie,

Seems this was going on for years! I'm still puzzled by them.
This was one of a few i'd noticed.
--
From IGI -

MARY HUTCHISON
Christening: 30 JAN 1791 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland
Father: WILLIAM HUTCHISON
Mother: MARY DUGAL

Source Information:
Batch No.: C115599
Dates: 1785 - 1793
Source Call No.: 1041088, 0102049
Printout Call No.: 6901524
--
From BIVR -

HUTCHISON, Mary
Birth Date: 29 Jan 1791
Christening Date: 30 Jan 1791 Recorded in: Eaglesham,
Father: William HUTCHISON
Mother: Mary DUGAL
Source: FHL Film 1041088 Dates: 1724 - 1800
--
Jack

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:56 am

When I think about it, there is another aspect which I hadn't considered, forbye I've never come across it ....

This is that there was a detached part of Abbey parish next to or in the middle of Eaglesham. Given the history of Abbey, there must be a chance that the church originally owned land elsewhere.

The Phillimore atlas doesn't help, as it doesn't go down to the level of detail that would show Abbey as distinct from Paisley - in fact it shows Paisley as having been created in 1738............

Someone needs to do some digging in terms of the land ownership of Paisley Abbey.....

Davie

Jack

Post by Jack » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:50 pm

Hi Annpa,

Edited previous post to include the census details.
--
Hi Davie,

The Abbey Parish, as you know, did extend well to the south of Paisley, but not sure if they had a wee chunk of Eaglesham too!
I think a look at the OPR films that have those Abbey / Eaglesham births is needed.

The Abbey certainly did own areas well away from Paisley - even north across the River Clyde to Stew's place - the lands of Cochno behind the Faifley!

Just wish the Mitchell was open for a leisurely look at the films - twice already i've wanted to go up and check something, but just in time minded they were shut.
Although i have to admit that the first time i was actually on the bus when i did remember :)

Jack

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:07 pm

Jack wrote:....snipped......

Hi Davie,

The Abbey Parish, as you know, did extend well to the south of Paisley, but not sure if they had a wee chunk of Eaglesham too!
I think a look at the OPR films that have those Abbey / Eaglesham births is needed.

The Abbey certainly did own areas well away from Paisley - even north across the River Clyde to Stew's place - the lands of Cochno behind the Faifley!
Exactly as I'd suspected given the ecclesiastical history of (Paisley) Abbey parish.
Just wish the Mitchell was open for a leisurely look at the films - twice already i've wanted to go up and check something, but just in time minded they were shut.
What's ideally needed is a listing of place names and a check to see just where they were/are located, but that all depends on the level of info in the respective OPRs.
Although i have to admit that the first time i was actually on the bus when i did remember :)
Ouch :!: :!: :-

Orraverybest

Davie

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:16 pm

Jack wrote:The Abbey certainly did own areas well away from Paisley
DavidWW wrote:Exactly as I'd suspected given the ecclesiastical history of (Paisley) Abbey parish.
I had a read at the pages and pages of both (Paisley) Abbey Statistical Accounts. No mention of an exclave in Eaglesham that I could find (not to say I couldn't have missed it in the many pages - I was near cock-eyed by the end of reading that lot) :shock:

I looked at a couple of maps on the NLS digital map site and found no clues there either.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:21 am

AndrewP wrote:
Jack wrote:The Abbey certainly did own areas well away from Paisley
DavidWW wrote:Exactly as I'd suspected given the ecclesiastical history of (Paisley) Abbey parish.
I had a read at the pages and pages of both (Paisley) Abbey Statistical Accounts. No mention of an exclave in Eaglesham that I could find (not to say I couldn't have missed it in the many pages - I was near cock-eyed by the end of reading that lot) :shock:

I looked at a couple of maps on the NLS digital map site and found no clues there either.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson
Andrew

Thanks for all the effort !!

Davie